How does one control fans? - Debian

This is a discussion on How does one control fans? - Debian ; Koen Vermeer wrote: > If your system is really running too hot (more so than when running XP), > look at what process is taking CPU time. Or maybe you aren't using > throttling, so the CPU is always running ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: How does one control fans?

    Koen Vermeer wrote:

    > If your system is really running too hot (more so than when running XP),
    > look at what process is taking CPU time. Or maybe you aren't using
    > throttling, so the CPU is always running at full speed? In that case,
    > enable CPU frequency scaling and make sure it runs with the right
    > governor (probably 'conservative').
    >
    > Otherwise, maybe the thermal trip points are too low. Look
    > at /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature to determine the temperature
    > according to the system. Then look
    > at /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points to see the trip points. In
    > my case, it shows something like
    >
    > critical (S5): 100 C
    > passive: 92 C: blabla
    > active[0]: 66 C: blabla
    > active[1]: 63 C: blabla
    >
    > This means that at 63 degrees, the fan (FAN1) starts blowing, at 66
    > degrees FAN0 also starts, at 92 degrees the system is throttled, and at
    > 100 degrees it's turned off. Also, my current temperature is 42 degrees,
    > and the fans are indeed turned off.
    >
    > For more information, look at
    > http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/thermal.html
    >
    > Koen

    I am using cpufreqd and it helps quite a bit, but my fan is still noisy
    and as the OP it is ON even when the laptop is not noticably hot.

    I have:
    $> cat cooling_mode

    cooling mode: critical
    $> cat trip_points
    critical (S5): 90 C

    That 90C was 88C before I tried this command:
    /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM# echo 90:0:70:0:0 > trip_points

    So this command did not give different trip points, only the critical
    value was changed.

    How do I set the cooling mode and/or the trip points?

    ->HS

  2. Re: How does one control fans?

    If it doesn't show up more than the critical trip point, your system probably
    does not support more than the "critical" shutdown. This could mean that your
    fans are hardware controlled. I don't know if it can also mean, that the
    Linux ACPI drivers are not working for your system yet.

    I have the same problem, but I don't have Windows on the laptop to compare,
    whether the fan is supposed to turn off.

    Am Samstag, 15. Oktober 2005 21:31 schrieb H.S.:
    > I am using cpufreqd and it helps quite a bit, but my fan is still noisy
    > and as the OP it is ON even when the laptop is not noticably hot.
    >
    > I have:
    > $> cat cooling_mode
    >
    > cooling mode: critical
    > $> cat trip_points
    > critical (S5): 90 C
    >
    > That 90C was 88C before I tried this command:
    > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM# echo 90:0:70:0:0 > trip_points
    >
    > So this command did not give different trip points, only the critical
    > value was changed.
    >
    > How do I set the cooling mode and/or the trip points?
    >
    > ->HS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2