Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0 - Debian

This is a discussion on Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0 - Debian ; I have notice today that the touchpad of my Acer Aspire 5024 wasn't recognized anymore by the x server as a synaptics one, even if the kernel says (according to dmesg) that it is a synaptics one. After investigating for ...

  1. Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0

    I have notice today that the touchpad of my Acer Aspire 5024 wasn't
    recognized anymore by the x server as a synaptics one, even if the
    kernel says (according to dmesg) that it is a synaptics one. After
    investigating for a while I have noticed that the device associated to
    it has changed from /dev/input/event1 to /dev/input/event0 according
    to /proc/bus/input/devices. Since in my xorg.con I have the line

    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"

    of course the server couldn't recognize it. My question is: why has it changed?
    (I am sure that before it was event1, I had checked it in
    /proc/bus/input/devices and it worked)
    Could it be due to the installation of a new kernel?

  2. Re: Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0

    On Mon, August 29, 2005 2:59 pm, Michelasso said:
    > I have notice today that the touchpad of my Acer Aspire 5024 wasn't
    > recognized anymore by the x server as a synaptics one, even if the
    > kernel says (according to dmesg) that it is a synaptics one. After
    > investigating for a while I have noticed that the device associated to
    > it has changed from /dev/input/event1 to /dev/input/event0 according
    > to /proc/bus/input/devices. Since in my xorg.con I have the line
    >
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
    >
    > of course the server couldn't recognize it. My question is: why has it
    > changed?
    > (I am sure that before it was event1, I had checked it in
    > /proc/bus/input/devices and it worked)
    > Could it be due to the installation of a new kernel?

    Yes, something might have changed in the input susbsystem probing routine.
    To avoid this issue in the future it's advisable to use

    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"

    in your synaptics touchpad InputDevice section, as explained in
    /usr/share/doc/xfree86-driver-synaptics.

    hth
    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  3. Re: Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0

    On 8/29/05, Mattia Dongili wrote:

    > Yes, something might have changed in the input susbsystem probing routine..
    > To avoid this issue in the future it's advisable to use
    >
    > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    > Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    >
    > in your synaptics touchpad InputDevice section, as explained in
    > /usr/share/doc/xfree86-driver-synaptics.

    Thanks a lot for your answer; I try to ask you for some suggestion for
    some minor problems I have with the touchpad. When I use it with the
    synaptics xfree86 drivers loaded often it happens that even if I am
    moving the finger on the touchpad the cursor doesn't move, and I have
    to release the finger from the touchpad and to tap again to make it to
    move. Or some other times instead of moving the cursor, it scrolls up
    and down the window is it above, as if I was tapping above the
    vertical scroll bar of it, while I am not doing this. Or when I double
    tap on the firefox url form it doesn't select all the url it is
    currently inside it.
    This problems don't appear when instead the synaptics driver it is not used..
    I am using the same configuration of the readme you suggested, and in
    the boot options of the kernel I have "noapic nolapic i8042.nomux
    noapictimer" that I have read somewhere are supposed to improve the
    behaviour of the touchpad.
    Any suggestion will be appreciated.

  4. Re: Touchpad device changing from event1 to event0

    On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 04:20:36PM +0200, Michelasso wrote:
    [...]
    > some minor problems I have with the touchpad. When I use it with the
    > synaptics xfree86 drivers loaded often it happens that even if I am
    > moving the finger on the touchpad the cursor doesn't move, and I have
    > to release the finger from the touchpad and to tap again to make it to
    > move. Or some other times instead of moving the cursor, it scrolls up
    > and down the window is it above, as if I was tapping above the

    this is a feature actually
    It's mentioned in the package description as:
    * Vertical scrolling (button four and five events) through moving the
    finger on the right side of the touchpad

    Take a look at man 5 synaptics where an excellent explanation is
    provided. If believe this feature is annoying you can play with
    LeftEdge, RightEdge, TopEdge, BottomEdge values in order to make the
    "scroll area" smaller or disabling it at all.
    Try first using synclient in order to change values on the fly and the
    make them persistent updating your xorg.conf
    Also, quoting the manpage:
    "A good way to find appropriate edge parameters is to enable the
    SHMConfig option and run "synclient -m 1" to see the x/y coordinates
    corresponding to different positions on the touchpad."

    Ah, note that the manpage is only availble from 0.14.3.

    > vertical scroll bar of it, while I am not doing this. Or when I double
    > tap on the firefox url form it doesn't select all the url it is
    > currently inside it.

    and this might be due to inappropriate FingerHigh, FingerLow,
    MaxDoubleTapTime. Same suggestions as above apply but one more quote:
    "The MaxDoubleTapTime... If you can't perform double clicks fast enough
    (for example, xmms depends on fast double clicks), try reducing this
    parameter. If you can't get word selection to work in xterm (ie
    button down, button up, button down, move mouse), try increasing this
    parameter."

    > This problems don't appear when instead the synaptics driver it is not used.

    Of course because all the above features are missing!

    --
    mattia
    :wq!