Mounting local filesystems: failed! - Debian

This is a discussion on Mounting local filesystems: failed! - Debian ; Hello, I am running Debian Testing, kernels 2.6.12-1-686 and 2.6.12-1-686-smp and upgraded recently a number of base packages, including udev, cpio, xorg but also basic services config files, kde, etc. Since the upgrade, at each bootup of either kernel, I ...

  1. Mounting local filesystems: failed!

    Hello,

    I am running Debian Testing, kernels 2.6.12-1-686 and 2.6.12-1-686-smp
    and upgraded recently a number of base packages, including udev, cpio,
    xorg but also basic services config files, kde, etc. Since the
    upgrade, at each bootup of either kernel, I see the following message
    printed in red:

    "Mounting local filesystems... failed!"

    The laptop proceeds with the booting, and everything comes up just
    fine. The above message does not appear in any log file in /var/log.
    Nothing seems wrong with the mounted filesystems. My /etc/fstab is as
    follows (and this is how it was also before the upgrade):

    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /media/winxp ntfs ro,user,noauto,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat rw,users,noauto 0 0

    and the output of "mount" is

    /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)

    I know this is very scarse information. If anyone has any idea what
    might be going wrong, or where I should look for more clues, I would
    be very grateful.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dominique

  2. Re: Mounting local filesystems: failed!

    Thank you for the reply, Ian. The directories exist and are empty:

    do@alien:/var/log$ cd /media
    do@alien:/media$ ls -l
    total 12
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2005-04-24 17:32 cdrom -> cdrom0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-04-24 17:32 cdrom0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-05-16 14:25 sda1
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-07-17 11:01 winxp
    do@alien:/media$ ls cdrom
    do@alien:/media$ ls cdrom0
    do@alien:/media$ ls sda1
    do@alien:/media$ ls winxp
    do@alien:/media$

    I use winxp to mount my (hum) Windows partition, sda1 for the usb
    stick and cdrom for the cd. Here is what happens:

    alien:/media# mount /media/winxp/
    alien:/media# mount /media/sda1
    mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

    I have 3 usb ports of my laptop. If I move the usb stick to another
    port, I can mount it (don't know why, I had noticed this before
    though). Could this be the source of the message?

    alien:/media# mount /media/sda1 (usb stick in other port)
    alien:/media# mount /media/cdrom
    alien:/media#

    No error messages.
    /dev/sda1 does not exist prior to inserting the usb stick, but then
    again, that entry in /etc/fstab says 'noauto'...

    It might just be a glitch somewhere as nothing seems wrong as far as I can tell.
    Thanks much for any help.

    Dominique

    On 10/19/05, Ian Greenhoe wrote:
    > On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 13:12 -0400, Dominique Orban wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > Hi!
    >

    > > My /etc/fstab is as
    > > follows (and this is how it was also before the upgrade):
    > >
    > > #
    > > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > > /dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0

    > 1
    > > /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
    > > /dev/hda1 /media/winxp ntfs ro,user,noauto,umask=000 0

    > 0
    > > /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    > > /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat rw,users,noauto 0 0
    > >
    > > and the output of "mount" is
    > >
    > > /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    > > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    > > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    > > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    > > tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    > > usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    > > tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)

    > Do the directories /media , /media/winxp , /media/cdrom0 ,
    > and /media/sda1 exist? In order to mount something the directory onto
    > which it is mounted must exist. The mount point (directory onto which a
    > filesystem is mounted) *should* also be empty prior to mounting, but
    > that will not cause an error.
    >
    > Also, try running the mount command for your mount points that weren't
    > mounted and tell us what error you get (if any). e.g.:
    >
    > mount /media/winxp
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > -Ian

  3. Re: Mounting local filesystems: failed!

    Hi Dominique,

    I've had some interesting problems with partitions not being detected on
    devices sometimes. With *slow* usb devices like a zip drive this is a
    big problem, but even usb sticks are sometimes a hassle.

    So when I insert the device, it creates /dev/sda but not /dev/sda1 for
    the partitions in it

    My workaround is to:

    1) insert the device
    2) use fdisk to detect the partition table

    fdisk /dev/sda

    3) then mount

    and as a result of (2), I get the /dev/sda1 device node created. I'm
    pretty sure I read of better tools for doing this than fdisk (chkpart or
    something) but I obviously didn't bookmark that site and haven't turned
    up anything on google.

    hope that helps

    cheers
    Stu

  4. Re: Mounting local filesystems: failed!

    On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:47 -0400, Dominique Orban wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply, Ian. The directories exist and are empty:
    >
    > do@alien:/var/log$ cd /media
    > do@alien:/media$ ls -l
    > total 12
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2005-04-24 17:32 cdrom -> cdrom0
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-04-24 17:32 cdrom0
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-05-16 14:25 sda1
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-07-17 11:01 winxp
    > do@alien:/media$ ls cdrom
    > do@alien:/media$ ls cdrom0
    > do@alien:/media$ ls sda1
    > do@alien:/media$ ls winxp
    > do@alien:/media$
    >
    > I use winxp to mount my (hum) Windows partition, sda1 for the usb
    > stick and cdrom for the cd.

    Yeah, I have a windows partition myself. There are few games that
    haven't been ported to Linux yet.

    > Here is what happens:
    >
    > alien:/media# mount /media/winxp/
    > alien:/media# mount /media/sda1
    > mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
    >
    > I have 3 usb ports of my laptop. If I move the usb stick to another
    > port, I can mount it (don't know why, I had noticed this before
    > though). Could this be the source of the message?

    Probably not. From what you've described, I can't see anything that
    would cause this error to be displayed.

    As far as that specific USB port is concerned, does it work under
    windows? If not, I'd say you have a hardware failure. Otherwise, you
    might have a second usb controller that isn't getting initialized.

    > alien:/media# mount /media/sda1 (usb stick in other port)
    > alien:/media# mount /media/cdrom
    > alien:/media#
    >
    > No error messages.
    > /dev/sda1 does not exist prior to inserting the usb stick, but then
    > again, that entry in /etc/fstab says 'noauto'...

    What the noauto means (which I didn't notice before in your fstab) is
    that your system won't automatically mount that particular mount point
    when starting up. You (or some piece of software) have to give an
    explicit command to cause that location to be mounted. So, noauto on
    the cdrom0 and sda1 entries makes sense. You may want to remove it on
    the entry for your windows partition.

    > It might just be a glitch somewhere as nothing seems wrong as far as I can tell.
    > Thanks much for any help.

    Well, looking at your files, I am unable to see anything that would be
    causing the error message to be displayed.

    *light goes on*

    I wonder if you have something trying to remount /proc? *digs
    thru /etc/init.d/ files...* In fact, in /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs, it
    explicitly mounts /proc, so you could comment out the proc line in
    your /etc/fstab file. That is my guess as to what is most likely
    causing the error.

    BTW, don't delete anything from fstab unless you are *sure* that it
    should be deleted. Comment it out instead.

    > Dominique

    -Ian