iSCSI for hosted environments? - Debian

This is a discussion on iSCSI for hosted environments? - Debian ; Hi all, We are about to purchase an iSCSI array (Intel) to centralize the storage requirements we have. Initially we only wanted to use it less io intensive activities like archiving and low-volume applications. But more and more we are ...

  1. iSCSI for hosted environments?

    Hi all,

    We are about to purchase an iSCSI array (Intel) to centralize the
    storage requirements we have.

    Initially we only wanted to use it less io intensive activities like
    archiving and low-volume applications. But more and more we are thinking
    about also running more intensive applications of it like IMAP and
    MySQL. Altough here I have worries about performance. Ideally it would
    be great if we could combine it with the advantages of system
    virtualisation (xen).

    Do you have thoughts and/or considerations on this? Or any experiences?

    Thanks,

    Frederik.

  2. Re: iSCSI for hosted environments?

    Am Montag, den 26.06.2006, 14:01 +0200 schrieb Frederik Denkens:

    > We are about to purchase an iSCSI array (Intel) to centralize the
    > storage requirements we have.
    >
    > Initially we only wanted to use it less io intensive activities like
    > archiving and low-volume applications. But more and more we are thinking
    > about also running more intensive applications of it like IMAP and
    > MySQL. Altough here I have worries about performance. Ideally it would
    > be great if we could combine it with the advantages of system
    > virtualisation (xen).
    >
    > Do you have thoughts and/or considerations on this? Or any experiences?

    right now there is no iscsi support in Debian.
    The open-iscsi package are being maintained at
    http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-iscsi and
    http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-iscsi/

    I don't know the latest status of the package. CC: Maintainer.

    Maybe this is the first step you need to get a working open-iscsi and
    Debian. The needed drivers are in the vanilla kernel since 2.6.14 so you
    would need a backported/self-built kernel.

    --
    Noèl Köthe
    Credativ GmbH, www.credativ.de

+ Reply to Thread