How to use password-protected wireless networks? - Debian

This is a discussion on How to use password-protected wireless networks? - Debian ; Hi all, Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami, resolvconf, kwifimanager etc. One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires ...

  1. How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    Hi all,

    Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
    available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
    resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.

    One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
    password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?

    Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
    And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
    colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
    automatically when the network needs one.

    How does the Debian user do it?

    Thanks,

    John

    P.S. Please CC me.

  2. Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    John O'Hagan wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
    >available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
    >resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
    >
    >One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
    >password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?
    >
    >Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
    >And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
    >colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
    >automatically when the network needs one.
    >
    >How does the Debian user do it?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >John
    >
    >P.S. Please CC me.

    John,

    take a look at iwconfig. to enter the key:

    iwconfig eth0 key 1234567890ABCDEF

    There may be an applet that does the same thing, but this is the command
    line that I use.

    -Mark

  3. Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    Hallo John,

    * John O'Hagan [2005-10-08 18:33]:
    > Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
    > available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
    > resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
    >
    > One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requiresa
    > password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?

    If we talk about wep iwconfig eth0 (or whatever) key foobar
    regards nico
    --
    Nico Golde - JAB: nion@jabber.ccc.de | GPG: 0x73647CFF
    http://www.ngolde.de | http://www.muttng.org | http://grml.org

  4. Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    John,

    I use iwconfig and iwlist (in the wireless-tools package).

    `iwlist scan` will give you a list of available networks.
    `iwconfig essid ''` will connect you to a network (most of the
    time)
    `iwconfig key AA:AA:AA:AA:AA` will set your key.
    `ifconfig up` brings up the interface.
    `dhclient ` obviously forces it to dhcp.

    That's the long and short of what I do.

    regards, dave.

    On 10/8/05, John O'Hagan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
    > available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
    > resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
    >
    > One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires
    > password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the
    > password?
    >
    > Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem
    > there.
    > And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
    > colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
    > automatically when the network needs one.
    >
    > How does the Debian user do it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John
    >
    > P.S. Please CC me.
    >

    > --

  5. Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 01:57 +1000, John O'Hagan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
    > available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
    > resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
    >
    > One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requiresa
    > password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?
    >
    > Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
    > And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
    > colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
    > automatically when the network needs one.
    >
    > How does the Debian user do it?

    In my whereami.conf, for that particular network, I have a:

    wget -O - -q 'https://wireless.logon.page/login.xyz?username=blah&password=bleah' >/dev/null

    Obviously this is supremely dodgy, but for me there is only one WLAN
    that I use that I have to log into - all of the others are protected by
    WEP, WPA, or nothing, so it works OK.

    If the WLAN in your case uses basic auth (as it sounds like it might)
    then the wget command would be something more like:

    wget -O - -q --http-user=user --http-password=password 'https://wireless.logon.page/login.xyz' >/dev/null

    Regards,
    Andrew.

    Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
    WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
    DDI: +64(4)803-2201 MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
    Absence makes the heart go wander.

  6. Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    > John O'Hagan wrote:
    [...]
    > >One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires
    > > a password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the
    > > password?

    [...]

    Thanks to everyone who replied, you have pointed me in the right direction:
    here is the relevant bit from man iwconfig:

    "iwconfig eth0 key sassword [2]"

    The "s:" is what you need to enter a string as a key; without that it only
    accepts hex digits. The [2] at the end is an example of an index value which
    can be entered at any time to activate that key, a very handy feature when
    switching networks frequently.

    I'll let you know if this actually works when I have had a chance to try it.

    Thanks,

    John

    P.S. Please CC me.

  7. Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

    John O'Hagan writes:
    >> John O'Hagan wrote:

    > [...]
    >> >One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires
    >> > a password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the
    >> > password?

    > [...]
    >
    > Thanks to everyone who replied, you have pointed me in the right direction:
    > here is the relevant bit from man iwconfig:

    [...]

    > I'll let you know if this actually works when I have had a chance to
    > try it.

    G'day. A useful hint: I don't know any useful GUI tools to manage it,
    but dealing with wireless network roaming, WEP and WPA keys is most
    easily managed by the 'wpa_supplicant' package.

    Despite the name, this tool handles authenticating with any sort of
    wireless network protocol, including WEP.

    You can enter the details for your networks in the configuration file,
    and then wpa_supplicant just runs quietly in the background and deals
    with authentication without you needing to do anything more.

    Regards,
    Daniel