cpufreq question - Debian

This is a discussion on cpufreq question - Debian ; Hi, I'm running Debian 3.1 Sarge on a IBM Thinkpad R51 with kernel 2.6.11-1-686. My CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1700 MHz and i'm using cpufreqd to change the cpu frequency dynamicly. When i use my notebook with ac ...

  1. cpufreq question

    Hi,

    I'm running Debian 3.1 Sarge on a IBM Thinkpad R51 with kernel
    2.6.11-1-686. My CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1700 MHz and i'm using
    cpufreqd to change the cpu frequency dynamicly.

    When i use my notebook with ac cpufreq-info gives me a range from 213 to
    1700 MHz, without ac i only get a range from 75 to 600 MHz. I'm
    wondering why there is such a little range. I looked in my bios settings
    and on the first look i didn't find a setting which will cause this
    behaviour.

    Any ideas where to look further?

    TIA,
    Arne Lange

  2. Re: cpufreq question

    On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 07:00:52PM +0200, Arne Lange wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Debian 3.1 Sarge on a IBM Thinkpad R51 with kernel
    > 2.6.11-1-686. My CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1700 MHz and i'm using
    > cpufreqd to change the cpu frequency dynamicly.
    >
    > When i use my notebook with ac cpufreq-info gives me a range from 213 to
    > 1700 MHz, without ac i only get a range from 75 to 600 MHz. I'm
    > wondering why there is such a little range. I looked in my bios settings
    > and on the first look i didn't find a setting which will cause this
    > behaviour.
    >
    > Any ideas where to look further?

    can you provide the full output of cpufreq-info in both cases?

    thanks
    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  3. Re: cpufreq question

    Look into /etc/cpufreq.conf
    You will probably have to make some configuration changes.

    vlcak

    On úterý 27 září 2005 18:00, Arne Lange wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Debian 3.1 Sarge on a IBM Thinkpad R51 with kernel
    > 2.6.11-1-686. My CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1700 MHz and i'm using
    > cpufreqd to change the cpu frequency dynamicly.
    >
    > When i use my notebook with ac cpufreq-info gives me a range from 213 to
    > 1700 MHz, without ac i only get a range from 75 to 600 MHz. I'm
    > wondering why there is such a little range. I looked in my bios settings
    > and on the first look i didn't find a setting which will cause this
    > behaviour.
    >
    > Any ideas where to look further?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Arne Lange

  4. Re: cpufreq question

    Mattia Dongili schrieb:

    > can you provide the full output of cpufreq-info in both cases?

    It needed some time but here it is:

    with ac:
    $ cpufreq-info
    cpufrequtils 0.2: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004
    Report errors and bugs to linux@brodo.de, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
    driver: p4-clockmod
    CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
    hardware limits: 213 MHz - 1.70 GHz
    available frequency steps: 213 MHz, 425 MHz, 638 MHz, 850 MHz, 1.06
    GHz, 1.28GHz, 1.49 GHz, 1.70 GHz
    available cpufreq governors: userspace, performance
    current policy: frequency should be within 425 MHz and 646 MHz.
    The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
    within this range.
    current CPU frequency is 638 MHz.

    without ac:
    $ cpufreq-info
    cpufrequtils 0.2: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004
    Report errors and bugs to linux@brodo.de, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
    driver: p4-clockmod
    CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
    hardware limits: 75.0 MHz - 600 MHz
    available frequency steps: 75.0 MHz, 150 MHz, 225 MHz, 300 MHz, 375
    MHz, 450 MHz, 525 MHz, 600 MHz
    available cpufreq governors: userspace, performance
    current policy: frequency should be within 522 MHz and 600 MHz.
    The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
    within this range.
    current CPU frequency is 600 MHz.

    in /var/log/messages with ac:
    Oct 2 13:19:49 localhost kernel: Detected 1694.699 MHz processor.

    in /var/log/messages without ac:
    Oct 2 13:51:02 localhost kernel: Detected 598.174 MHz processor.

    For me it looks like something what happens before the Debian kernel
    starts. I think i've got to look further in my bios.
    Does anyone have another idea?

  5. Re: cpufreq question

    On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:13:01PM +0200, Arne Lange wrote:
    > Mattia Dongili schrieb:
    > >
    > > can you provide the full output of cpufreq-info in both cases?
    > >

    > It needed some time but here it is:
    >
    > with ac:
    > $ cpufreq-info
    > cpufrequtils 0.2: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004
    > Report errors and bugs to linux@brodo.de, please.
    > analyzing CPU 0:
    > driver: p4-clockmod

    You may want to try with a different driver (speedtstep-centrino,
    acpi-cpufreq) as p4_clockmod does save you anything, it doesn't
    acually scale freq and voltage.

    > CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
    > hardware limits: 213 MHz - 1.70 GHz
    > available frequency steps: 213 MHz, 425 MHz, 638 MHz, 850 MHz, 1.06
    > GHz, 1.28GHz, 1.49 GHz, 1.70 GHz

    [...]
    > hardware limits: 75.0 MHz - 600 MHz
    > available frequency steps: 75.0 MHz, 150 MHz, 225 MHz, 300 MHz, 375
    > MHz, 450 MHz, 525 MHz, 600 MHz

    [...]
    > For me it looks like something what happens before the Debian kernel
    > starts. I think i've got to look further in my bios.
    > Does anyone have another idea?

