Re: Kernel decision - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Kernel decision - Debian ; Hi Koen, >>I was planning on getting the vanilla 2.6.13 as soon as it is out and apply >>the MM patchset (good idea for laptops?). > > Enlighten me: What does the 2.6.13 kernel and/or the mm patches > specifically ...

  1. Re: Kernel decision

    Hi Koen,

    >>I was planning on getting the vanilla 2.6.13 as soon as it is out and apply
    >>the MM patchset (good idea for laptops?).

    > Enlighten me: What does the 2.6.13 kernel and/or the mm patches
    > specifically add for laptop users?

    Kernel 2.6.13 has better ACPI support (Suspent to disk, suspend to RAM)
    - that is what I read.
    And the mm patches has drivers that didn't succeed to come with in
    2.6.13, e.g. Reiser4.

    So I would say: Kernel 2.6.13 is good, but mm Patches are not nessecary
    if you don't need the drivers.

    Greetings, Tobias

  2. Re: Kernel decision

    On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 08:30 +0200, Tobias Krais wrote:
    > Kernel 2.6.13 has better ACPI support (Suspent to disk, suspend to RAM)
    > - that is what I read.

    I have S3 and S4 working with 2.6.12 as well, with suspend2 (for S4). So
    there's not much to gain for me in that area :-)

    > And the mm patches has drivers that didn't succeed to come with in
    > 2.6.13, e.g. Reiser4.
    > So I would say: Kernel 2.6.13 is good, but mm Patches are not nessecary
    > if you don't need the drivers.

    I agree! I plan on going to 2.6.13 anyway, but I'll just wait for the
    source to be packaged.

    Koen