Re: why needs to be a direct SMTP-server? - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: why needs to be a direct SMTP-server? - Debian ; At 03:11 PM 7/28/2006 +0200, sturla@hitconsult.no wrote: >When I put up my first mail-server some years ago I had problems sending >mail to servers using sorbs or other blacklists blocking non-static ip's, >but only until I found out I could ...

  1. Re: why needs to be a direct SMTP-server?

    At 03:11 PM 7/28/2006 +0200, sturla@hitconsult.no wrote:
    >When I put up my first mail-server some years ago I had problems sending
    >mail to servers using sorbs or other blacklists blocking non-static ip's,
    >but only until I found out I could use my isp's SMTP as a smart-host, this
    >seemed to solve that problem, or is it something I'm missing?
    >Is there any reason why your server needs to be a direct SMTP-server?

    What a refreshing post. Ur totally right. Forwarding to ur ISP is the
    "right" way to do it. It has several advantages. Reduces configuration and
    maintenance on ur end. Offloads server work, less DNS, disk, and CPU time.
    It can actually improve mail performance because u can take advantage of ur
    upstream's cacheing, redundancy, and aggregation. One reason u would
    actually want to deliver ur own mail is if u were doing something special,
    like private or secure mail services. TLS, SMTP login, etc. Something ur
    upstream couldn't do. Or if u don't trust them, they're broken, etc.

    --
    REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER ---=< WTC 911 >=--
    "...ne cede malis"

    00000100

  2. Re: why needs to be a direct SMTP-server?

    Chris Wagner wrote:

    >At 03:11 PM 7/28/2006 +0200, sturla@hitconsult.no wrote:
    >

    >>When I put up my first mail-server some years ago I had problems sending
    >>mail to servers using sorbs or other blacklists blocking non-static ip's,
    >>but only until I found out I could use my isp's SMTP as a smart-host, this
    >>seemed to solve that problem, or is it something I'm missing?
    >>Is there any reason why your server needs to be a direct SMTP-server?
    >>

    >What a refreshing post. Ur totally right. Forwarding to ur ISP is the
    >"right" way to do it. It has several advantages. Reduces configuration and
    >maintenance on ur end. Offloads server work, less DNS, disk, and CPU time.
    >It can actually improve mail performance because u can take advantage of ur
    >upstream's cacheing, redundancy, and aggregation. One reason u would
    >actually want to deliver ur own mail is if u were doing something special,
    >like private or secure mail services. TLS, SMTP login, etc. Something ur
    >upstream couldn't do. Or if u don't trust them, they're broken, etc.

    unfortunately, these "special" things are going more and more common.
    that is one side of the problem.
    and many of the (small and maybe bigger) ISP's don't even bother with
    this. you can purchase service, but hey you do not buy proxy server
    access if you need to look at some web site... and, i still do not think
    that this is always the "right way" doing so, if we do assume that the
    "ip addresses are created equal".

    you forgot one more plus for having own smtp server - if you do have
    your server, you can know more about what really happened to "this
    particular message".

    anyway, if you do not want to bother, this is always an option, to use
    isp's MX or to arrange/purchase one.

    edi

  3. Re: why needs to be a direct SMTP-server?

    On fre, juli 28, 2006 15:27, Chris Wagner wrote:
    > At 03:11 PM 7/28/2006 +0200, sturla@hitconsult.no wrote:
    >>When I put up my first mail-server some years ago I had problems sending
    >>mail to servers using sorbs or other blacklists blocking non-static ip's,
    >>but only until I found out I could use my isp's SMTP as a smart-host,
    >> this
    >>seemed to solve that problem, or is it something I'm missing?
    >>Is there any reason why your server needs to be a direct SMTP-server?

    > What a refreshing post. Ur totally right. Forwarding to ur ISP is the
    > "right" way to do it. It has several advantages. Reduces configuration
    > and
    > maintenance on ur end. Offloads server work, less DNS, disk, and CPU
    > time.
    > It can actually improve mail performance because u can take advantage of
    > ur
    > upstream's cacheing, redundancy, and aggregation. One reason u would
    > actually want to deliver ur own mail is if u were doing something special,
    > like private or secure mail services. TLS, SMTP login, etc. Something ur
    > upstream couldn't do. Or if u don't trust them, they're broken, etc.

    Ok, just to clarify (to me that is), what exactly do you mean by private
    or secure mail services?
    If you're going to have things encrypted from end to end the admin of the
    receiving SMTP would have to work with you on some level wouldn't (s)he?
    And SMTP-login is in to your server, not out from it, so that should work
    regardless, shouldn't it?

    Sturla