Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly) - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly) - Debian ; David R. Litwin wrote: >snip not wroking properly. > > When I go to a web site, (say google), it will say loading for a long > time, then will either come in at the normal DSL speed, or simply ...

  1. Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

    David R. Litwin wrote:

    >snip

    not wroking properly.

    > When I go to a web site, (say google), it will say loading for a long
    > time, then will either come in at the normal DSL speed, or simply will
    > not work. Note that Gaim will often not connect (or it takes MANY
    > attempts) and that apt-get (Synaptic) will usually work, after a LONG
    > waiting period.
    >
    > ping http://www.google.com reveals nothing (says unknown host).
    >
    > What other information do you need to solve this problem?
    >
    > I thank you kindly in advance.
    >

    > --
    > ?A watched bread-crumb never boils.
    > ?My hover-craft is full of eels.
    > ?[...]and that's the he and the she of it.

    What you describe sounds like a dns related problem. And the "long time" you
    talk about is probably the the 30 sec time-out peiod of the dns system.

    check your routes and /etc/resolv.conf

    If you are running a local dns server check that it actually does what it is
    supposed to.

    If you are running multiple network cards/segments check your default
    gateway as well.

    Best reagrds
    Jan

    --
    ** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
    ** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g

  2. Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

    David R. Litwin wrote:

    > My routes? What are these and how can I go about checking them?
    > Resolv.confgives
    >
    > search no-domain-set.bellcanada
    > nameserver 192.168.2.1

    Judging from your q&a you probably shouldn't be running your own dns server.
    Your resolv.conf though refers to your local system.
    You would probably want to change the resolv.conf to point to the dns server
    of your isp:

    nameserver

    That should do the trick.

    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth1 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Litwin"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:0B:23:ED:1F:10
    > Bit Rate:36 Mb/s Tx-Power:18 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
    > Retryff RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption key:99ED-10CA-0BCE-68CB-9C92-97B8-76 Security modepen
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality=52/94 Signal level=-43 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > sit0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > If you want a look at some thing from iwlist, do ask.

    By posting this you have just handed over the key to your front door to the
    entire world (You have just made your encryption key public).
    Change it to something else QUICKLY!

    > Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > ?A watched bread-crumb never boils.
    > ?My hover-craft is full of eels.
    > ?[...]and that's the he and the she of it.

    Best regards
    Jan
    --
    ** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
    ** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g

  3. Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

    On September 28, 2005 17:27, David R. Litwin wrote:
    > > Judging from your q&a you probably shouldn't be running your own dns
    > > server.

    > I am?
    >
    > Your resolv.conf though refers to your local system.
    >
    > > You would probably want to change the resolv.conf to point to the dns
    > > server
    > > of your isp:
    > >
    > > nameserver

    > I'm not sure what or where this is. I use DSL which seems to do every thing
    > automatically. Where can I find this "ip of the dns server of your isp"?
    > What would it look like?

    If you're accessing the Internet through a little router that's plugged into
    your DSL modem then the entry in your resolv.conf is probably fine. Maybe
    check the router's settings and see if there's something like "DNS Relay".
    If there is, make sure it's enabled.

    What happens when you access the network via a wire? Same thing? Or does
    everything work fine?

    Luca

  4. Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

    David R. Litwin wrote:

    > What else should I be doing? I'm convinced that I have missed out a step;
    > or put in some too many. But what?
    >
    > I thank you kindly in advance.
    >
    > --
    > ?A watched bread-crumb never boils.
    > ?My hover-craft is full of eels.
    > ?[...]and that's the he and the she of it.

    Did you enter the IP of the DNS server of your ISP into the resolv.conf as I
    suggested earlier?
    Jan
    --
    ** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
    ** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g

  5. Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

    David R. Litwin wrote:

    >I tired moving to dhcpcd from dhclient; things seem to be slightly worse, if
    >any thing at all.

    dhcpd allows the computer running it to give out IP addresses - you
    almost certainly
    don't want it. You want dhclient.

    >I'm not sure about the DNS situation. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right
    >place to find it.?

    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    will tell you what your nameservers are configured to be at the moment
    you say it
    (this file can get modified by dhcpclient and other programs
    on-the-fly) Not sure of
    the 'debian way' of setting its default values - I think its in
    /etc/network/ (others
    have mentioned the files here in this thread)

    route -n

    will tell you what the routing tables are (something I should have
    mentioned in a previous email,
    sorry) The '-n' says use numeric answers, which is preferred if your
    nameserver isn't serving.

    rc