my domain gets greylisted - Debian

This is a discussion on my domain gets greylisted - Debian ; Hi, I have a domain for which I don't use a mail server. At my domain registrar's page, I've enabled all my mails to be forwarded to my gmail account. From there I use fetchmail to download all my mails ...

  1. my domain gets greylisted

    Hi,

    I have a domain for which I don't use a mail server.
    At my domain registrar's page, I've enabled all my mails to be forwarded to my
    gmail account. From there I use fetchmail to download all my mails to my
    laptop.

    To send mails I'm running postfix on my laptop. I send mails through the
    localhost. I guess many people might be using similar setup for sending mails
    at least.

    The problem is that my domain's MX record doesn't match during Reverse DNS. Due
    to this my domain is greylisted/blacklisted in many spam preventing lists.

    Is there a way to tackle this issue ?

    Thanks,
    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com

  2. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:18:15AM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    > Stephen Gran on Tuesday 18 Jul 2006 22:34 wrote:
    >
    > > Use a properly confured mail relay as your smarthost.

    > Can you elaborate a little more on this or provide pointers to docs?

    Your description is a little confusing to me (if you're having
    problems sending mail, we don't need to hear about how you receive
    mail. Just describe the sending part).

    But if I understand you correctly then you are directly sending out
    mail from your own machine rather than using your ISP's smarthost or
    other "proper" outgoing mail relay.

    If this interpretation is correct then this approach is doomed to
    failure as discussed at length on this list, and you should instead
    use your ISP's outgoing mail relay or some other
    correctly-configured host that is set up to allow you to relay mail.

    Cheers,
    Andy

  3. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    Stephen Gran on Tuesday 18 Jul 2006 22:34 wrote:

    > Use a properly confured mail relay as your smarthost.

    Can you elaborate a little more on this or provide pointers to docs?

    Thanks,
    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    "Stealing logic from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

  4. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    Stephen Gran on Tuesday 18 Jul 2006 22:34 wrote:

    > Use a properly confured mail relay as your smarthost.

    Thanks for pointing out.

    I had been too lazy to find about it first. :-)
    RTFM worked.

    Thanks,
    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    "Stealing logic from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

  5. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    On Tuesday 18 July 2006 22:30, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    > Stephen Gran on Tuesday 18 Jul 2006 22:34 wrote:
    > > Use a properly confured mail relay as your smarthost.

    > Thanks for pointing out.
    >
    > I had been too lazy to find about it first. :-)
    > RTFM worked.

    Would be nice if you could send a "[SOLVED] Re: blah blah" message mentioning
    the steps you took or quoting the documentation you used to resolve the
    issues.

    Thus, next time someone is in your shoes asking for pointers, the archives
    will provide some. Please think of the next.

    Cheers

    -A

  6. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    Ritesh Raj Sarraf on Wednesday 19 Jul 2006 01:00 wrote:

    > Stephen Gran on Tuesday 18 Jul 2006 22:34 wrote:
    >
    >> Use a properly confured mail relay as your smarthost.

    > Thanks for pointing out.
    >
    > I had been too lazy to find about it first. :-)
    > RTFM worked.

    It looks like my service provider is not allowing smtp services for my package.
    Configuring smarthost, my laptop is able to forward mails to the service
    providers host, mail gets sent from my machine but doesn't reach its
    destination.

    Is it that they are dropping ?
    I doubt if there is any other way ?

    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    "Stealing logic from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

  7. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:00:34PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    > It looks like my service provider is not allowing smtp services for my package.
    > Configuring smarthost, my laptop is able to forward mails to the
    > service providers host, mail gets sent from my machine but doesn't
    > reach its destination.
    >
    > Is it that they are dropping ?

    If you have logs from your MTA saying that their MTA accepted it
    then ask their support dept. what is going on with it from there.
    Until you have those logs, it's a bit premature to guess.

    Cheers,
    Andy

  8. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    Andy Smith on Wednesday 19 Jul 2006 14:34 wrote:

    >> Is it that they are dropping ?

    > If you have logs from your MTA saying that their MTA accepted it
    > then ask their support dept. what is going on with it from there.
    > Until you have those logs, it's a bit premature to guess.

    Yes, my MTA logs say that the remote server (my service providers smtp) accepted
    the delivery.

    Here's what it looks like:

    Jul 19 12:26:43 localhost postfix/smtpd[22035]: connect from ip6-localhost[::1]
    Jul 19 12:26:43 localhost postfix/smtpd[22035]: 45F71104091:
    client=ip6-localhost[::1]
    Jul 19 12:26:43 localhost postfix/cleanup[22038]: 45F71104091:
    message-id=<200607191226.42514.rrs@researchut.com>
    Jul 19 12:26:43 localhost postfix/qmgr[21802]: 45F71104091:
    from=, size=1560, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Jul 19 12:26:43 localhost postfix/smtpd[22035]: disconnect from
    ip6-localhost[::1]
    Jul 19 12:26:46 localhost postfix/smtp[22039]: 45F71104091:
    to=, relay=eforwardct.name-services.com
    [216.163.188.58], delay=3, status=sent (250 Ok: queued as 86B0B16E1CE)
    Jul 19 12:26:46 localhost postfix/qmgr[21802]: 45F71104091: removed

