suspend problems - Debian

This is a discussion on suspend problems - Debian ; Hello all, I've got Acer Travelmate 4050-series laptop (don't remember the exact model, I can check it later if it's important). It works quite well with Debian, the only problem is suspend/resume function, which is annoying because the system takes ...

  1. suspend problems

    Hello all,

    I've got Acer Travelmate 4050-series laptop (don't remember the
    exact model, I can check it later if it's important). It works quite
    well with Debian, the only problem is suspend/resume function, which
    is annoying because the system takes ages to boot (I'm using KDE and
    lots of daemons and I need them). What I got now is:
    - standby works, but the machine takes too much power in this mode so
    it's not much use,
    - suspend to RAM works - but resume doesn't, the screen stays blank,
    the HDD becomes very busy, the keyboard doesn't work (even the special
    keys) and I have to poweroff the machine to get it back to a usable
    state,
    - suspend to disk doesn't work at all.
    Anything I can do about it? I heard that some modules cause problems
    with suspend and they should be unloaded, then loaded back, there are
    some scripts for that. Where do I put these scripts and which modules
    might be problematic?

    I tried with Debian kernels (different versions). I can compile my own,
    but I'd rather avoid it.

    Igor Wawrzyniak

  2. Re: suspend problems

    Hi,

    > I've got Acer Travelmate 4050-series laptop (don't remember the
    > exact model, I can check it later if it's important). It works quite
    > well with Debian, the only problem is suspend/resume function, which
    > is annoying because the system takes ages to boot (I'm using KDE and
    > lots of daemons and I need them). What I got now is:
    > - standby works, but the machine takes too much power in this mode so
    > it's not much use,
    > - suspend to RAM works - but resume doesn't, the screen stays blank,
    > the HDD becomes very busy, the keyboard doesn't work (even the special
    > keys) and I have to poweroff the machine to get it back to a usable
    > state,
    > - suspend to disk doesn't work at all.
    > Anything I can do about it? I heard that some modules cause problems
    > with suspend and they should be unloaded, then loaded back, there are
    > some scripts for that. Where do I put these scripts and which modules
    > might be problematic?

    which vga adapter is in your laptop?
    have you tried the the kernel parameters:

    acpi_sleep= [HW,ACPI] Sleep options
    Format: { s3_bios, s3_mode }
    See Documentation/power/video.txt
    (see kernel documentation, kernel-parameters)

    normally, if you use an 2.6er kernel an your bios isn't too buggy a
    acpi_sleep=s3_bios
    should bring you back your display.

    For Suspend in general, install the hibernation package..

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  3. Re: suspend problems

    Thanks for all the suggestions, it took me a while before I found time to try
    them.

    I appended the kernel option, installed hibernate package and tried to boot
    the system without any daemons and modules. The screen came up, but it was
    full of messages like this (hope I got them right, I couldn't copy them and
    had to write them down):

    hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
    hda: task_in_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown

    (plus a few other messages about EXT3 fs errors, but probably IDE errors where
    responsible for them)

    Does anybody know what to do about it?

    --
    Igor Wawrzyniak