Re: NEVER USE SORBS - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: NEVER USE SORBS - Debian ; [This message has also been posted to linux.debian.isp.] In article , Micah Anderson wrote: > In Spamcop's own words: > > This blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used > in a production environment where legitimate email ...

  1. Re: NEVER USE SORBS

    In article <6D2y4-4bD-13@gated-at.bofh.it>, Micah Anderson wrote:
    > In Spamcop's own words:
    >
    > This blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used
    > in a production environment where legitimate email must be delivered. It
    > is growing more stable and is used by many large sites now. However,
    > SpamCop is aggressive and often errs on the side of blocking mail -
    > users should be warned and given information about how their mail is
    > filtered.
    >
    > The "solution" which Spamcop imposes is worse than the problem they are
    > trying to solve: by one estimate[1], Spamcop often blocks 10,000
    > legitimate emails for each actual spam it stops.

    The trouble with Spamcop, as I understand it, is the trouble
    with AOL's global "Baysian" filter. Any Spamcop or AOL user
    can declare any received message spam, any time, for any reason.

    There's, apparently, no review. AOL's content filter is full of
    "seen in spam" URLs and keywords entered by people too lazy or
    incompetent to unsubscribe from a legitimate list they've grown tired of.
    If you run public mailing lists and you sign up for an AOL
    "feedback loop" account (you should), you'll see. Most of the SCOMPs
    are for mailing list traffic, submitted by AOLers who confirmed
    their subscriptions months or years earlier.
    There are Rush Limbaugh fans TOSsing anything that mentions
    Al Franken, and mainstream "librills" TOSsing the neonazis
    who appear inevitably in any public political forum.
    I've got small confirmed opt-in Mailman lists that just can't
    deliver to an AOL or Yahoo Mail address because, apparently,
    the lists' names contain words that too many AOLers don't like to see.

    I've also got quite a few forwarding aliases, and some of their
    end recipients are triggerhappy AOL TOSsers while others use
    that infamously inaccurate Spamcop client software. Spam gets past
    *my* DNSBL and through to them and they hit that button. It's only
    a matter of time before they hit the button enough times
    that I get listed on Spamcop's DNSBL.

    Cameron

  2. Re: NEVER USE SORBS

    On Wednesday 26 July 2006 20:46, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
    > [This message has also been posted to linux.debian.isp.]
    >
    > In article <6D2y4-4bD-13@gated-at.bofh.it>, Micah Anderson wrote:
    > > In Spamcop's own words:
    > >
    > > This blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used
    > > in a production environment where legitimate email must be delivered. It
    > > is growing more stable and is used by many large sites now. However,
    > > SpamCop is aggressive and often errs on the side of blocking mail -
    > > users should be warned and given information about how their mail is
    > > filtered.
    > >
    > > The "solution" which Spamcop imposes is worse than the problem they are
    > > trying to solve: by one estimate[1], Spamcop often blocks 10,000
    > > legitimate emails for each actual spam it stops.

    > The trouble with Spamcop, as I understand it, is the trouble
    > with AOL's global "Baysian" filter. Any Spamcop or AOL user
    > can declare any received message spam, any time, for any reason.

    No, not true. Spamcop's AUP prohibits reporting anything but spam, and they
    do enforce it. If you're the abuse contact, you get an email from Spamcop,
    and they are open to appeal.

    --
    Paul Johnson
    Jabber: Because it's time to move forward http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber