RE: NEVER USE SORBS - Debian

This is a discussion on RE: NEVER USE SORBS - Debian ; On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 17:40 +0100, James Stevenson wrote: > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Shane Chrisp [mailto:shane@2000cn.com.au] > > Sent: 27 July 2006 15:46 > > To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org > > Subject: Re: NEVER USE SORBS > > ...

  1. RE: NEVER USE SORBS

    On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 17:40 +0100, James Stevenson wrote:

    I was talking .AU specific as I eleaborated on a little more in the
    second reply. SHDSL here comes with SLA's almost as good as most Frame
    services, but at this point as most of the country "has" to use
    Telstra's infrastructure because they cant afford to run thier own, we
    are stuck with a fairly sub-standard adsl network. There are also other
    issues such as the tail to the premises etc, but thats another issue
    entirely.

    Shane

  2. RE: NEVER USE SORBS

    > > That's not actually true. ADSL Can be as guaranteed as ISDN. But in the
    > UK
    > > the reason why this is not done is because its impossible to get a SLA
    > > agreement with BT on a PSTN line. You can only get them on ISDN or

    > leased
    > > lines and of course because ADSL runs on top of this you cannot possible
    > > have a SLA on it. But there is no real reason why this could not be done
    > > other than that. Would be interesting to see if that is the same problem

    > in
    > > .au

    > I was talking .AU specific as I eleaborated on a little more in the
    > second reply. SHDSL here comes with SLA's almost as good as most Frame
    > services, but at this point as most of the country "has" to use
    > Telstra's infrastructure because they cant afford to run thier own, we
    > are stuck with a fairly sub-standard adsl network. There are also other
    > issues such as the tail to the premises etc, but thats another issue
    > entirely.

    That sounds very similar to the UK. BT Here own everything in the ground.
    Then charge the ISP's by the mbit to transport data from phone exchanges to
    the ISP's. This is why many ISP in the UK have cap's and various caps at on
    peak / offpeak times. OFTEL Who are government based in the UK have forced
    BT to allow ISP however to place their own adsl kits into exchanges to get
    around this bottle neck. But its only worth while doing these on a large
    scale eg the bigger cities.