remote X weirdness - Debian

This is a discussion on remote X weirdness - Debian ; This is not a strictly laptop problem, but I see it on a laptop :-) It happens at least on Libranet 2.8, and I seem to recall seeing it happen on other Debians. I "ssh -XC ", then "firefox" or ...

  1. remote X weirdness

    This is not a strictly laptop problem, but I see it on a laptop :-)

    It happens at least on Libranet 2.8, and I seem to recall seeing it
    happen on other Debians.

    I "ssh -XC ", then "firefox" or "firefox&". Sure enough, I get
    Firefox on my local display. But, it gives every indication that it is
    a local Firefox, not Firefox on the remote box; the URL "file:///"
    shows the local filesystem. Other X apps run through the ssh ARE on
    the remote box.

    What the heck is going on here? And how to I fix it?

    --
    Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
    Linux system uptime 469 days 4 hours 18 minutes

  2. Re: remote X weirdness

    On Sunday 09 Oct 2005 22:18, Willie McKemie wrote:
    > I "ssh -XC ", then "firefox" or "firefox&". Sure enough, I get
    > Firefox on my local display. But, it gives every indication that it is
    > a local Firefox, not Firefox on the remote box; the URL "file:///"
    > shows the local filesystem. Other X apps run through the ssh ARE on
    > the remote box.
    >
    > What the heck is going on here? And how to I fix it?

    Unlike most other programs you'll use, "firefox" is a shell script wrapper,
    not the actual binary that is run. I'm guessing that what's going in is that
    the shell script wrapper is doing something "clever". My best guess at this
    point is that an existing copy of firefox is running on your local host and
    the shell script detects this and asks it to pop up a new window, instead of
    starting a new instance.

    This may be the relevant piece of the script?

    # No need to check if DISPLAY is not set, it will fail. But let's continue,
    # so that firefox gives the display error message itself.
    if [ "${DISPLAY}" ] || [ "${CMDLINE_DISPLAY}" ]; then
    if [ -z "${CMDLINE_DISPLAY}" ]; then
    CMDLINE_DISPLAY="${DISPLAY}"
    fi

    # check to see if there's an already running instance or not
    verbose "Running: ${MOZ_PROGRAM} -remote 'ping()'"
    DISPLAY="${CMDLINE_DISPLAY}" ${MOZ_PROGRAM} -remote 'ping()' \
    > /dev/null 2>&1

    PING_STATUS=$?
    fi

    echo_vars PING_STATUS

    # Clean user profile if we are not trying to use the running instance and only
    # if the check was successful (status 2)
    if [ "${REMOTE}" -eq 0 ] && [ "${TRY_USE_EXIST}" -eq 0 ] && [ "${PING_STATUS}"
    -eq 2 ]; then
    verbose "Cleaning user profile"
    clean_profile
    fi

    # If there is no command line argument at all then try to open a new
    # window in an already running instance.
    if [ "${PING_STATUS}" -eq 0 ] && [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
    exec_verbose ${MOZ_PROGRAM} -remote "xfeDoCommand(openBrowser)"
    fi

    If you have a reasonable understanding of shell scripts you might check this
    out with "sh -x".

    There doesn't seem to be an option to turn this behaviour off directly, but it
    seems that it won't do this if you start it with an argument. Maybe use
    -width or -height?

    HTH

    Neil Youngman

  3. Re: remote X weirdness

    On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 07:09:46AM +0100, Neil Youngman wrote:
    > On Sunday 09 Oct 2005 22:18, Willie McKemie wrote:
    > > I "ssh -XC ", then "firefox" or "firefox&". Sure enough, I get
    > > Firefox on my local display. But, it gives every indication that it is
    > > a local Firefox, not Firefox on the remote box; the URL "file:///"
    > > shows the local filesystem. Other X apps run through the ssh ARE on
    > > the remote box.
    > >
    > > What the heck is going on here? And how to I fix it?

    > Unlike most other programs you'll use, "firefox" is a shell script wrapper,
    > not the actual binary that is run. I'm guessing that what's going in is that
    > the shell script wrapper is doing something "clever". My best guess at this
    > point is that an existing copy of firefox is running on your local host and
    > the shell script detects this and asks it to pop up a new window, instead of
    > starting a new instance.

    As unlikely as it seems to me, you MUST be right!. Giving firefox a
    "-width" parameter caused the remote's firefox to appear on my local
    display! Amusingly, the width parameter did not influence the width of
    the firefox window. Earlier, I tested remote display of an old mozilla
    browser; it behaved the same as firefox.

    Next time I have a local Firefox down, I will test and see if the
    symptoms occur if and only if a local firefox is running.

    Thanks for the insight! I have seen this problem for years and not
    really believed my eyes. I guess there are few of us who attempt to
    run firefox remotely.

    --
    Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
    Linux system uptime 469 days 18 hours 09 minutes