vga=791 nno longer works - Debian

This is a discussion on vga=791 nno longer works - Debian ; Hi, This is a bit odd. I've just upgraded my laptop to etch and xorg. Today, I compiled a new 2.6.13.3 kernel. To my grub entry I added the option, vga=791, to the kernel line, but now this has the ...

  1. vga=791 nno longer works

    Hi,

    This is a bit odd. I've just upgraded my laptop to etch and xorg. Today,
    I compiled a new 2.6.13.3 kernel. To my grub entry I added the option,
    vga=791, to the kernel line, but now this has the effect of blanking the
    screen until the boot process has completed.

    My old 2.6.12 kernel still works quite happily with vga=791.

    Any idea how to retrieve the "old" behaviour?

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  2. Re: vga=791 nno longer works

  3. Re: vga=791 nno longer works

    On 10/10/05, marc wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a bit odd. I've just upgraded my laptop to etch and xorg. Today,
    > I compiled a new 2.6.13.3 kernel. To my grub entry I
    > added the option,
    > vga=791, to the kernel line, but now this has the effect of blanking the
    > screen until the boot process has completed.
    >
    > My old 2.6.12 kernel still works quite happily with vga=791.
    >
    > Any idea how to retrieve the "old" behaviour?

    first do oldconfig before compiling or check during configuring.

    I use 2.6.13 with vga. There may be something wrong in kernel config.
    see for these in kernel config
    Graphics Support --->[*] Support for frame-buffer devices[*] VESA/VGA graphics support
    Console Display Driver Support --->[*] VGA text console[*] Video mode selection support[*] Frame-buffer Console Support[*] Select compiled in fonts[*] VGA 8x8[*] VGA 8x16

    --
    L.V.Gandhi
    http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/

  4. Re: vga=791 nno longer works

    L.V.Gandhi said...
    > On 10/10/05, marc wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This is a bit odd. I've just upgraded my laptop to etch and xorg. Today,
    > > I compiled a new 2.6.13.3 kernel. To my grub entry I
    > > added the option,
    > > vga=791, to the kernel line, but now this has the effect of blanking the
    > > screen until the boot process has completed.
    > >
    > > My old 2.6.12 kernel still works quite happily with vga=791.
    > >
    > > Any idea how to retrieve the "old" behaviour?

    > first do oldconfig before compiling or check during configuring.

    oldconfig didn't highlight this, because the item in question has always
    been set to m in the past - and worked quite happily. I suspect that the
    change is somewhere in the package changes between sarge and etch,
    rather than the kernel itself.

    > I use 2.6.13 with vga. There may be something wrong in kernel config.
    > see for these in kernel config
    > Graphics Support --->
    >[*] Support for frame-buffer devices
    >[*] VESA/VGA graphics support
    > Console Display Driver Support --->
    >[*] VGA text console
    >[*] Video mode selection support

    Only the following line required changing to reinstate the previous
    behaviour. Namely,

    Device drivers/Graphics support/Console display driver
    support/Framebuffer console support

    >[*] Frame-buffer Console Support

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  5. Re: vga=791 nno longer works

    Ritesh Raj Sarraf said...
    > marc on Monday 10 Oct 2005 00:30 wrote:
    >
    > > This is a bit odd. I've just upgraded my laptop to etch and xorg. Today,
    > > I compiled a new 2.6.13.3 kernel. To my grub entry I added the option,
    > > vga=791, to the kernel line, but now this has the effect of blanking the
    > > screen until the boot process has completed.
    > >
    > > My old 2.6.12 kernel still works quite happily with vga=791.
    > >
    > > Any idea how to retrieve the "old" behaviour?
    > >

    > That'd happen when the Frame Buffer Console (fbcon) is enabled as a module.

    Thanks. It only required that one change. It was enabled as a module in
    my previous compiles, though, so I guess something changed.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  6. Re: vga=791 nno longer works