    [...]

    It looks to me that your bios (as does mine) decides the boot freqeuncy
    depending on ac (you might also have some dmesg warnings, when attaching
    and removing your ac plug, telling that the kernel and the system weren't
    up to date wrt cpu frequency, do you? is that warning still there??)

    1700/213=7.981 ~= 600/75=8.000
    1700/638=2.664 ~= 600/225=2.666

    the kernel reads the cpu frequency dividers without being aware of the
    above facts and simply divides the boot frequency (thinking it's the max
    value). AFAICT this is a bug in the kernel.

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  6. Re: cpufreq question

    On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:44:13PM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
    [...]
    > value). AFAICT this is a bug in the kernel.

    Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
    useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
    your system instead of p4_clockmod.

    If you need futher help please include also the content of /proc/cpuinfo

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  7. Re: cpufreq question

    Es Diumenge, 2 de Octubre de 2005 15:56, en Mattia Dongili va escriure:
    | On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:44:13PM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
    | [...]
    |
    | > value). AFAICT this is a bug in the kernel.
    |
    | Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
    | useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
    | your system instead of p4_clockmod.
    |
    | If you need futher help please include also the content of /proc/cpuinfo
    I've got a P4 (not -M)... can I use
    acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich ? If so, how? I've tryed
    modprobing the module, but it doesn't load 8-?

    Here's my /proc/cpuinfo. Thanks in advance

    -----
    root@quiniserver:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 3
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 1054.896
    cache size : 1024 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 5
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
    pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni monitor ds_cpl cid
    bogomips : 5632.51
    -----

    PD I'm now using p4-clockmod, limited by cpudyn from 1.050 to 2.800Mhz

    --
    Joan Tur (aka Quini), Eivissa-Spain
    Jabber: quini2k@jabber.org

  8. Re: cpufreq question

    On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 08:12:56PM +0200, Joan Tur wrote:
    > Es Diumenge, 2 de Octubre de 2005 15:56, en Mattia Dongili va escriure:
    > | On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:44:13PM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | > value). AFAICT this is a bug in the kernel.
    > |
    > | Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
    > | useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
    > | your system instead of p4_clockmod.
    > |
    > | If you need futher help please include also the content of /proc/cpuinfo
    > I've got a P4 (not -M)... can I use
    > acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich ? If so, how? I've tryed
    > modprobing the module, but it doesn't load 8-?

    So you can't

    [...]
    > PD I'm now using p4-clockmod, limited by cpudyn from 1.050 to 2.800Mhz

    p4_clockmod is still useful to limit heat generation.
    I use it on my desktop (but with cpufreqd-2.0.0 and the ondemand governor
    instead)

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  9. Re: cpufreq question

    Es Diumenge, 2 de Octubre de 2005 21:15, en Mattia Dongili va escriure:
    | On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 08:12:56PM +0200, Joan Tur wrote:
    | > Es Diumenge, 2 de Octubre de 2005 15:56, en Mattia Dongili va escriure:
    | > | On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:44:13PM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
    | > | [...]
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
    | > | useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
    | > | your system instead of p4_clockmod.
    | > |
    | > | If you need futher help please include also the content of
    | > | /proc/cpuinfo
    | >
    | > I've got a P4 (not -M)... can I use
    | > acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich ? If so, how? I've tryed
    | > modprobing the module, but it doesn't load 8-?
    |
    | So you can't
    Ok, I needed to get confirmation about that... google didn't help here...
    thanks

    --
    Joan Tur (aka Quini), Eivissa-Spain
    Jabber: quini2k@jabber.org
    Yahoo & AIM: quini2k
    www.ClubIbosim.org
    Linux: usuari registrat 190.783

  10. Re: cpufreq question

    Mattia Dongili schrieb:
    > Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
    > useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
    > your system instead of p4_clockmod.

    Thanks a lot!!!

    I now use the speedstep-centrino and everything works fine with and
    without ac.

    Just in case: Do you know a good link to a description of these drivers?

  11. Re: cpufreq question

    On Mon, October 3, 2005 10:21 am, Arne Lange said:
    > Mattia Dongili schrieb:
    >> Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
    >> useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
    >> your system instead of p4_clockmod.

    > Thanks a lot!!!
    >
    > I now use the speedstep-centrino and everything works fine with and
    > without ac.
    >
    > Just in case: Do you know a good link to a description of these drivers?

    http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/cpu-freq/ and the help of the
    kernel configuration is the best I can think of.
    Anyway throttling v/s scaling has been beaten to death in various ML, if
    only I could find where

    Basically throttling simply inserts more HLT instructions (depending on
    the mentioned divisor) making you CPU idle for longer periods even if
    actully busy, while scaling effectively reduces the power drain of the CPU
    (and its clock acordingly) with much more sophisticated hardware.

    Here's another doc:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

    and one of the most complete:
    http://www.free-it.de/archiv/talks_2...per-11017.html