Re: backup server to send email - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: backup server to send email - Debian ; Hi I can't help you because you've not asked a well-though-out question that provides me with the information that I need to answer it. Restating the question may help. Please use this as a reference in the future; http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Cherubini ...

  1. Re: backup server to send email

    --
    # Jesse Molina
    # Mail = jesse@opendreams.net

  2. Re: backup server to send email

    > Cherubini Enrico wrote:
    >> Good day,
    >> I would like to know if there is any way for postfix to send email to a
    >> smarthost server (a backup server) if something fail, ie disk full,

    If I understand your question correctly. If your main mailserver is
    unavailable, you want another mailserver to accept mail on your behalf
    until the main server is back.

    The magic google terms are: 'postfix backup mx'.

    If you didn't know the term 'mx', I highly reccomend

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/postfix/

    ....which explains the whole process very clearly.

    Oversimplifying, the process is:

    1) List domains you want backup mail service for.
    2) configure your backup mailserver with these domains in:

    relay_recipient_maps

    3) configure your DNS so that your backup mail server has
    an MX record of with a higher number than your primary

    When your first server is returning 400 "temporary failure" errors, the
    stmtp servers trying to connect to it will try your backup.

    It is worth noting that when your email server is down, people will keep
    trying to connect to it for 3 days, so you may not need a backup server.