Netowrk interface ids keep changing order - Debian

This is a discussion on Netowrk interface ids keep changing order - Debian ; Each time I boot, the order of eth0, eth1 and eth2 is random. Is there a way to fix their order? -- Best, Marc -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org...

  1. Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  2. Re: Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    Dne st 12. jna 2005 0:23 marc napsal(a):
    > Each time I boot, the order of eth0, eth1 and eth2 is random.
    >
    > Is there a way to fix their order?

    Try to look at
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...#s-high-rename

    Mixi

  3. Re: Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 00:45 +0200, Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:
    > Dne st 12. ř*jna 2005 0:23 marc napsal(a):
    > > Each time I boot, the order of eth0, eth1 and eth2 is random.
    > > Is there a way to fix their order?

    > Try to look at
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...#s-high-rename

    Alternatively, you could try writing an udev rule for this:
    http://www.reactivated.net/writing_u...#example-iface

    Koen

  4. Re: Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    Koen Vermeer said...
    > On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 00:45 +0200, Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:
    > > Dne st 12. =3F*jna 2005 0:23 marc napsal(a):
    > > > Each time I boot, the order of eth0, eth1 and eth2 is random.
    > > > Is there a way to fix their order?

    > > Try to look at
    > > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...#s-high-rename

    > Alternatively, you could try writing an udev rule for this:
    > http://www.reactivated.net/writing_u...#example-iface

    Thanks, Koen.

    This worked and was very easy to setup, and worked first time -
    something that I haven't experienced for about three weeks!

    Here's the short HOWTO:

    To rename network devices using udev.

    The udev scripts reside here:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/
    and are actioned in lexical order.

    So, create a script that will run first, say:
    010_local.rules

    Query the interface to find its (all lowercase) MAC with:
    # udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/net/eth0/

    Add lines for each interface like:
    KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:52:8b:d5:04:48", NAME="lan"

    After you add rules, they must be made known to udev by:
    # udevstart

    A reboot will be necessary for network cards, because the drivers need
    to be reloaded.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  5. Re: Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    Miroslav Maiksnar said...
    > Dne st 12. rjna 2005 0:23 marc napsal(a):
    > > Each time I boot, the order of eth0, eth1 and eth2 is random.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to fix their order?

    > Try to look at
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...#s-high-rename

    Thanks.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  6. Re: Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 10:44 +0100, marc wrote:
    > This worked and was very easy to setup, and worked first time -
    > something that I haven't experienced for about three weeks!

    It wouldn't be much of a hobby if everything worked out-of-the-box! :-)

    > Here's the short HOWTO:

    Thanks for the howto; I'm sure other will benefit from it!

    Koen

  7. Re: Netowrk interface ids keep changing order

    Koen Vermeer said...
    > On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 10:44 +0100, marc wrote:
    > > This worked and was very easy to setup, and worked first time -
    > > something that I haven't experienced for about three weeks!

    > It wouldn't be much of a hobby if everything worked out-of-the-box! :-)

    Ah, but I bought this laptop to do real work - not that I've done much
    these past two weeks :-o At least, not of the paying kind.

    Debian on the servers has been great, but this experience has been
    'interesting'. I couldn't recommend Linux on a laptop to the masses yet,
    but unless folk like us beat it into shape, then it'll never get there.

    > > Here's the short HOWTO:

    > Thanks for the howto; I'm sure other will benefit from it!

    :-)

    Maybe I should start another thread, but I see in the weekly info that
    hotplug is almost officially dead, with udev taking over. I'm
    considering removing hotplug and wondered what folk's opinions were on
    this.

    I'd also be interested on whether folk recommend discover or discover1
    or neither.

    --
    Best,
    Marc