Re: Wireless network card - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Wireless network card - Debian ; El mié, 24-08-2005 a las 09:27 -0700, Alan Ianson escribió: > Hello List, > > I would like to get wireless access working on my laptop, an hp pavilion > ze4400. When I bought the laptop it was running windows ...

  1. Re: Wireless network card

    El mié, 24-08-2005 a las 09:27 -0700, Alan Ianson escribió:
    > Hello List,
    >
    > I would like to get wireless access working on my laptop, an hp pavilion
    > ze4400. When I bought the laptop it was running windows with a 3com
    > 3crshpw196 that was working, but now I have debian Sarge (stable) installed
    > and I'm not sure but I don't think this card is supported. LSPCI doesn't show
    > anything different when I put the card in, but this is a cardbus card. Will
    > lspci list a cardbus card?
    >
    > I have my eye on a d-link dwl-g630 card

    I already have that wireless card (dwl-g630 / chipset atheros), the only
    thing that i did was :
    make kernel compilation (debian-style)
    compile madwifi driver
    ifconfig ath0 up
    and it works fine

    i'm not sure if supports monitor mode.

    bye

    --
    César Ulloa R.

    Usuario Linux #389238 @ counter.li.org
    Máquina #289770

  2. Re: Wireless network card

    On Thu August 25 2005 06:52 am, RAZEK wrote:
    > El mié, 24-08-2005 a las 09:27 -0700, Alan Ianson escribió:
    > > Hello List,
    > >
    > > I would like to get wireless access working on my laptop, an hp pavilion
    > > ze4400. When I bought the laptop it was running windows with a 3com
    > > 3crshpw196 that was working, but now I have debian Sarge (stable)
    > > installed and I'm not sure but I don't think this card is supported.
    > > LSPCI doesn't show anything different when I put the card in, but this is
    > > a cardbus card. Will lspci list a cardbus card?
    > >
    > > I have my eye on a d-link dwl-g630 card

    > I already have that wireless card (dwl-g630 / chipset atheros), the only
    > thing that i did was :
    > make kernel compilation (debian-style)
    > compile madwifi driver
    > ifconfig ath0 up
    > and it works fine

    Thanks for the tip. I did go buy this card and built the madwifi package and
    it seems to work quite well. Looking back I think the 3com card was also
    working, I just didn't know how to configure debian to get it up and running.
    I have an open unencrypted linkup to the ap right now so I need to set it up
    with a bit more security. Can you give me any pointers on how to set that up?
    Where do I put that config? Does it go under ath0 in /etc/network/interfaces?

    I need to get straight in my head how to configure wireless in debian. I seem
    to have it working now, but I'm not sure if I can do it again..

  3. Re: Wireless network card

    On Monday 29 August 2005 21:19, Alan Ianson wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip. I did go buy this card and built the madwifi package
    > and it seems to work quite well. Looking back I think the 3com card was
    > also working, I just didn't know how to configure debian to get it up and
    > running. I have an open unencrypted linkup to the ap right now so I need to
    > set it up with a bit more security. Can you give me any pointers on how to
    > set that up? Where do I put that config? Does it go under ath0 in
    > /etc/network/interfaces?
    >
    > I need to get straight in my head how to configure wireless in debian. I
    > seem to have it working now, but I'm not sure if I can do it again..

    Yes, you can put it in /etc/network/interfaces. The stanza might look
    something like

    iface home-wireless inet dhcp
    wireless-essid your essid
    wireless-mode managed
    wireless-channel 2
    wireless-key 1111-2222-3333-4444-AAAA-BBBB-CC

    Don't put quotes around your ESSID. You'll need the 'wireless-key' if you're
    using WEP. See man iwconfig for the full list of wireless configuration
    options. All the options defined in there go preceded by a "wireless-" if
    they're used in the interfaces file.

    To bring the adapter up using that particular configuration run as root
    $ ifup ath0=home-wireless

    where ath0 is your device's name. You can also have alternate configurations.
    For instance

    iface work-wireless inet static
    address 192.168.1.5
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    wireless-essid work
    wireless-mode managed
    wireless-channel 2
    wireless-key off

    and use it with $ ifup ath0=work-wireless for more details check man
    interfaces and man iwconfig.

    If you move around a bit and really want to get fancy look here:
    http://arstechnica.com/columns/linux...20040413.ars/2
    You can apparently set up your laptop to automatically detect which network is
    available and choose the appropriate adapter configuration. I haven't tried
    it myself (yet!).

    Hope that helps.

    Luca

  4. Re: Wireless network card

    > On Thu August 25 2005 06:52 am, RAZEK wrote:
    > Thanks for the tip. I did go buy this card and built the madwifi
    > package and it seems to work quite well. Looking back I think the
    > 3com card was also working, I just didn't know how to configure
    > debian to get it up and running. I have an open unencrypted linkup
    > to the ap right now so I need to set it up with a bit more security.
    > Can you give me any pointers on how to set that up? Where do I put
    > that config? Does it go under ath0 in /etc/network/interfaces?

    > I need to get straight in my head how to configure wireless in
    > debian. I seem to have it working now, but I'm not sure if I can do
    > it again..

    Install the WPA Supplicant. Gives you a single config file for
    configuring unencrypted, WEP-encrypted, or WPA encrypted network
    connections.

    WPA Supplicant handles the connection between the wireless card and
    the access point. Then you just run DHCP to handle the IP
    configuration.

    Works like a hot damn. And so much simpler than using shell scripts
    and the /etc/network/* config files to manage the interface.

    Even better, it's portable across OSes. I've used the same
    wpa_supplicant.conf file on FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, and 6.0, as well as
    Debian 3.1, and testing.
    --
    Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
    School District 73 (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]