Moving web server to new IP - Debian

This is a discussion on Moving web server to new IP - Debian ; Hi There, I know this is strictly not a debian question, but i will be using debian todo it! I need to move our web server to a new IP range. This is hosting around 300 websites, about 250 on ...

  1. Moving web server to new IP

    Hi There,

    I know this is strictly not a debian question, but i will be using
    debian todo it!

    I need to move our web server to a new IP range. This is hosting
    around 300 websites, about 250 on 2-3 IPS (standard name based virtual
    hosts) and the rest on their own IPs (SSL hosts). All running on
    apache/php/mysql.

    Im wondering how i can achieve this over a period of a week rather
    than all in one go.

    My thoughts are to set up some sort of proxy to proxy the requests
    from one IP range to another. But, this would result in wierd hit
    stats (coming from the proxy IP rather than the client IP - i think).

    Im wondering if this could be done with netfilter somehow? or some other way?

    Moving mail and DNS is easy as i can use pedrition for the mail proxey
    and just run dual name servers until they are sorted as they are low
    overhead anyway.

    Any input is appreciated.

    Simon

  2. Re: Moving web server to new IP

    Hi Simon,

    Drop the TTLs on all of these sites down to something low (eg 1minute)
    about a week before hand. This should cut down on the number of requests
    that hit the old IP addresses. Then, simply switch the DNS records over
    to refer to the new IP range, and establish a proxy on the old IP addresses.

    Sure, some requests will still hit the old addresses, but they'll be few
    and far between. The same should also be true of mail. Then, once
    there's nothing more hitting those IP addresses, you can safely
    decommission them.

    Regards,
    Chris Jones

    --