Finally got widescreen resolution working - correct tips inside. - Debian

  1. Finally got widescreen resolution working - correct tips inside.

  2. Re: Finally got widescreen resolution working - correct tips inside.

    Matt Sicker said...
    > Alright guys, after about 6 weeks of struggling with a crappy 1024x768
    > resolution, I've finally been able to get the 1280x800 resolution working
    > properly as well as my touchpad.
    >
    > First things first, if you have an Intel integrated card controller such as
    > i915G and whatnot (usually comes with the integrated nVidia Geforce Go cards
    > apparently), you're going to need to get 855resolution.

    Not necessarily. I read similar instructions on the Net, but, having
    installed Knoppix, I knew that the i915G could work without
    855resolution. In my case, for a 1400x1050 monitor, all I use is:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
    # 1400x1050 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 82.20 kHz; pclk: 155.85 MHz
    ModeLine "1400x1050" 155.85 1400 1496 1648 1896 1050 1051 1054
    1096 -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection

    That's it. No extra software required.

    The important bit is selecting the matching ModeLine, HorizSync and
    VertRefresh. The above runs my monitor at 75Hz, but I have other
    ModeLines that will run it at other freqs.

    > Replace "gdm" with "kdm" if you use KDE, or whatever display manager you use.
    >
    > From there, you should be able to choose your correct resolution from the
    > screen resolution config applet thinger or by using xrandr.

    In KDE, you can right-click and select Configure Desktop.

    That said, the Nvidia driver is so easy to install, I'd advise using it
    from the off. There are many advantages, but one added advantage is that
    it runs a lot cooler than the integrated chip.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  3. Re: Finally got widescreen resolution working - correct tips inside.

    Matt Sicker wrote:

    > First things first, if you have an Intel integrated card controller such
    > as i915G and whatnot (usually comes with the integrated nVidia Geforce Go
    > cards
    > apparently), you're going to need to get 855resolution. Apt-get install

    Not (necessarily) true. I tried 855resolution and it did nothing for me.
    Turned out I didn't need it.

    > it,
    > and edit /etc/default/855resolution. Before doing that, run this:
    > cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(0x0)"
    > There should be a bunch of lines that say "Mode: ## (0x0)", so remember

    If one of those mode lines actually mentions 1280x800, xorg _will_ support
    it, but may need tweaking.

    > Next, you can edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to include that resolution
    > (say for instance, 1280x800). To get a valid ModeLine, run this:
    > gtf {x} {y} {refresh}
    > Example: "gtf 1280 800 60"

    I still had to do that part...

    > I think there's something you need to do to get 855resolution to start up
    > along with X, but it might be as simple as putting the daemon part in
    > /etc/init.d/

    Exactly.
    --
    derek