Wireless on HP NX6125 (running 64 bit Debian amd64) - Debian

This is a discussion on Wireless on HP NX6125 (running 64 bit Debian amd64) - Debian ; Hi, I posted this to the debian amd64 list but haven't had a response yet. So I'm trying here. I recently bought an HP nx6125 laptop (Turion 64 based) and have successfully installed Debian-amd64 on it (stock kernel 2.6.12). I ...

  1. Wireless on HP NX6125 (running 64 bit Debian amd64)

    Hi,

    I posted this to the debian amd64 list but haven't had a response yet. So I'm
    trying here.

    I recently bought an HP nx6125 laptop (Turion 64 based) and have successfully
    installed Debian-amd64 on it (stock kernel 2.6.12). I have been monitoring
    this list for the past month or so, before I bought the laptop, and after
    further extensive googling I still cannot find the solution.

    I first installed Debian 32 bit on this machine and was able to get wireless
    working flawlessly using ndiswrapper and the WinXP Broadcom drivers supplied
    with the machine. Due to the double clock speed problem and enthusiasm for
    the amd64 port, I decided to try out the 64 bit version of Debian.
    Installation was a breeze, and I am now trying to get wireless working under
    amd64 (using ndiswrapper and the 64 bit drivers).

    I have tried the generic Broadcom drivers from linuxant and although
    they install with ndiswrapper -i, doing an ndiswrapper -l gives:
    netbc564 driver present
    but no hardware present. iwconfig does not show any wlan0 device :-(

    So, I tried the acer drivers for the Broadcom 4318 chipset. Now ndiswrapper -l
    gives:
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5 invalid driver!

    Has anyone managed to get wireless working on this laptop? If so, any pointers
    or links to working WinXP 64 drivers for this machine would be a great help.
    The relevant lines of lspi -v are as follows (second entry is wireless
    adapter):
    0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788
    Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 308b
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 23
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities:

    0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
    54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 1356
    Memory at d0010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

  2. Re: Wireless on HP NX6125 (running 64 bit Debian amd64)

    Richard Mace wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I posted this to the debian amd64 list but haven't had a response yet. So
    > I'm trying here.
    >
    > I recently bought an HP nx6125 laptop (Turion 64 based) and have
    > successfully installed Debian-amd64 on it (stock kernel 2.6.12). I have
    > been monitoring this list for the past month or so, before I bought the
    > laptop, and after further extensive googling I still cannot find the
    > solution.
    >
    > I first installed Debian 32 bit on this machine and was able to get
    > wireless working flawlessly using ndiswrapper and the WinXP Broadcom
    > drivers supplied with the machine. Due to the double clock speed problem
    > and enthusiasm for the amd64 port, I decided to try out the 64 bit version
    > of Debian. Installation was a breeze, and I am now trying to get wireless
    > working under amd64 (using ndiswrapper and the 64 bit drivers).

    Since ndiswrapper paves the way for a binary driver, you should have no luck
    with a 32-bit driver under pure64. You could set up a 32-bit chroot and run
    it from there.

    > I have tried the generic Broadcom drivers from linuxant and although
    > they install with ndiswrapper -i, doing an ndiswrapper -l gives:
    > netbc564 driver present
    > but no hardware present. iwconfig does not show any wlan0 device :-(
    >
    > So, I tried the acer drivers for the Broadcom 4318 chipset. Now
    > ndiswrapper -l gives:
    > Installed ndis drivers:
    > bcmwl5 invalid driver!
    >
    > Has anyone managed to get wireless working on this laptop? If so, any
    > pointers or links to working WinXP 64 drivers for this machine would be a
    > great help. The relevant lines of lspi -v are as follows (second entry is
    > wireless adapter):
    > ================================================== ==================
    > 0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788
    > Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
    > Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 308b
    > Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 23
    > Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    > Capabilities:
    >
    > 0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce
    > One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    > Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 1356
    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    > Memory at d0010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    >

    > Richard

+ Reply to Thread