ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..." - Debian

This is a discussion on ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..." - Debian ; Hi, I just dist-upgraded a Dell Inspiron 5160 that was running 2.6.12 kernel and Debian Unstable. After the upgrade(I recall hotplug was uninstalled and udev upgraded), the laptop boot process now stalls at the "Configuring network interfaces ..." step. Any ...

  1. ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    Hi,

    I just dist-upgraded a Dell Inspiron 5160 that was running 2.6.12 kernel
    and Debian Unstable. After the upgrade(I recall hotplug was uninstalled
    and udev upgraded), the laptop boot process now stalls at the
    "Configuring network interfaces ..." step. Any idea what could be the
    problem?

    I tried booting into single user mode, but it stalls at the same point.

    I was able to boot into Debian Unstable by making a change using a
    Knoppix boot cd.

    I had guessnet based setup in the laptop (the guessnet interfaces file
    is listed in the PS below). At boot time, something seemed to be going
    wrong with that. So I booted using Knoppix, mounted the / partition and
    changed the /etc/network/interfaces so that eth0 was using dhcp protocol
    (without using guessnet). I was then able to boot into Debian Unstable
    without any problems.

    But when I tried to use my "interfaces" file which used guessnet
    scripts, the problem came back again and the machine stalled/hanged.
    Rebooting the machine again gave a stall or hang at "Configuring network
    interfaces ..." step. And reverting back to the dhcp protocal for eth0
    worked.

    Anybody has any idea why guessnet would give me this problem?
    I have:
    dhcp3-client 3.0.3-5 DHCP Client
    dhcp3-common 3.0.3-5 Common files used by all the dhcp3* packages
    guessnet 0.36-1 Guess which LAN a network device is connecte

    thanks,
    ->HS

    PS: In /etc/network, I have multiple interface files:
    # ls -1 interfaces*
    interfaces
    interfaces.guessnet
    interfaces.home-dhcp
    interfaces.home-static
    interfaces.pharma

    where "interfaces" is a soft link to one of the other files. I had this
    pointing to interfaces.guessnet so far (Other files were used before I
    started using guessnet, and when I used each one depending where my
    laptop was). Here is my guessnet based file (some IP address are masked
    below):
    ################################################## ################
    ~# cat /etc/network/interfaces.guessnet

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface

    auto eth0

    mapping eth0
    script /usr/sbin/guessnet-ifupdown
    map homedlink homelinux pharmalan
    map default: homelinux

    iface homedlink inet static
    address 192.168.1.14
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns-nameservers x.y.z.q
    up /etc/firewall/fw-desktop-multi-nics.sh start
    test-peer address 192.168.1.1 source 192.168.1.14

    iface homelinux inet dhcp
    up /etc/firewall/fw-desktop-multi-nics.sh start
    down /etc/firewall/fw-desktop-multi-nics.sh stop
    #test-peer address 192.168.0.1

    iface pharmalan inet static
    address aa.bb.cc.dd
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway aa.bb.cc.ff
    dns-nameservers aa.bb.cc.11 aa.bb.cc.22
    up /etc/firewall/fw-desktop-multi-nics.sh start
    down /etc/firewall/fw-desktop-multi-nics.sh stop
    test-peer address aa.bb.cc.ff source aa.bb.cc.dd

  2. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    On 10/15/05, H. S. wrote:

    > On 10/15/05, Derek Broughton wrote:
    > >

    > > I can't help with guessnet, but I wonder why you think ifplugd could be

    > I don't know for sure. But in the past, I had a similar problem (boot
    > stall) and the problem was solved by putting HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="eth0" in
    > /etc/default/ifplugd.
    >

    > involved. ifplugd starts from /etc/rc2.d (by default), while networking
    > > starts from /etc/rcS.d/. The plugging daemon isn't even started when you
    > >
    > > get this hang.
    > >
    > > Isn't there anything in syslog? You really need to know what it's
    > > waiting
    > > for. If there's any way to make guessnet verbose, it would help.

    > Here is what the boot process, that has hanged while using
    > interfaces.guessnet based interfaces script, show on the screen:
    > Configureing network interfaces... guessnet: Missing mac at line 26: only
    > check for the ip
    > guessnet: Missing mac at line 29: only check for the ip
    > guessnet: 2 candidates found in input
    > guessnet: Guessnet 0.36 starting...
    > guessnet: Trying MII detection
    >

    > And that is it. I am going to reboot now, change the interfaces file using
    > Knoppix, and reboot back into Debian Unstable and see what syslog tells me.

    I just checked the logs in /var/log after rebooting into Debain Unstable
    (using dhcp, not guessnet) and found that there are no logs between the time
    I shutdown the machine to boot using guessnet and the time I rebooted the
    machine using dhcp. So apparently, when the machine hangs while trying to
    use guessnet/ifplugd, log enteries are not being entered. Does this make
    sense?

