CDROM problem! - Debian

This is a discussion on CDROM problem! - Debian ; Hi! I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654. The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller and de HD is connected on the PATA controller. The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even ...

  1. CDROM problem!

    Hi!
    I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654.
    The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller and de
    HD is connected on the PATA controller.
    The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even if I load first of
    all ata_piix. It only finds my hard drive.
    It has a ICH6 chipset.

    Does anyone could help me?

    Thanks
    Arlindo

    Sorry about my poor english

  2. Re: CDROM problem!

    Arlindo Sierra Neto said...
    > Hi!
    > I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654.
    > The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller and de
    > HD is connected on the PATA controller.
    > The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even if I load first of
    > all ata_piix. It only finds my hard drive.
    > It has a ICH6 chipset.
    >
    > Does anyone could help me?

    No, but I confirm that the same happened to me on an Acer TM 4651 when
    installing stable with
    # linux26 acpi=off

    However, the 2.4 kernel did install, FWIW.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  3. Re: CDROM problem!

    I got around this by installing with the SATA in "compatible" mode -
    this made it appear as a PATA device. Once installed and a new kernel
    setup I changed it back without any problems (remembering to change root
    from hda to sda).

    On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 17:20 -0300, Arlindo Sierra Neto wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654.
    > The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller and de
    > HD is connected on the PATA controller.
    > The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even if I load first of
    > all ata_piix. It only finds my hard drive.
    > It has a ICH6 chipset.
    >
    > Does anyone could help me?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Arlindo
    >
    > Sorry about my poor english

  4. Re: CDROM problem!

    Andrew Porter said...

    > On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 17:20 -0300, Arlindo Sierra Neto wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654.
    > > The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller and de
    > > HD is connected on the PATA controller.
    > > The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even if I load first of
    > > all ata_piix. It only finds my hard drive.
    > > It has a ICH6 chipset.
    > >
    > > Does anyone could help me?

    Hi Andrew,

    Could you please explain your solution more fully please. I've added
    notes to indicate more precisely what I don't understand.

    > I got around this by installing with the SATA in "compatible" mode -

    How do you do this?

    > this made it appear as a PATA device.

    > Once installed and a new kernel setup

    Does this mean that you installed using 2.6.8 then added, say, 2.6.12?

    > I changed it back

    What did you change back?

    > without any problems (remembering to change root from hda to sda).

    In the grub menu?

    Cheers,
    Marc

  5. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:51 +0100, marc wrote:

    > Andrew Porter said...
    >
    > > On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 17:20 -0300, Arlindo Sierra Neto wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi!
    > > > I'm Trying to install Debian Testing on my Acer Travelmate 4654.
    > > > The problem is that the CDROM is connected on the SATA controller andde
    > > > HD is connected on the PATA controller.
    > > > The Debian-Installer don't recognize my cdrom. Even if I load first of
    > > > all ata_piix. It only finds my hard drive.
    > > > It has a ICH6 chipset.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone could help me?

    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > Could you please explain your solution more fully please. I've added
    > notes to indicate more precisely what I don't understand.
    >
    > > I got around this by installing with the SATA in "compatible" mode -

    > How do you do this?

    On my PC (a Dell Dimension 8400) its an option in the Bios.

    > > this made it appear as a PATA device.

    > > Once installed and a new kernel setup

    > Does this mean that you installed using 2.6.8 then added, say, 2.6.12?

    I think I actually installed a 2.4 kernel in the end.

    > > I changed it back

    > What did you change back?

    The Bios setting - changed it back to SATA mode

    > > without any problems (remembering to change root from hda to sda).

    > In the grub menu?

    Indeed - as the installation was done on /dev/hda but when using the HD
    as SATA it is /dev/sda

    My diagnosis of the problem - and I may be way off on this but went no
    further than getting it working - was that when loading the SATA drivers
    for some reason the IDE cdrom driver no longer worked/could find the cd.
    This doesn't seem to be a problem with 2.6.12 (stock debian kernel).

  6. Re: CDROM problem!

    Hi!
    I followed this steps

    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-270763.html

    My cdrom worked fine.
    The problem is that I have to install debian with kernel 2.4 and then compile an 2.6 kernel with the modification in libata.h

    It workerd for me.

