ipw2200 installation - Debian

This is a discussion on ipw2200 installation - Debian ; Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)? I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else needs to be done/installed. The card works under Knoppix without any ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. ipw2200 installation

    Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)?

    I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there
    are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else
    needs to be done/installed.

    The card works under Knoppix without any problems.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  2. Re: ipw2200 installation

    marc said...
    > Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)?
    >
    > I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there
    > are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else
    > needs to be done/installed.
    >
    > The card works under Knoppix without any problems.

    Please disregard this. I'm going straight to the source at
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ and commencing battle there :-)

    The optimist in me tells me that it'll work first time!

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  3. Re: ipw2200 installation

    My attempts to compile the kernel over the years has been uneven, so I
    just jumped to SUSE9.3 from Debian. Still keeping Debian and Ubuntu
    however. I understand that the new Ubuntu provides ipw2200 and expect
    Debian will also soon. If you cannot wait, get Ubuntu, Debian based.

    Suse also provides suspend to disk and ram, Debian: only to ram, Ubuntu
    neither right now (but on my T20, to disk). Currently using a ThinkpadT42.

  4. Re: ipw2200 installation

    On Monday 10 October 2005 04:58, marc wrote:
    > marc said...
    >
    > > Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)?
    > >
    > > I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there
    > > are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else
    > > needs to be done/installed.
    > >
    > > The card works under Knoppix without any problems.

    > Please disregard this. I'm going straight to the source at
    > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ and commencing battle there :-)
    >
    > The optimist in me tells me that it'll work first time!
    >
    > --
    > Best,
    > Marc

    Maybe you should try module-assistant. It should be as easy as

    module-assistant prepare (if you haven't done that before for your new kernel)
    module-assistant auto-install ipw2200

    Luca

  5. Re: ipw2200 installation

    Tako rzecze marc:
    > > Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)?
    > >
    > > I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there
    > > are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else
    > > needs to be done/installed.
    > >
    > > The card works under Knoppix without any problems.

    > Please disregard this. I'm going straight to the source at
    > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ and commencing battle there :-)

    Good luck then. I tried ipw2200 with kernel 2.6.13 (compiled from the source)
    and 2.6.12 (from Debian testing) and it failed to load firmware. Works with
    Debian kernel 2.6.11.

    Igor Wawrzyniak

  6. Re: ipw2200 installation

    Hi, I have an ACER Travel Mate 4100 with a button to active ipw2200.
    The problem is about a keycodes , that don┤t understand when I press the
    button.
    I have installed the packets correctly, I have the ipw2200 in mode
    monitor(all OK) BUT THE IPW2200 IS OFF. How can I activate the interface?

    Thanks

  7. Re: ipw2200 installation

    well, if the firmware loads OK and the module loads OK, the you could try
    passing the led=1 opppption to the module when you load it. worx on my
    tm4001...and you even get the fancy led light.
    cheers
    ps.: i think the travelmates have hardware rfswitch...but hit me if I'm
    wrong ;=)

    >On Monday 10 October 2005 23:26, Miguel Alvarez Ramirez wrote:
    > Hi, I have an ACER Travel Mate 4100 with a button to active ipw2200.
    > The problem is about a keycodes , that don┤t understand when I press the
    > button.
    > I have installed the packets correctly, I have the ipw2200 in mode
    > monitor(all OK) BUT THE IPW2200 IS OFF. How can I activate the interface?
    >
    > Thanks

  8. Re: ipw2200 installation

    marc said...
    > marc said...
    > > Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)?
    > >
    > > I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there
    > > are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else
    > > needs to be done/installed.
    > >
    > > The card works under Knoppix without any problems.

    > Please disregard this. I'm going straight to the source at
    > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ and commencing battle there :-)

    Okay, maybe it's not so clear.

    The detail says:

    In order to use the IPW2200 driver you will need the following:
    1. Linux (of course) with a 2.6.4+ kernel [link]. See the INSTALL
    document for information on specific options required to be enabled in
    the kernel.

    Check

    2. Wireless Extensions (v16) and Tools (v27-pre23) [link]

    Wire tools, no problem. Vut what is Wireless extensions?

    3. The IPW2200 driver. You can obtain the latest development snapshot
    below.

    Check

    4. The IPW2200 binary firmware image. The firmware can be obtained here.

    Check

    However, the install doc (a truly horrendous doc) says:

    "You will also need to have sysfs mounted. You can do this by adding an
    entry to /etc/fstab similar to this:

    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0"

    Is this a definite requirement? And if so, why can't it just use /sys?

