tomcat problems - Debian

This is a discussion on tomcat problems - Debian ; Hi all, I'm having a helluva time getting tomcat to work on woody w/apache 1.3. i've got tomcat 4 installed, IBM sdk installed and symlinked in /usr/local/ to /usr/local/java. it looked like tomcat may have been reaching the kaffe java ...

  1. tomcat problems

    Hi all,

    I'm having a helluva time getting tomcat to work on woody w/apache 1.3.
    i've got tomcat 4 installed, IBM sdk installed and symlinked in
    /usr/local/ to /usr/local/java. it looked like tomcat may have been
    reaching the kaffe java packages, so i changed all the java related
    packages in /etc/alternatives to point to the new location. I go to
    start tomcat with the init.d script, and it doesn't error out, but
    nothing gets started. i've tried exporting JAVA_HOME via bash, then
    running /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/start.sh and that launches a catalina
    start script, but nothing else:

    host:~# set |grep -i java
    JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-142

    host:~# /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/startup.sh
    Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat4
    Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat4
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat4/temp
    Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-142

    host:~# ps aux | grep tom
    root 31969 0.0 0.1 3244 1464 pts/0 S 14:26 0:00 /bin/sh
    /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/catalina.sh start

    I've done a good amount of googling for tutorials and howto's which all
    seem fairly similar, and pretty straight foward, though nothing i've
    tried is working.

    can anyone suggest a good known working tutorial or howto for making
    this work?

    also, i'm using debian on a xserver powerpc architecture which could be
    the problem (???), hence the reason i'm using IBM's sdk and not Sun's.

    any insight appreciated, i'm not sure where to go at this point, and i
    need to get this setup asap.

    thanks...

  2. Re: tomcat problems

    On Monday 10 October 2005 04:40 pm, jack wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm having a helluva time getting tomcat to work on woody w/apache 1.3.
    > i've got tomcat 4 installed, IBM sdk installed and symlinked in
    > /usr/local/ to /usr/local/java. it looked like tomcat may have been
    > reaching the kaffe java packages, so i changed all the java related
    > packages in /etc/alternatives to point to the new location. I go to
    > start tomcat with the init.d script, and it doesn't error out, but
    > nothing gets started. i've tried exporting JAVA_HOME via bash, then
    > running /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/start.sh and that launches a catalina
    > start script, but nothing else:
    >
    > host:~# set |grep -i java
    > JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-142
    >
    > host:~# /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/startup.sh
    > Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat4
    > Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat4
    > Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat4/temp
    > Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-142
    >
    > host:~# ps aux | grep tom
    > root 31969 0.0 0.1 3244 1464 pts/0 S 14:26 0:00 /bin/sh
    > /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/catalina.sh start
    >
    > I've done a good amount of googling for tutorials and howto's which all
    > seem fairly similar, and pretty straight foward, though nothing i've
    > tried is working.
    >
    > can anyone suggest a good known working tutorial or howto for making
    > this work?
    >
    > also, i'm using debian on a xserver powerpc architecture which could be
    > the problem (???), hence the reason i'm using IBM's sdk and not Sun's.
    >
    > any insight appreciated, i'm not sure where to go at this point, and i
    > need to get this setup asap.
    >
    > thanks...

    what has worked for me (for SUN JDK, at least - you can try replacing the the
    sun jdk with IBM jdk):

    1) apt-get install fakeroot java-package
    2) fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-xxxx.bin
    (where jdk-xxxx.bin is the sun jdk download.)
    3) after some questions, you get a .deb package
    4) dpkg -i whatever.deb

    then, try installing tomcat4 and whatever else.

    hope that helps.

    anoop.