DSL connection - Debian

This is a discussion on DSL connection - Debian ; Hi everybody, I am a Linux newby. Trying to get into the internet using my laptop (thinkpad R 40) at home. I have debian and knoppix on it. The guy that installed the software on it set up an ethernet ...

  1. DSL connection

    Hi everybody,

    I am a Linux newby.

    Trying to get into the internet using my laptop (thinkpad R 40) at home.

    I have debian and knoppix on it.

    The guy that installed the software on it set up an ethernet connection.

    When I was at a linux install-fest on 10/01/05 all I had to do was connect
    my laptop to the modem, typ "pump" into the root-commandline, go to
    x-window, open the browser (konquerer) and surf.

    So that was easy.

    At home I now have a DSL-connection. When I typ "pump" into the
    root-commandline it answers: e100 : eth0 NIC Link is up 100 Mps Full Duplex

    When I open the browser in x-windows and search for the "google" pages
    it will tell me : not found

    On the modem (Westell Modell 6100) the Power, Ethernet and DSL lights are
    on.

    Anybody have an idea what this means, What I have to look for or do?

    thanks for the help

    Tina

  2. Re: DSL connection

    Hello Martina,

    On Sunday 09 October 2005 21:44, martina ackermann wrote:
    > At home I now have a DSL-connection. When I typ "pump" into the
    > root-commandline it answers: e100 : eth0 NIC Link is up 100 Mps Full Duplex
    >
    > When I open the browser in x-windows and search for the "google" pages
    > it will tell me : not found
    >
    > On the modem (Westell Modell 6100) the Power, Ethernet and DSL lights are
    > on.
    >
    > Anybody have an idea what this means, What I have to look for or do?

    How do you connect to the internet now (I guess you're using Windows)? I can
    imagine that your DSL modem is not configured as a router (maybe it can't be
    used as a router at all), thus "pump" (automatic IP configuration) doesn't
    work.

    It could be that you have to create a PPTP (or alike) connection in Windows to
    get online. Or you've configured your network card with a static IP address.
    Have a look how you do it in windows and tell us - then we can can give you
    further information on how to set up networking on your debian box.

    Kind regards,

    Christian