    I feel like asking why this "just worked" two weeks ago in XP. But then
    it also "just worked" two weeks ago in Knoppix!

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  9. Re: ipw2200 installation

    On Tuesday 11 October 2005 00:30, marc wrote:
    > "You will also need to have sysfs mounted. You can do this by adding an
    > entry to /etc/fstab similar to this:
    >
    > none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0"

    I guess, adding this line to /etc/fstab will solve your problems.
    You will either have to reboot or as root execute "mount /sys" after you've
    added the line. Give it a try!

    Cheers, Michael.

  10. Re: ipw2200 installation

    Michael Kelm said...
    > On Tuesday 11 October 2005 00:30, marc wrote:
    >
    > > the install doc says:
    > >
    > >"You will also need to have sysfs mounted. You can do this by adding an
    > > entry to /etc/fstab similar to this:

    > > none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0"

    > > Is this a definite requirement? And if so, why can't it just use /sys?

    > I guess, adding this line to /etc/fstab will solve your problems.
    > You will either have to reboot or as root execute "mount /sys" after you've
    > added the line. Give it a try!

    Ah, but I didn't say that I had a problem :-) Yet! This is today's job.

    What I would like to know is whether this is a genuine requirement for
    IPW2200 and why. In other words, I want to understand why this is
    necessary.

    Since /sys is synonymous with /sysfs, and since /sysfs isn't created by
    default during a sarge install and by a further upgrade to etch, then
    this mount seems to be a random an unnecessary event. If it isn't, then
    I'd like to understand why. Reading man sysfs, it says that with the
    proc FS mounted on /proc, then the same information can be derived from
    /proc/filesystems.

    A quick cat on that shows not only sysfs, but also usbfs and tmpfs,
    which I've also heard quoted as being necessary. /sysfs (not sysfs)
    appears to be deprecated, but, as I said, I'd like to be clear what is
    occurring here.

    I can see that there is a package, sysfsutils, that provides tools to
    query this VFS.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  11. Re: ipw2200 installation

    On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 09:46 +0100, marc wrote:
    > What I would like to know is whether this is a genuine requirement for
    > IPW2200 and why. In other words, I want to understand why this is
    > necessary.

    No, it isn't a requirement to have that line in /etc/fstab. The
    requirement is only that you have sysfs mounted as /sys. On my Debian
    system, /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs takes care of mounting /sys, and I don't
    have the line in /etc/fstab, yet ipw2200 works.

    Koen

  12. Re: ipw2200 installation

    Koen Vermeer said...
    > On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 09:46 +0100, marc wrote:
    > > What I would like to know is whether this is a genuine requirement for
    > > IPW2200 and why. In other words, I want to understand why this is
    > > necessary.

    > No, it isn't a requirement to have that line in /etc/fstab. The
    > requirement is only that you have sysfs mounted as /sys. On my Debian
    > system, /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs takes care of mounting /sys, and I don't
    > have the line in /etc/fstab, yet ipw2200 works.

    It seems that /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs and this thread
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg01149.html might provide
    some answers. /sysfs is already mounted regardless of fstab.

    Now I can get on and compile and install IPW2200 :-)

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  13. Re: ipw2200 installation

    marc said...
    > Which packages are required to install ipw2200 (2.6.13.3 kernel)?
    >
    > I've installed ipw2200-firmware, without success. Unfortunately there
    > are no docs with the package, so it's not clear whether something else
    > needs to be done/installed.
    >
    > The card works under Knoppix without any problems.

    Sheesh! This is tedious!

    As I understand it, one has to load:
    1. the 80211 stack
    2. the firmware
    3. the drivers

    1. I installed the deb ieee80211-source, compiled it, and can
    # modprobe ieee80211
    Hurrah!

    2. Since I'm running 2.6.13-3 - so can't use the beds - I downloaded the
    v2.3 firmware and have copied the files to
    /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware

    Question: how do I test whether the firmware has "taken"?

    (I did # modprobe firmware_class, which worked, but #lsmod only links it
    to pcmcia. The only reason I did # modprobe firmware_class was because
    it seems to be suggested by the IPW2200 install doc.)

    Another doc I read suggests doing
    # /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent
    but I don't understand how that works. man hotplug made things even
    cloudier.

