A notebook for Debian? - Debian

This is a discussion on A notebook for Debian? - Debian ; Hi, all. I'm gradually migrating from Mandrakelinux to Debian. As soon as possible I want to buy a notebook. Going around the shops I saw a certain number of notebooks, that I'm reporting below. I couldn't find any of them ...

  1. A notebook for Debian?

    Hi, all.

    I'm gradually migrating from Mandrakelinux to Debian.
    As soon as possible I want to buy a notebook.
    Going around the shops I saw a certain number of notebooks,
    that I'm reporting below. I couldn't find any of them listed at:

    http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

    nor at:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com

    .. Is maybe anybody out there who has a direct Debian experience
    (positive or negative) with any of those machines?
    Before buying, I'd like to be sure that Debian Sarge 3.1
    (and possibly Mandrake 10.1 also)
    will work fine with the machine I'm buying.

    Thanks indeed,
    Rodolfo

    ------------------------------------
    Acer 3002LMI
    Acer TM 2312LM
    Acer Aspire 4021WLMI
    Acer Aspire 2413LMI
    Acer AS 1642WLM
    Acer T/M 2355 LMI
    Asus A3500E
    Asus M5200AE
    Asus Z9200VC
    Benq A32.Y01
    Compaq HP R3425EA
    Compaq HP R4017EA
    Compaq HP R4115EA
    HP NX 6110PY500e
    HP Pavilion ZV6181EA
    Olidata CW 1340
    Olidata VS2726
    Packard Bell Easy Note S8400A
    Toshiba Tecra A3
    Toshiba Tecra A5 PTA51E
    ----------------------------------

  2. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    http://www.shoprcubed.com/products.asp?cat=27

    Rodolfo Medina wrote:

    >Hi, all.
    >
    >I'm gradually migrating from Mandrakelinux to Debian.
    >As soon as possible I want to buy a notebook.
    >Going around the shops I saw a certain number of notebooks,
    >that I'm reporting below. I couldn't find any of them listed at:
    >
    >http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    >nor at:
    >
    >http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
    >
    >. Is maybe anybody out there who has a direct Debian experience
    >(positive or negative) with any of those machines?
    >Before buying, I'd like to be sure that Debian Sarge 3.1
    >(and possibly Mandrake 10.1 also)
    >will work fine with the machine I'm buying.
    >
    >Thanks indeed,
    >Rodolfo
    >
    >------------------------------------
    >Acer 3002LMI
    >Acer TM 2312LM
    >Acer Aspire 4021WLMI
    >Acer Aspire 2413LMI
    >Acer AS 1642WLM
    >Acer T/M 2355 LMI
    >Asus A3500E
    >Asus M5200AE
    >Asus Z9200VC
    >Benq A32.Y01
    >Compaq HP R3425EA
    >Compaq HP R4017EA
    >Compaq HP R4115EA
    >HP NX 6110PY500e
    >HP Pavilion ZV6181EA
    >Olidata CW 1340
    >Olidata VS2726
    >Packard Bell Easy Note S8400A
    >Toshiba Tecra A3
    >Toshiba Tecra A5 PTA51E
    >----------------------------------

    Sponsor:
    Fino a 100 Euro di sconto, raddoppio della memoria e upgrade del Monitor Gratis su una selezione di desktop Dell Dimension
    Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick....d=4101&d=22-10

  3. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    It's not on your list, but I am having very good luck with the
    IBM/Lenevo Thinkpad T42. I am running Sid (Unstable) and everything is
    working out of the box. I do need the extra packages of Madwifi for
    the builtin wireless and Linuxant for the builtin modem. Both work
    flawlessly. The builtin CD/RW DVD combo works although mkisofs in Sid
    had some bug so I used k3b from KNOPPIX 4.0.2 to burn a CD.

    It's a nice machine especially since it was furnished to me to use.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

  4. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    I'm using a old IBM Thinkpad T21. Everything works realy fine! IBM was
    the only only company providing good Linux support for thier laptops but
    now Lenovo.. I dont know.

    I realy recommend to buy a Thinkpad for running Linux (wicht destri ever).

    Nate Bargmann wrote:

    >It's not on your list, but I am having very good luck with the
    >IBM/Lenevo Thinkpad T42. I am running Sid (Unstable) and everything is
    >working out of the box. I do need the extra packages of Madwifi for
    >the builtin wireless and Linuxant for the builtin modem. Both work
    >flawlessly. The builtin CD/RW DVD combo works although mkisofs in Sid
    >had some bug so I used k3b from KNOPPIX 4.0.2 to burn a CD.
    >
    >It's a nice machine especially since it was furnished to me to use.
    >
    >- Nate >>

  5. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Hi Florian!

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Florian Ludwig wrote:

    >I'm using a old IBM Thinkpad T21. Everything works realy fine! IBM was
    >the only only company providing good Linux support for thier laptops but
    >now Lenovo.. I dont know.
    >
    >I realy recommend to buy a Thinkpad for running Linux (wicht destri ever).

    Take a Dell Inspiron. I own a 8200 where everything works.

    --
    Regards, GR | GnuPG-key: mail -s 'get gpg-key'
    Ferienwohnungen an der Ostsee | ICQ: 146212092

  6. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    On Sunday 23 October 2005 5:03 am, Florian Ludwig wrote:
    > I'm using a old IBM Thinkpad T21. Everything works realy fine! IBM was
    > the only only company providing good Linux support for thier laptops but
    > now Lenovo.. I dont know.
    >
    > I realy recommend to buy a Thinkpad for running Linux (wicht destri ever).

