Hi Alexander,

I recently had your very same problem.

For 'modprobe snd-cs4236' to work, I had to create a file called sound
in /etc/modprobe.d/

:~$ vim /etc/modprobe.d/sound

alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cs4236
options snd-cs4236 port=0x530 cport=0x210 isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5

After this, modprobe or should find the card. If you use alsaconf, it will
overwrite your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file with the wrong info and fail to
load the driver. It does, I think, write correct changes
to /etc/modules.conf. So you might want to let it do that and then redo
the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file and modprobe the driver yourself:

:~$ modprobe snd-cs4236

Run alsamixer and adjust the volumes.

Oh, I also had to enable the card manually with setpnp. For this card:

:~$ setpnp 0f on

Read the setpnp man page about having it set on at boot time.

Hope it works,

Kelly