    3. Not sure if it's worth progressing until I can see that the firmware
    install has worked. But I have v1.06, which matches firmware v2.3 as I
    understand it.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  14. Re: ipw2200 installation

    Dnia poniedziałek, 10 października 2005 23:26, Miguel Alvarez Ramirez napisał:
    > Hi, I have an ACER Travel Mate 4100 with a button to active ipw2200.
    > The problem is about a keycodes , that don┬┤t understand when I press the
    > button.
    > I have installed the packets correctly, I have the ipw2200 in mode
    > monitor(all OK) BUT THE IPW2200 IS OFF. How can I activate the interface?
    >
    > Thanks

    I use acerhk module and have to put
    echo "1" >/proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled
    from keyboard or from shellscript and after this I use load program from
    ipw2200 source package.
    This force me to think that the switch on AcerTravelmate 4001WLMi is not
    hardware switch.
    --
    z.a.kaleta (sanskryt), registered Linux User #279350

  15. Re: ipw2200 installation

    Okay, all done!

    Trying to compile IPW2200 v1.06 against the ieee80211 deb produced a
    bunch of compile errors, so I unloaded that and went straight to the
    source: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ and downloaded the latest.

    The make of ieee80211 asked to remove
    /include/net/ieee80211.h
    so I saved it and let it remove it. It didn't create a replacement, so I
    put the old one back afterwards, in case I want to recompile my kernel!

    I'd already copied the v2.3 firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware, so I
    attempted to make ipw2200 v1.06 again, and this time it worked. Ditto
    the make install.

    After
    modprobe ieee80211
    and
    modprobe ipw2200
    I used gnome's networking tool to bring up the card, which was pinging
    the router by this time.

    Time to move to a quieter room and enjoy my freedom again :-)

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  16. Re: ipw2200 installation

    hmm..I think we aren't talking about the same laptop, have a look at this page
    ( http://rfswitch.sourceforge.net/?page=laptop_matrix ) it gives you an idea
    of how to enable the button, though mine worked out of the box, just the led
    didn't blink...
    regs

    napisał:
    > > Hi, I have an ACER Travel Mate 4100 with a button to active ipw2200.
    > > The problem is about a keycodes , that don┬┤t understand when I press the
    > > button.
    > > I have installed the packets correctly, I have the ipw2200 in mode
    > > monitor(all OK) BUT THE IPW2200 IS OFF. How can I activate the interface?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I use acerhk module and have to put
    > echo "1" >/proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled
    > from keyboard or from shellscript and after this I use load program from
    > ipw2200 source package.
    > This force me to think that the switch on AcerTravelmate 4001WLMi is not
    > hardware switch.
    > --
    > z.a.kaleta (sanskryt), registered Linux User #279350

  17. Re: ipw2200 installation

    On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 21:50 +0200, john wrote:
    > hmm..I think we aren't talking about the same laptop, have a look at this page
    > ( http://rfswitch.sourceforge.net/?page=laptop_matrix ) it gives you an idea
    > of how to enable the button, though mine worked out of the box, just the led
    > didn't blink...

    Did you try the option 'led=1'?

    Koen

  18. ipw2200 Acer TM 4100

    About ipw2200
    I have tried led=1 when insmod ipw2200.., echo 1> ....wirelessled ... but
    nothing

    With Fedora Core4, Debian Sarge, Debian Woody, Ubuntu, Gentoo...hit happens
    the same, when i press the wireless button it appears a message:
    atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd6 on
    isa0060/serio0).
    atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e056 ' to make it known.
    atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd5 on
    isa0060/serio0).
    atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e055 ' to make it known.

    And then
    ipw2200: Failed to up device

    Also i see this with dmesg:

    ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.0.0
    ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
    ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    ipw2200: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
    Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.

    Only Ubuntu notices me that the Kill Switch is On in the instalation...i
    press the wireless button but nothing (

    Thanks

    Miguel

  19. Re: ipw2200 Acer TM 4100

    On Thursday 13 October 2005 08:57, Koen Vermeer wrote:
    > On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 09:54 +0200, Miguel Alvarez Ramirez wrote:
    > > About ipw2200
    > > I have tried led=1 when insmod ipw2200.., echo 1> ....wirelessled ... but
    > > nothing

    > Did you try acerhk? According to the website, it works with the TM 4100.
    >
    > Koen

    Has anyone produced a deb for acerhk so that it could be used with
    module-assistant?

    David

  20. Re: ipw2200 Acer TM 4100

    * David Goodenough [051013 10:44]:
    > Has anyone produced a deb for acerhk so that it could be used with
    > module-assistant?

    You can try this

    http://kanotix.com/files/debian/pool/main/a/acerhk/

    Cheers,