    I am using a Compaq Armada M700, and it functions just great. This machine
    should be available on the used/refurbished market at a fair deal.

    And yes, Florian's right, we'll have to see how Lenovo deals with continued
    support for Linux on ThinkPads. I believe that IBM saw it as a viable and
    logical outgrowth of their support for Linux on servers. Lenovo doesn't have
    that concern.

    --
    Rob Smith

    Composed in KMail - Support Open Source
    Software for a Free World
    Registered Linux User #337445

    http://counter.li.org/

  7. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Rob Smith wrote:
    > On Sunday 23 October 2005 5:03 am, Florian Ludwig wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using a old IBM Thinkpad T21. Everything works realy fine! IBM was
    >>the only only company providing good Linux support for thier laptops but
    >>now Lenovo.. I dont know.
    >>
    >>I realy recommend to buy a Thinkpad for running Linux (wicht destri ever).
    >>

    > I am using a Compaq Armada M700, and it functions just great. This machine
    > should be available on the used/refurbished market at a fair deal.
    >
    > And yes, Florian's right, we'll have to see how Lenovo deals with continued
    > support for Linux on ThinkPads. I believe that IBM saw it as a viable and
    > logical outgrowth of their support for Linux on servers. Lenovo doesn't have
    > that concern.

    I'm using a second-hand 1GHz Dell Lattitude C610 with DVD R/W and everything
    works in debian (i haven't tried the modem or IR). Beware that many IBMs don't
    have touch-pads.

  8. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Russell Shaw wrote:

    > Rob Smith wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 23 October 2005 5:03 am, Florian Ludwig wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using a old IBM Thinkpad T21. Everything works realy fine! IBM was
    >>> the only only company providing good Linux support for thier laptops
    >>> but
    >>> now Lenovo.. I dont know.
    >>>
    >>> I realy recommend to buy a Thinkpad for running Linux (wicht destri
    >>> ever).
    >>>

    >> I am using a Compaq Armada M700, and it functions just great. This
    >> machine should be available on the used/refurbished market at a fair
    >> deal.
    >>
    >> And yes, Florian's right, we'll have to see how Lenovo deals with
    >> continued support for Linux on ThinkPads. I believe that IBM saw it
    >> as a viable and logical outgrowth of their support for Linux on
    >> servers. Lenovo doesn't have that concern.

    > I'm using a second-hand 1GHz Dell Lattitude C610 with DVD R/W and
    > everything
    > works in debian (i haven't tried the modem or IR). Beware that many
    > IBMs don't
    > have touch-pads.

    Right,

    and everytime i sitting in front of a notebook with a touchpad i love
    more my old thinkpad without one!

    So what.

    Florian Ludwig.

  9. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Florian Ludwig wrote:
    > Russell Shaw wrote:
    >

    >>I'm using a second-hand 1GHz Dell Lattitude C610 with DVD R/W and
    >>everything works in debian (i haven't tried the modem or IR). Beware that many
    >>IBMs don't have touch-pads.

    > Right,
    >
    > and everytime i sitting in front of a notebook with a touchpad i love
    > more my old thinkpad without one!
    >
    > So what.

    So how do you use those things and the mouse stick without getting
    fingers in a twist? Seems awfully awkward (i've tried). A touchpad
    can warp the pointer instantly across the screen. A lot of Dells
    have a mouse stick too (including mine).

  10. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    On 23 Oct 2005, Florian Ludwig wrote:

    > Russell Shaw wrote:
    >
    > > Rob Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm using a second-hand 1GHz Dell Lattitude C610 with DVD R/W and
    > > everything
    > > works in debian (i haven't tried the modem or IR). Beware that many
    > > IBMs don't
    > > have touch-pads.
    > >

    > Right,
    >
    > and everytime i sitting in front of a notebook with a touchpad i love
    > more my old thinkpad without one!

    Agreed.

    I am in the process of scrapping a new Toshiba Satellite for a
    ThinkPad G41, all for the sake of my preference for the
    magicpoint type device. I was shocked that Toshiba got rid of
    the magicpoint feature.

    Chris

  11. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    * Russell Shaw [2005 Oct 23 09:52 -0500]:
    > Beware that many IBMs
    > don't
    > have touch-pads.

    Thank $DEITY!

    I despise the touchpads. Thankfully the T42 has the eraser head and
    the ability to turn the touchpad OFF! I guess when the only choice is
    touchpads, I'll have to rely on an external device. All my other
    Thinkpads I've had have been wonderful machines.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
    http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
    My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
    http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org

  12. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    > I despise the touchpads. Thankfully the T42 has the eraser head and
    > the ability to turn the touchpad OFF! I guess when the only choice is
    > touchpads, I'll have to rely on an external device. All my other
    > Thinkpads I've had have been wonderful machines.

    My T42 experiance with touchpad is uneven. I'm using it occasionally
    but sometimes find that it supersensitive and does things I did not
    expect. My wife played with the touchpad about 30 seconds and handed
    back the PC, returning to her TP-600E with a broken stick and her
    external mouse.

    Although I prefer Debian, it does not support the wireless yet. Also
    for some reason, both Debian-Sid and latest Ubuntu have locked up on
    occasions - most likely due to Xorg or/and possibly touchpad (I will
    look into this shortly). The Debian was a copy from an install from a
    ThinkPad-T20, thus my x config may be incomplete, especially for the
    touchpad which did not exist.

    For this reason I'm generally using SUSE-9.3 or a 10.0 update to it on
    another partition (I generally do new installs but the process of
    choosing what to include without the kitchen sink was taking too long so
    I tried the update which suprisingly was OK).

+ Reply to Thread