laptop sendmail - Debian

This is a discussion on laptop sendmail - Debian ; Dear list This isn't exclusively laptop related but has arisen precisely because my laptop is portable. It is also probably fairly trivial so please point me to a web page that explains this stuff -- I have Googled fairly extensively ...

  1. laptop sendmail

    Dear list

    This isn't exclusively laptop related but has arisen precisely because my
    laptop is portable. It is also probably fairly trivial so please point me to
    a web page that explains this stuff -- I have Googled fairly extensively
    though.

    My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their domain,
    so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email address so
    I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting mail server
    bounces back my email because it says it is from localhost.localdomain which
    is a very good indication that I am sending spam.

    Does anybody have any experience of how to fix things so this will work?

    best wishes

    --Colin

    --
    http://www.gloworms.org.uk

  2. Re: laptop sendmail

    Colin Cotter wrote:
    > Dear list
    >
    > This isn't exclusively laptop related but has arisen precisely
    > because my laptop is portable. It is also probably fairly trivial so
    > please point me to a web page that explains this stuff -- I have Googled
    > fairly extensively though.
    >
    > My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their
    > domain, so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email
    > address so I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting
    > mail server bounces back my email because it says it is from
    > localhost.localdomain which is a very good indication that I am sending
    > spam.
    >
    > Does anybody have any experience of how to fix things so this will work?

    Colin,
    only loosely related to you question: your workplace does not offer some
    kind of VPN (IPSEC or wathever) to mobile users ?

    Bob

  3. Re: laptop sendmail

    Thanks for your reply Bob. They do provide VPN, but I haven't been able to
    find out how to do this under Linux. Do you have experience of this working?

    best wishes

    --Colin

    On 10/4/05, Bob Alexander wrote:

    > Colin Cotter wrote:
    > > Dear list
    > >
    > > This isn't exclusively laptop related but has arisen precisely
    > > because my laptop is portable. It is also probably fairly trivial so
    > > please point me to a web page that explains this stuff -- I have Googled
    > > fairly extensively though.
    > >
    > > My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their
    > > domain, so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email
    > > address so I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting
    > > mail server bounces back my email because it says it is from
    > > localhost.localdomain which is a very good indication that I am sending
    > > spam.
    > >
    > > Does anybody have any experience of how to fix things so this will work?
    > >

    > Colin,
    > only loosely related to you question: your workplace does not offer some
    > kind of VPN (IPSEC or wathever) to mobile users ?
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > --

    http://www.gloworms.org.uk

  4. Re: laptop sendmail

    Colin Cotter napisał(a):
    > My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their
    > domain, so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email
    > address so I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting
    > mail server bounces back my email because it says it is from
    > localhost.localdomain which is a very good indication that I am sending
    > spam.
    >
    > Does anybody have any experience of how to fix things so this will work?

    As someone already suggested -- use VPN to connect to SMTP server back
    at work.
    You can try to setup SMTP server yourself but it's gonna be complicated
    and quite pointless especially if U don't have static IP.

  5. Re: laptop sendmail

    Colin Cotter wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply Bob. They do provide VPN, but I haven't been able
    > to find out how to do this under Linux. Do you have experience of this
    > working?

    Ask you IT support staff what kind of VPN they support and once you set
    that up you will be working from remote just as you where sitting in
    your office, including using your company's SMTP relays.

    I work in this way through something called AT&T client under Linux (not
    very standard IIRC).

    Bob

  6. Re: laptop sendmail

    Bob Alexander napisał(a):
    > Ask you IT support staff what kind of VPN they support and once you set
    > that up you will be working from remote just as you where sitting in
    > your office, including using your company's SMTP relays.

    Unfortunately, chance is, they are using PPTP on MS servers which would
    require IIRC patching kernel with MPPE.
    But it doesn't hurt to ask :-)

  7. Re: laptop sendmail

    Colin Cotter wrote:

    > This isn't exclusively laptop related but has arisen precisely because my
    > laptop is portable. It is also probably fairly trivial so please point me
    > to a web page that explains this stuff -- I have Googled fairly
    > extensively though.
    >
    > My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their
    > domain, so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email
    > address so I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting
    > mail server bounces back my email because it says it is from
    > localhost.localdomain which is a very good indication that I am sending
    > spam.

    So don't use localhost.localdomain. I don't know sendmail config (except
    that a friend's .sig used to say "there are valid technical reasons why
    sendmail configuration requires sacrifice of a live chicken"), but I'm sure
    like any smtp transport it allows you to specify the name of the server you
    are using. Since you don't, it's pulling the only thing it can find that
    looks like a qualified domain out of /etc/hosts. You might also just add
    the domain name you want in /etc/hosts.

    dpkg-reconfigure sendmail

    will probably bring up a question to which it has prefilled
    "localhost.localdomain". Change that to something that works. If it's not
    that easy, get a better sendmail replacement. Masqmail isn't fully
    featured but will handle what you want, and is _really_ simple to set up.
    --
    derek

  8. Re: laptop sendmail

    > I have the same situation and solved it with my gmail account. Gmail
    > offers also smtp relays. I use mozilla thunderbird and I configured that
    > all "outside" mails are sent to gmail smtp. If you do not have gmail
    > account send me a private mail and I will give you one.
    >
    > Not so elegant as VPN but it works like a charm.