    ->HS

  3. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    On 10/15/05, Derek Broughton wrote:

    > I can't help with guessnet, but I wonder why you think ifplugd could be

    I don't know for sure. But in the past, I had a similar problem (boot stall)
    and the problem was solved by putting HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="eth0" in
    /etc/default/ifplugd.

    involved. ifplugd starts from /etc/rc2.d (by default), while networking
    > starts from /etc/rcS.d/. The plugging daemon isn't even started when you
    > get this hang.
    >
    > Isn't there anything in syslog? You really need to know what it's waiting
    > for. If there's any way to make guessnet verbose, it would help.

    Here is what the boot process, that has hanged while using
    interfaces.guessnet based interfaces script, show on the screen:
    Configureing network interfaces... guessnet: Missing mac at line 26: only
    check for the ip
    guessnet: Missing mac at line 29: only check for the ip
    guessnet: 2 candidates found in input
    guessnet: Guessnet 0.36 starting...
    guessnet: Trying MII detection

    And that is it. I am going to reboot now, change the interfaces file using
    Knoppix, and reboot back into Debian Unstable and see what syslog tells me.

    Thanks,
    ->HS

  4. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    --
    derek

  5. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    H. S. wrote:

    > On 10/15/05, H. S. wrote:
    >>

    >> On 10/15/05, Derek Broughton wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I can't help with guessnet, but I wonder why you think ifplugd could be

    >> I don't know for sure. But in the past, I had a similar problem (boot
    >> stall) and the problem was solved by putting HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="eth0" in
    >> /etc/default/ifplugd.

    If it's really a hotplug interface (ie, PC-card or USB),
    then /etc/init.d/networking may stall if the interface is set to "auto"
    in /etc/network/interfaces.

    >> Here is what the boot process, that has hanged while using
    >> interfaces.guessnet based interfaces script, show on the screen:
    >> Configureing network interfaces... guessnet: Missing mac at line 26: only
    >> check for the ip
    >> guessnet: Missing mac at line 29: only check for the ip
    >> guessnet: 2 candidates found in input
    >> guessnet: Guessnet 0.36 starting...
    >> guessnet: Trying MII detection

    > I just checked the logs in /var/log after rebooting into Debain Unstable
    > (using dhcp, not guessnet) and found that there are no logs between the
    > time I shutdown the machine to boot using guessnet and the time I rebooted
    > the machine using dhcp. So apparently, when the machine hangs while trying
    > to use guessnet/ifplugd, log enteries are not being entered. Does this
    > make sense?

    Except that ifplugd isn't running, yet...

    Try removing "auto eth0" from the /etc/network/interfaces file. Whether
    it's a hotplug interface or not, once ifplugd _does_ start, it should try
    to bring it up using "ifup eth0", which will get into the guessnet script.
    --
    derek

  6. Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

    Derek Broughton wrote:
    > H. S. wrote:

    >>>I don't know for sure. But in the past, I had a similar problem (boot
    >>>stall) and the problem was solved by putting HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="eth0" in
    >>>/etc/default/ifplugd.

    > If it's really a hotplug interface (ie, PC-card or USB),
    > then /etc/init.d/networking may stall if the interface is set to "auto"
    > in /etc/network/interfaces.
    >
    >>>Here is what the boot process, that has hanged while using
    >>>interfaces.guessnet based interfaces script, show on the screen:
    >>>Configureing network interfaces... guessnet: Missing mac at line 26: only
    >>>check for the ip
    >>>guessnet: Missing mac at line 29: only check for the ip
    >>>guessnet: 2 candidates found in input
    >>>guessnet: Guessnet 0.36 starting...
    >>>guessnet: Trying MII detection

    >>I just checked the logs in /var/log after rebooting into Debain Unstable
    >>(using dhcp, not guessnet) and found that there are no logs between the
    >>time I shutdown the machine to boot using guessnet and the time I rebooted
    >>the machine using dhcp. So apparently, when the machine hangs while trying
    >>to use guessnet/ifplugd, log enteries are not being entered. Does this
    >>make sense?

    > Except that ifplugd isn't running, yet...
    >
    > Try removing "auto eth0" from the /etc/network/interfaces file. Whether
    > it's a hotplug interface or not, once ifplugd _does_ start, it should try
    > to bring it up using "ifup eth0", which will get into the guessnet script.

    (repeating reply to this thread too; the thread seesm to have broken for
    some reason)
    For some reason, after upgrading today (which included quite a bit of
    xorg and udev - 0.070-5) it seems to be working properly now. The hang
    up at boot time has stopped from happening.

    Just as an excercise, I tried reconfiguring exim4 (dpkg-reconfigure
    exim4-config) and tried two options separately:
    1. no configuration for now
    2. minimal dns? No and then Yes. (last step)
    All these changes did not have any affect on booting, all worked.

    For the record, "auto eth0" does not appear in my interfaces file
    anymore. Haven't tried by including it again. But yesterday boot process
    was hanging in either case.

    So it seems like udev upgrading seems to have solved the problem (Now
    that I come to think of it, udev seems to have caused quite a bit of
    problem in the recent months). Of course, I can't know for sure what the
    problem really was.

    thanks to all,
    ->HS