RE: debian 3.1 and proftpd server for my isp company help required - Debian

This is a discussion on RE: debian 3.1 and proftpd server for my isp company help required - Debian ; Hello, > 1)Create a separate group for this ftpusers That's more to the system itself, don't your customers already have a group of their own? If not, they should, use that group on 2) for example. > 2)These users should ...

  1. RE: debian 3.1 and proftpd server for my isp company help required

    Hello,

    > 1)Create a separate group for this ftpusers

    That's more to the system itself, don't your customers already have a group of their own? If not, they should, use that group on 2) for example.

    > 2)These users should login in to their home directory other
    > than that nothing should see

    Basically you just need the directive

    "DefaultRoot ~" (~ means home directory, like "cd ~" in shell)

    in your proftpd.conf. It's possible to implement more magic, as proftpd understands ACLs. Also, I used

    "DefaultRoot ~ !staff" (the "!" negates the following object.)

    which means, all users are bound to their home directory except those in the group staff.

    > 3)If i want to remove the shell access for all these users
    > how to configure proftpd.conf file

    As in 1) - nothing to do with proftpd itself. I usally don't give a valid shell in /etc/passwd like /bin/noshell or the like. Also, noone should be able to get a shell to your system anyway except physically at the console. For instance you can define who's allowed to ssh to your machine and the like.

    > 4)Security how to configure this in proftps.conf

    Never done myself, sorry.

    > I read the documents but i didn't understand fully.

    I think the proftpd.conf is pretty good commented, also I think there was a good document on proftpd somewhere in the debian manuals section.

    Best regards,

    Erik

  2. Re: debian 3.1 and proftpd server for my isp company help required

    Hello,

    Erik Dörnbach a écrit :
    > also I think there was a good document on proftpd somewhere
    > in the debian manuals section.

    I suppose you're talking about:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#securing
    that have:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/se...l#s-ftp-secure

    --
    Emmanuel, who doesn't run a ftp server anyway :-)

    Emmanuel Halbwachs Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
    tel : (+33)1 69 63 61 34 CNRS UPR 20
    fax : (+33)1 69 63 60 06 Route de Nozay F 91460 Marcoussis