    Thanks to Koen

    Arlindo

    Andrew Porter wrote:

    >On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:51 +0100, marc wrote:
    >

    >>Andrew Porter said...

    >>Hi Andrew,
    >>
    >>Could you please explain your solution more fully please. I've added
    >>notes to indicate more precisely what I don't understand.
    >>

    >>>I got around this by installing with the SATA in "compatible" mode -
    >>>

    >>How do you do this?
    >>

    >On my PC (a Dell Dimension 8400) its an option in the Bios.
    >

    >>>this made it appear as a PATA device.
    >>>

    >>>Once installed and a new kernel setup
    >>>

    >>Does this mean that you installed using 2.6.8 then added, say, 2.6.12?
    >>

    >I think I actually installed a 2.4 kernel in the end.
    >

    >>>I changed it back
    >>>

    >>What did you change back?
    >>

    >The Bios setting - changed it back to SATA mode
    >

    >>>without any problems (remembering to change root from hda to sda).
    >>>

    >>In the grub menu?
    >>

    >Indeed - as the installation was done on /dev/hda but when using the HD
    >as SATA it is /dev/sda
    >
    >My diagnosis of the problem - and I may be way off on this but went no
    >further than getting it working - was that when loading the SATA drivers
    >for some reason the IDE cdrom driver no longer worked/could find the cd.
    >This doesn't seem to be a problem with 2.6.12 (stock debian kernel).

  7. Re: CDROM problem!

    Arlindo Sierra Neto said...

    > I followed this steps
    >
    > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-270763.html
    >
    > My cdrom worked fine.
    > The problem is that I have to install debian with kernel 2.4 and then compile an 2.6 kernel with the modification in libata.h
    >
    > It workerd for me.

    Excellent. Could you tell me which kernel you compiled, please. I'm just
    downloading 2.6.12-1 to compile, since that is the latest in
    testing/etch and hence has a condig file available.

    Would it be possible to 'borrow' your config file, please? (Plse email
    if it's okay.)

    This is my first kernel compile, so I just wanted to check that I'm
    starting with the right source. Thanks.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

    > Thanks to Koen
    >
    > Arlindo
    >

    > Andrew Porter wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:51 +0100, marc wrote:
    > >

    > >>Andrew Porter said...

    > >>Hi Andrew,
    > >>
    > >>Could you please explain your solution more fully please. I've added
    > >>notes to indicate more precisely what I don't understand.

    > >>How do you do this?
    > >>

    > >On my PC (a Dell Dimension 8400) its an option in the Bios.

    > >>Does this mean that you installed using 2.6.8 then added, say, 2.6.12?
    > >>

    > >I think I actually installed a 2.4 kernel in the end.

    > >>What did you change back?
    > >>

    > >The Bios setting - changed it back to SATA mode

    > >>In the grub menu?
    > >>

    > >Indeed - as the installation was done on /dev/hda but when using the HD
    > >as SATA it is /dev/sda
    > >
    > >My diagnosis of the problem - and I may be way off on this but went no
    > >further than getting it working - was that when loading the SATA drivers
    > >for some reason the IDE cdrom driver no longer worked/could find the cd.
    > >This doesn't seem to be a problem with 2.6.12 (stock debian kernel).

  8. Re: CDROM problem!

    Marc,
    When you install a Debian kernel package, there is a config file in
    /boot/config-2.6.xx

    If you don't find one I'll send you mine. I'm running on kernel 2.6.13.1

    Arlindo

    marc wrote:

    >Arlindo Sierra Neto said...
    >

    >>I followed this steps
    >>
    >>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-270763.html
    >>
    >>My cdrom worked fine.
    >>The problem is that I have to install debian with kernel 2.4 and then compile an 2.6 kernel with the modification in libata.h
    >>
    >>It workerd for me.
    >>

    >Excellent. Could you tell me which kernel you compiled, please. I'm just
    >downloading 2.6.12-1 to compile, since that is the latest in
    >testing/etch and hence has a condig file available.
    >
    >Would it be possible to 'borrow' your config file, please? (Plse email
    >if it's okay.)
    >
    >This is my first kernel compile, so I just wanted to check that I'm
    >starting with the right source. Thanks.

  9. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:53:02PM +0100, marc wrote:
    > Thanks very much. As a matter of interest, is there any/much change
    > between the .12 and .13 config files? And how do you tell?

    To get a rough idea of how many changes:
    $ diff -u TODO TODO.hep | grep '^\(-\|+\)[^-+]' | wc -l
    To see the changes:
    $ diff -Naur /boot/config-2.6.X newer-config | less

    --

    o--------------------------{ Will Maier }--------------------------o
    | jabber:..wcmaier@jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier@ml1.net |

  10. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:32:30PM -0500, Will Maier wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:53:02PM +0100, marc wrote:
    > > Thanks very much. As a matter of interest, is there any/much change
    > > between the .12 and .13 config files? And how do you tell?

    > To get a rough idea of how many changes:
    > $ diff -u TODO TODO.hep | grep '^\(-\|+\)[^-+]' | wc -l

    Ahem. s:TODO:/boot/config1: and s:TODO.hep:/path/to/config2:.

    --

    o--------------------------{ Will Maier }--------------------------o
    | jabber:..wcmaier@jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier@ml1.net |
    | \.........wcmaier@cae.wisc.edu | \..........wcmaier@cae.wisc.edu |
    *---[ Debian: The Universal Operating System (www.debian.org) ]----*

  11. Re: CDROM problem!

    Arlindo Sierra Neto said...
    > marc wrote:
    > >Arlindo Sierra Neto said...
    > >
    > >>I followed this steps
    > >>
    > >>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-270763.html
    > >>
    > >>My cdrom worked fine.
    > >>The problem is that I have to install debian with kernel 2.4 and then compile an 2.6 kernel with the modification in libata.h
    > >>
    > >>It workerd for me.

    > >Excellent. Could you tell me which kernel you compiled, please. I'm just
    > >downloading 2.6.12-1 to compile, since that is the latest in
    > >testing/etch and hence has a condig file available.
    > >
    > >Would it be possible to 'borrow' your config file, please? (Plse email
    > >if it's okay.)
    > >
    > >This is my first kernel compile, so I just wanted to check that I'm
    > >starting with the right source. Thanks.

    > Marc,
    > When you install a Debian kernel package, there is a config file in
    > /boot/config-2.6.xx
    >
    > If you don't find one I'll send you mine. I'm running on kernel 2.6.13.1

    Okay, my latest update.

    I'm compiling 2.6.12.1 downloaded from www.kernel.org. I have not
    applied the suggested patch to ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI yet, because I want to
    first ensure that the kernel I compile falls over in the same way as the
    deb version, before continuing.

    For my first try, I took /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 into menuconfig,
    changed nothing, but saved the result as the default (/usr/src/linux-
    2.6.12.1/.config).

    # first question: Is menuconfig the appropriate/best tool for this job?

    This kernel compiled okay. I deb'd it, and installed. This locked up on
    boot as expected. Excellent!

    I applied acpi=off to the grub line, rebooted. This tried to boot, but
    the error I received was different to the deb 2.6.12.1 error. I didn't
    write it down, but it was failing to mount root - which is kinda
    terminal.

    Suspecting the configs, I noticed that the original (from /boot/) and
    the "supposedly" unchanged version produced by menuconfig were different
    sizes. A compare confirmed this. Only about seven or eight differences,
    but one is enough.

    Should this happen? It's easy to repeat.

    Onward.

    Next, I simply copied /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 to /usr/src/linux-
    2.6.12.1/.config. I then ran
    # make-kpkg clean
    # fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version marc kernel_image

    This stops with:
    PNP EIDE support (BLK_DEV_IDEPNP) [N/y/?] (NEW)

    awaiting input.

    Two questions:
    - Shouldn't this compile?
    - What do you suggest I answer in response to the idling script?

    I'm compiling this under 2.4.27-2 on stable.

    Is stable an issue when compiling this kernel, which is in testing?

    I carried on running the script for a bit, entering essentially random
    puzzled. Whatever menuconfig did to the original config file avoided
    these halts to the compile. That's a good thing. But then, why doesn't
    the "clean" config file compile without the interruptions?

    I could ask a few more things, but hopefully that's enough for someone
    to slap me for a stupid mistake and get me rolling... or at least
    staggering forward.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  12. Re: CDROM problem!