    What a glorious solution! I found an easy howto here.

    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?threadid=4857

    Thanks for that!

    --Cjc

  9. Re: laptop sendmail

    Mariusz Kruk wrote:

    > Colin Cotter napisał(a):
    >
    >> My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their
    >> domain, so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work
    >> email address so I can send messages from home. However, any
    >> self-respecting mail server bounces back my email because it says it
    >> is from localhost.localdomain which is a very good indication that I
    >> am sending spam.
    >>
    >> Does anybody have any experience of how to fix things so this will work?

    > As someone already suggested -- use VPN to connect to SMTP server back
    > at work.
    > You can try to setup SMTP server yourself but it's gonna be
    > complicated and quite pointless especially if U don't have static IP.

    Huh? Pointless? Shucks, I used to run my entire domain on a dynamic IP
    address
    back when I couldn't get DSL! (cue 'old man' voice ;-)

    Anyway, someone else mentioned the possibility of replacing sendmail
    with something
    else. I've used ... um, exim4? And the installation gave you 3 or 4
    (or so) options,
    including 'no mail', 'full mail', and a few others. One of those might
    work.

    Also, as someone else said - the problem is that sendmail isn't
    configured. If
    dpkg-reconfigure doesn't do it (I'd faint if it didn't :-) then you
    could always
    go do it the 'old fashioned' (and non-debian (sorry)) way and edit
    /etc/sendmail/sendmail.cf
    (or something like that) - beware that 'sendmail.cf is not designed for
    carbon-based
    life forms' (or some quote like that) - you only want to find where it
    sets machine
    name (localhost) and domain name (localdomain) and change them. That MIGHT
    be as simple as changing what your laptop thinks it is! Which would be
    another
    one of those questions during install that's too easy to skip. Look in
    /etc/hosts
    to see if anything is configured there besides localhost....

    rc

  10. Re: laptop sendmail

    On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Colin Cotter wrote:

    > My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their domain,
    > so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email address so
    > I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting mail server
    > bounces back my email because it says it is from localhost.localdomain which
    > is a very good indication that I am sending spam.

    A fairly common problem these days - especially for laptops.

    If you always wish to send mail from one account (ie, work) - a VPN is
    the safest solution; that way you avoid SPF and other spam detection
    issues.

    Another approach, that I use on my laptops, is to use the Debian
    sendmail hooks for ifup/ifdown (via dhcp/ppp) to customize the sendmail
    configuration based upon what network you attach to.

    I have the following connection profiles setup:
    /etc/mail/peers/ibm.com -- when at work (send via work smarthost)
    /etc/mail/peers/cavein.org -- when at home (send via home smarthost)
    /etc/mail/peers/dslextreme.com -- fallback to ISP smarthost
    /etc/mail/peers/default -- traveling, use my home smarthost via 587

    The profiles do thinks like:
    * set smarthost
    * set domain to masquerade as
    * set hostname to use

    When eth0 comes up, it updates my caching DNS, sendmail, restarts
    fetchmail, etc.

    the support is enabled via these two .m4 files:
    include(`/etc/mail/m4/dialup.m4')dnl
    include(`/etc/mail/m4/provider.m4')dnl

    Let me know if you need further information or have problems using
    this support.
    --
    Rick Nelson
    "Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX."

  11. Re: laptop sendmail

    > A fairly common problem these days - especially for laptops.
    >
    > If you always wish to send mail from one account (ie, work) - a VPN is
    > the safest solution; that way you avoid SPF and other spam detection
    > issues.
    >
    > Another approach, that I use on my laptops, is to use the Debian
    > sendmail hooks for ifup/ifdown (via dhcp/ppp) to customize the sendmail
    > configuration based upon what network you attach to.

    There is another quite elegant approach for laptops. It is known by
    "mail using UUCP other SSH" and I have been using it for some days
    now. It works great whether you are home or anywhere else. It requires
    you to have root access on a machine capable of handling your mail
    though.

    Some links :
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005.../uucpmail.html
    (french) http://linuxfr.org/2001/04/08/3065.html

    A free service to host your mail domain with this method :
    http://uucpssh.org/

    And a basic howto for Debian (by me)
    http://sousmonlit.dyndns.org/~niol/p...:uucp_ssh_mail

    Don't know if I'm on topic with this, but anyway it may solves some
    laptop's users problems and it is simpler than a VPN.

    Alexandre

  12. Re: laptop sendmail

    > Some links :

    Forgot this great ressource on UUCP over SSH :
    http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Ma...ticle330.shtml

+ Reply to Thread