Wireless LAN WPA - Debian

This is a discussion on Wireless LAN WPA - Debian ; Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro TE2100 with a min-pci wireless LAN card which is treated as a PCMCIA card. Dmesg reports the firmware as a Lucent/Agere 8.10. I'm running unstable with a 2.6.12 kernel, loading the card with ...

  1. Wireless LAN WPA

    Hi,

    I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro TE2100 with a min-pci wireless LAN card which is

    treated as a PCMCIA card. Dmesg reports the firmware as a Lucent/Agere 8.10.

    I'm running unstable with a 2.6.12 kernel, loading the card with modules:

    hermes, orinoco, orinoco_cs. It works fine with 128bit WEP.

    It's not really too secure with WEP and I was hoping to use wpa_supplicant with

    the hostap driver, to get WPA. I compiled the hostap driver with m-a and

    installed wap_supplicant, but cannot get it to work.

    Am I wrong in thinking wpa_supplicant with the hostap driver should be able to

    give software WPA with a PrismII card?

    Any advise would be welcome.

    TIA,

    Tim

  2. Re: Wireless LAN WPA

    hello...

    Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2005 09:48 schrieb tlwood@iinet.net.au:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro TE2100 with a min-pci wireless LAN card
    > which is
    >
    > treated as a PCMCIA card. Dmesg reports the firmware as a Lucent/Agere
    > 8.10.

    Are you sure? Mini-PCI is PCI not PCMCIA. What does lspci -v say? (No, don't
    paste the whole output ;-) )

    > I'm running unstable with a 2.6.12 kernel, loading the card with modules:
    >
    > hermes, orinoco, orinoco_cs. It works fine with 128bit WEP.
    >

    > It's not really too secure with WEP and I was hoping to use wpa_supplicant
    > with

    You usually use iwconfig for WEP with PSK.

    > the hostap driver, to get WPA. I compiled the hostap driver with m-a and
    >
    > installed wap_supplicant, but cannot get it to work.

    So, what exactly went wrong?

    > Am I wrong in thinking wpa_supplicant with the hostap driver should be able
    >
    > give software WPA with a PrismII card?

    If you are up to WPA (not WEP) you either need a rather new prismII card or
    you have to update it.

    Keep smiling
    yanosz

  3. Re: Wireless LAN WPA

    Hello
    Am Freitag, 21. Oktober 2005 07:47 schrieben Sie:

    > It would appear, as you suggest below, that the card is too old to
    > support WPA.
    > The relevant line from wpa_supplicant is:
    >
    > SIOCGIWRANGE: too old (short) data - assuming WPA is not supported
    >
    > >>Am I wrong in thinking wpa_supplicant with the hostap driver should be
    > >> able to
    > >>
    > >>give software WPA with a PrismII card?

    > > If you are up to WPA (not WEP) you either need a rather new prismII card
    > > or you have to update it.

    > Looks like I'll need to get a new card. I don't want to lose a PCMCIA
    > slot (there are two), plus having the antenna built into the screen
    > surround is a big plus.

    I successfully flashed my PrismII card to support WPA. You might want to take
    a look at
    http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
    and
    http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/firmware/