    Marc,
    I think the simplest way (I Guess) is
    Go to the kernel source
    #make menuconfig
    Load the the default .config file int /boot/
    Save it
    #make
    #make modules
    #make modules_install

    copy the bzImage to /boot/ and then edit grub menu.lst.

    It worked for me.

    marc wrote:

> [...]

    ># make-kpkg clean
    ># fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version marc kernel_image
    >
    >This stops with:
    >PNP EIDE support (BLK_DEV_IDEPNP) [N/y/?] (NEW)
    >
    >awaiting input.
    >
    >Two questions:
    >- Shouldn't this compile?
    >- What do you suggest I answer in response to the idling script?
    >
    >I'm compiling this under 2.4.27-2 on stable.
    >
    >Is stable an issue when compiling this kernel, which is in testing?
    >
    >I carried on running the script for a bit, entering essentially random
    >puzzled. Whatever menuconfig did to the original config file avoided
    >these halts to the compile. That's a good thing. But then, why doesn't
    >the "clean" config file compile without the interruptions?
    >
    >I could ask a few more things, but hopefully that's enough for someone
    >to slap me for a stupid mistake and get me rolling... or at least

  13. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 19:49 +0100, marc wrote:
    > Next, I simply copied /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 to /usr/src/linux-
    > 2.6.12.1/.config. I then ran
    > # make-kpkg clean
    > # fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version marc kernel_image
    > This stops with:
    > PNP EIDE support (BLK_DEV_IDEPNP) [N/y/?] (NEW)
    > awaiting input.

    That's probably because you try to compile a vanilla kernel (from
    www.kernel.org) with the Debian options. As Debian applies various
    patches to the kernel, you get things like this. It's probably easier to
    get the Debian kernel source (package name is linux-source-2.6.12 if I'm
    not mistaken) and use that one. That should allow you to get a clean
    compile with the Debian config file.

    Koen

  14. Re: CDROM problem!

    Koen Vermeer said...
    > On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 19:49 +0100, marc wrote:
    > > Next, I simply copied /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 to /usr/src/linux-
    > > 2.6.12.1/.config. I then ran
    > > # make-kpkg clean
    > > # fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version marc kernel_image
    > > This stops with:
    > > PNP EIDE support (BLK_DEV_IDEPNP) [N/y/?] (NEW)
    > > awaiting input.

    > That's probably because you try to compile a vanilla kernel (from
    > www.kernel.org) with the Debian options. As Debian applies various
    > patches to the kernel, you get things like this. It's probably easier to
    > get the Debian kernel source (package name is linux-source-2.6.12 if I'm
    > not mistaken) and use that one. That should allow you to get a clean
    > compile with the Debian config file.

    Thanks for that, Koen. That makes a lot of sense.

    Might that mean that the differences I found between the Debian config
    (in /boot) and the output from menuconfig were "corrections" made by
    menuconfig to account for those differences found in the vanilla kernel
    setup?

    Interestingly, I'm now compiling 2.6.8 from the Debian package. When I
    ran the appropriate /boot/config through menuconfig, and saved it, it
    proved to be identical.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  15. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 23:54 +0100, marc wrote:
    > Might that mean that the differences I found between the Debian config
    > (in /boot) and the output from menuconfig were "corrections" made by
    > menuconfig to account for those differences found in the vanilla kernel
    > setup?

    Yes. For example, if a driver has been removed from the kernel source by
    Debian, then you won't find the corresponding entry in the config-file
    anymore.

    > Interestingly, I'm now compiling 2.6.8 from the Debian package. When I
    > ran the appropriate /boot/config through menuconfig, and saved it, it
    > proved to be identical.

    Good. But to solve your problems, I'd try the most recent Debian source
    (as I said, I think it's 2.6.12).

    Koen

  16. Re: CDROM problem!

    Koen Vermeer said...
    > On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 23:54 +0100, marc wrote:
    > > Might that mean that the differences I found between the Debian config
    > > (in /boot) and the output from menuconfig were "corrections" made by
    > > menuconfig to account for those differences found in the vanilla kernel
    > > setup?

    > Yes. For example, if a driver has been removed from the kernel source by
    > Debian, then you won't find the corresponding entry in the config-file
    > anymore.

    That makes sense, although it was worth checking in case the
    configuration tool assumed certain things. Glad to hear it doesn't.

