*Nvidia* + dual head - Debian

This is a discussion on *Nvidia* + dual head - Debian ; I'm hoping to be able to use the VGA out on my notebook to show a different desktop. Probably a common request. Searching the archives, I found this message http://lists.debian.org/debian-lapto.../msg00301.html and I think it is what I want. However I ...

  1. *Nvidia* + dual head

    I'm hoping to be able to use the VGA out on my notebook to show a
    different desktop. Probably a common request.
    Searching the archives, I found this message
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-lapto.../msg00301.html
    and I think it is what I want. However I have a NVidia GForce4 420 Go
    and I think that the NV options make this a little harder to do.
    I have got it to show a cloned screen and to show a side by side view
    where I can drag apps across, but this creates problems when things are
    maximised (java progs for example). If it is possible to have a separate
    desktop, but still be able to swap mouse/keyboard use, I'd appreciate
    any help.

    Thank you,
    Hugh

  2. Re: *Nvidia* + dual head

    On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:19:10PM +0200, Hugh Waite wrote:
    > Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:19:10 +0200
    > From: Hugh Waite
    > To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: *Nvidia* + dual head
    >
    > I'm hoping to be able to use the VGA out on my notebook to show a
    > different desktop. Probably a common request.
    > Searching the archives, I found this message
    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-lapto.../msg00301.html
    > and I think it is what I want. However I have a NVidia GForce4 420 Go
    > and I think that the NV options make this a little harder to do.
    > I have got it to show a cloned screen and to show a side by side view
    > where I can drag apps across, but this creates problems when things are
    > maximised (java progs for example). If it is possible to have a separate
    > desktop, but still be able to swap mouse/keyboard use, I'd appreciate
    > any help.

    I've used this config to watch movie on the second screen while doing
    something else. For example "mplayer -display :1.0 some.avi".

    Hint: in XF86config-4 you should create two device sections, which
    references same card (i've tested this with nvidia driver, not nv), two
    monitor sections, two display sections. Do not use "TwinView" option in
    the Device section.

    Hope this helps.

    Best wishes

    --
    Alexei Chetroi

    Smile... Tomorrow will be worse. (c) Murphy's Law

  3. Solved: Re: Nvidia + dual head

    Hi,
    A report on what seems a surprisingly fast success.

    I always thought that setting up two screens would be quite a simple
    configuration. But I have found much more documentation on Xinerama.
    Playing about with multiple cards in a PC, I could get 1 desktop spread
    out but not multiple ones. With new cards like NVidia's with twinview
    esp. mobile ones, I thought perhaps that it wouldn't let me have two
    screens, that only cloned or spanning desktops might be allowed. However
    this is not true and info on this also appears in Appendix 'P' of the
    NVidia driver README. Extra notes are needed though.

    My Setup:
    Compaq Presario R3000 running a 64bit kernel 2.6.13
    NVidia GeForce4 420 Go (either 32 or 64MB, it can't decide)
    NVidia Drivers version 1.0.7676
    Xorg version 6.8.2
    Laptop screen: WXGA LCD capable of 1280x800
    External Monitor: CRT capable of 1024x768 (probably more)

    When I threw Alexei's config at it (after changing the keyboard) I was
    surprised that it set up my synaptics touchpad, I thought I'd need to
    copy the setup from my current one. Also I didn't need to tell it the
    modeline for the 1280x800 screen.

    What did need adjusting was this.
    The NVidia chip automatically detects what monitors are attached. This
    meant that both "devices" detected both "monitors" and they showed the
    same desktop, both swapping when scrolling over the edge. (They were of
    different viewport sizes though)

    Setting
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT,DFP"
    made the external monitor show the two screens, swapping correctly, and
    made the laptop screen display some pretty but also frightening patterns
    that looked like it was slowly burning from the corners.
    Removing this option and inserting
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
    (and "DFP" respectivly) in the devices has sorted it all out.

    I now have the 1280x800 on my laptop and 1024x768 on the external and
    the mouse swaps between them. Just what I wanted.

    Many Thanks,
    Hugh

    Attached is my new xorg.conf file.

    ### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
    # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
    # Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
    # (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
    # before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
    # "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
    #
    # To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    # as root. Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
    # XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
    # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"