    And here's what it is when not using a smarthost:

    Jul 19 21:17:05 localhost postfix/qmgr[23429]: 046EE104091:
    from=, size=1578, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Jul 19 21:17:07 localhost postfix/smtp[32071]: connect to
    smtp.ins.dell.com[143.166.83.183]: server refused to talk to me:
    554-pc-smtp.us.dell.com 554 Connections from this sending hostname Unknown, IP
    address of: (port 25)
    Jul 19 21:17:11 localhost postfix/smtp[32071]: connect to
    smtp2.ins.dell.com[143.166.83.141]: server refused to talk to me:
    554-pc-smtp2.us.dell.com 554 Connections from this sending hostname Unknown,
    IP address of: 210.18.182.33 are being rejec
    ted due to low SenderBase Reputation score (below -2) or due to bad DNS PTR
    record for your mail server. Please check your
    DNS PTR for 210.18.182.33. Forward and reverse DNS entries must match for
    210.18.182.33. Your SenderBase organization: 114
    4284. See http://www.senderbase.org/ for more information. (port 25)
    Jul 19 21:17:11 localhost postfix/smtp[32071]: 046EE104091:
    to=, relay=none, delay=29507, status=
    deferred (connect to smtp2.ins.dell.com[143.166.83.141]: server refused to talk
    to me: 554-pc-smtp2.us.dell.com 554 Connec
    tions from this sending hostname Unknown, IP address of: 210.18.182.33 are being
    rejected due to low SenderBase Reputation
    score (below -2) or due to bad DNS PTR record for your mail server. Please check
    your DNS PTR for 210.18.182.33. Forward a
    nd reverse DNS entries must match for 210.18.182.33. Your SenderBase
    organization: 1144284. See http://www.senderbase.org/
    for more information. )

    I think there's nothing much I can do. Probably I should start hunting for a
    reliable smtp service provider.

    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    "Stealing logic from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

  9. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    > Yes, my MTA logs say that the remote server (my service providers smtp) accepted
    > the delivery.

    Well, Yahoo seems to think that your email is Bulk. ;-) So, I started
    looking around and it is easy to see why you are greylisted. There is
    no PTR record for your IP address. You are luck to only be greylisted. ;-)

    -Jim P.

  10. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:42:42 -0400, Jim Popovitch
    wrote:

    > Yahoo seems to think that your email is Bulk. ;-)

    I have an old yahoo email address which is constantly inundated with
    spam. And not all of it goes to bulk.

    Yet when I send real email to that address, it often goes to the bulk
    folder.

    I plan for the day when I can leave that yahoo address behind ...

  11. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    John Kelly wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:42:42 -0400, Jim Popovitch
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Yahoo seems to think that your email is Bulk. ;-)

    > I have an old yahoo email address which is constantly inundated with
    > spam. And not all of it goes to bulk.
    >
    > Yet when I send real email to that address, it often goes to the bulk
    > folder.
    >
    > I plan for the day when I can leave that yahoo address behind ...

    I'm not here to advocate on Yahoo's behalf, but I will add that there
    are things you can do to make Yahoo work better for you. For me, it
    works, and it works well. Yahoo correctly identifies abt 98% of
    incoming spam and moves it into Bulk. Sometimes one or two emails make
    it into Bulk that perhaps shouldn't (although their can always be
    debate on that part), and sometimes one or two spam emails make it into
    my inbox. I can deal with 2 or 3 mis-handled emails each day assuming
    Yahoo keeps up correctly tagging ~150 each day. If those numbers ever
    switch, then I'll leave Yahoo quite promptly. ;-)

    Looking at the current thread, I appreciate Yahoo not just accepting
    email because it comes from murphy.debian.org.

    -Jim P.

  12. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:16:40 -0400, Jim Popovitch
    wrote:

    > I can deal with 2 or 3 mis-handled emails each day assuming Yahoo
    > keeps up correctly tagging ~150 each day.

    To me, it's a waste of time looking thru 100 pieces of spam, porn, and
    other garbage, worrying that one or two might be false positives.

    Why bother with all that effort?

    I reject spam at SMTP time. If there are a few false positives, so
    what? Missing an email now and then, is not the end of the world.

    We still have telephones, fax machines, etc.

  13. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:28:50 -0400, Jim Popovitch
    wrote:

    > Of interest, Yahoo just Bulk'ed repies to me from whitelist@verizon.net.
    > It is a cruel world. ;-)

    That's my point. They use the wrong tests to identify spam. With all
    their technology and resources, I believe they do a poor job.

  14. Re: my domain gets greylisted

    John Kelly wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:28:50 -0400, Jim Popovitch
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Of interest, Yahoo just Bulk'ed repies to me from whitelist@verizon.net.
    >> It is a cruel world. ;-)

    > That's my point. They use the wrong tests to identify spam. With all
    > their technology and resources, I believe they do a poor job.

    You have a valid point, however there are others who would say that
    blocking anything from verizon is the only responsible thing. ;-)

    -Jim P.