    > > Interestingly, I'm now compiling 2.6.8 from the Debian package. When I
    > > ran the appropriate /boot/config through menuconfig, and saved it, it
    > > proved to be identical.

    > Good. But to solve your problems, I'd try the most recent Debian source
    > (as I said, I think it's 2.6.12).

    Okay, but I wanted to start on a known working kernel. I did this, and
    managed to get it working - with the missing CDROM, as expected.

    Onward. Since I am running stable, I added a testing 'deb src' to
    sources.list, did apt-get update, but no linux-source-2.6.12.... debs
    were present. So I went to :
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
    and found:
    http://packages.debian.org/testing/d...-source-2.6.12

    Since I couldn't apt-get install this, I've downloaded it.

    My question is how to I make this package known to apt?

    I installed it via dpkg -1 ... but I'd like apt to know about it, if
    possible,

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  17. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 20:26 +0100, marc wrote:
    > That makes sense, although it was worth checking in case the
    > configuration tool assumed certain things. Glad to hear it doesn't.

    You can use 'make oldconfig' for that as well. I usually do that when
    I'm upgrading to a new kernel. It will run through the list of all
    config options, and only ask you about the new stuff.

    > Okay, but I wanted to start on a known working kernel. I did this, and
    > managed to get it working - with the missing CDROM, as expected.

    Sure, that sounds like a safe approach.

    > Onward. Since I am running stable, I added a testing 'deb src' to
    > sources.list, did apt-get update, but no linux-source-2.6.12.... debs
    > were present. So I went to :
    > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
    > and found:
    > http://packages.debian.org/testing/d...-source-2.6.12
    > Since I couldn't apt-get install this, I've downloaded it.
    > My question is how to I make this package known to apt?
    > I installed it via dpkg -1 ... but I'd like apt to know about it, if
    > possible,

    You could take a look at pinning. But I always do it like you do as
    well. So, I have the testing stuff in my sources.list (no deb-src lines
    in my case), and I manually download unstable packages. In general, that
    keeps the number of unstable packages small, and when I forget about
    them, they tend to end up in testing anyway, so from that time on, they
    are updated automatically.
    Currently, I think I only use linux-source-2.6.12 from unstable, all
    other packages are from testing.

    Koen

  18. Re: CDROM problem!

    Will Maier said...
    > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:53:02PM +0100, marc wrote:
    > > Thanks very much. As a matter of interest, is there any/much change
    > > between the .12 and .13 config files? And how do you tell?

    > To get a rough idea of how many changes:
    > $ diff -u TODO TODO.hep | grep '^\(-\|+\)[^-+]' | wc -l
    > To see the changes:
    > $ diff -Naur /boot/config-2.6.X newer-config | less

    Thanks for these. Very instructive.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  19. Re: CDROM problem!

    Koen Vermeer said...
    > On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 20:26 +0100, marc wrote:
    > > That makes sense, although it was worth checking in case the
    > > configuration tool assumed certain things. Glad to hear it doesn't.

    > You can use 'make oldconfig' for that as well. I usually do that when
    > I'm upgrading to a new kernel. It will run through the list of all
    > config options, and only ask you about the new stuff.

    One further questions: does that mean that the kernel demands an answer
    for every option? So, if there are 100 kernel options, but only 95 in
    the config file, then it will *always* ask about the other 5? Thus, if
    you didn't have a config file, then you could compile the kernel and
    simply sit there and answer every question - hypothetically, of course.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  20. Re: CDROM problem!

    On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 20:46 +0100, marc wrote:
    > One further questions: does that mean that the kernel demands an answer
    > for every option? So, if there are 100 kernel options, but only 95 in
    > the config file, then it will *always* ask about the other 5? Thus, if
    > you didn't have a config file, then you could compile the kernel and
    > simply sit there and answer every question - hypothetically, of course.

    Well, compilation is after the make oldconfig, of course. I never tried
    it without a valid config file, so I don't know how the behaviour would
    be in that case. I'd rather use make menuconfig if I'd start from
    scratch. It's easier to go back and fix mistakes.
    But in general, yes, you're right. It will only ask you the 5 questions
    that weren't in the previous config. I always first do a make oldconfig,
    and then, if there is anything interesting, a make menuconfig to fiddle
    around some more.

    Koen