Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..." - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..." - Debian ; H.S. wrote: >After the upgrade(I recall hotplug was uninstalled >and udev upgraded), the laptop boot process now stalls at the >"Configuring network interfaces ..." step. Any idea what could be the >problem? I had a similar problem... >~# cat /etc/network/interfaces.guessnet ...

  1. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    H.S. wrote:

    >After the upgrade(I recall hotplug was uninstalled
    >and udev upgraded), the laptop boot process now stalls at the
    >"Configuring network interfaces ..." step. Any idea what could be the
    >problem?

    I had a similar problem...

    >~# cat /etc/network/interfaces.guessnet
    ># This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    ># and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    >
    ># The loopback network interface
    >auto lo
    >iface lo inet loopback

    ># The primary network interface

    >auto eth0

    Most likely, the "auto eth0" entry is making the system try to bring up the
    interface too early...in one case I removed that line, and boot returned to
    normal; it will still come up automatically later if you have ifplugd and/or
    some kind of network detection program like whereami, laptop-net, guessnet,
    etc.

    (Don't remove the "auto lo", however, as that interferes with desktop
    processes and probably other important things, as I discovered after a lot of
    head-scratching!)

    Another reason for this problem can be that the names of the physical
    interfaces can get swapped around, especially after a substantial upgrade - I
    recommend the program ifrename, which allows you to decide what each
    interface will consistently be called.

    Good luck,

    John

  2. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    John O'Hagan wrote:

    >>auto eth0

    > Most likely, the "auto eth0" entry is making the system try to bring up the
    > interface too early...in one case I removed that line, and boot returned to
    > normal; it will still come up automatically later if you have ifplugd and/or
    > some kind of network detection program like whereami, laptop-net, guessnet,
    > etc.

    I commented out the "auto etho0" and rebooted. The boot process stalled
    at "starting MTA ... exim" (or some such thing) step. So, it didn't work
    for me.

    Still, since during the upgrade, udev was upgraded and hotplug was
    removed (udev now provides hotplug I guess), something seems to have
    gone amiss here. I am not sure what to try next.

    > (Don't remove the "auto lo", however, as that interferes with desktop
    > processes and probably other important things, as I discovered after a lot of
    > head-scratching!)
    >
    > Another reason for this problem can be that the names of the physical
    > interfaces can get swapped around, especially after a substantial upgrade - I
    > recommend the program ifrename, which allows you to decide what each
    > interface will consistently be called.

    The name for the NIC is still eth0, since it comes up as eth0 in dhcp
    based or static based interfaces file.

    thanks,
    ->HS