cyrus backup - Debian

This is a discussion on cyrus backup - Debian ; We're moving to cyrus so we can do all the nifty kolab stuff. Right now we're studying how to get a good enough backup. After discarding LVM snapshots and stopping the mail server, Our options seem to be: A) Do ...

  1. cyrus backup

    We're moving to cyrus so we can do all the nifty kolab stuff.

    Right now we're studying how to get a good enough backup.

    After discarding LVM snapshots and stopping the mail server, Our options
    seem to be:

    A) Do a 'hot' backup while the server is running

    B) sync to another cyrus, stop that cyrus and back
    it up.

    Option A has the advantage of simplicity, We can reuse our courier
    backup w/o problem. It has the disadvantage of backing up cyrus Berkley
    db files in an inconsistent state. --We risk losing some state,
    particularly the "seen" state of messages.

    Option B has the disadvantage of complexity.

    We have only about 300 mailboxes but expect to be at 1200 in a year or so.

    Does anyone have experience with a full restore of a cyrus server from a
    hot sloppy backup ?

    From our small search-fu, we have a pretty good idea of how to do
    either option. We're looking for more thought on why.

  2. Re: cyrus backup

    [* Dan MacNeil / Tue Oct 04, 2005 at 16:54:52PM -0400]:

    Hi,

    > We're moving to cyrus so we can do all the nifty kolab stuff. Right
    > now we're studying how to get a good enough backup. After
    > discarding LVM snapshots and stopping the mail server, Our options
    > seem to be:

    may I ask why you discarded the LVM snapshots? any problems with that
    approach?

    I'm curently planning a backup-strategy for an Cyrus server, too and I
    thought of using LVM, so I would like to know if people on this list
    have (postive or negative) experiences with this approach.

    thanks & bye: stephan.
    stephan beirer invalidenstr. 42 10115 berlin/germany
    theoretical biophysics phone +49 30 2093 8694 room 501
    institute of biology http://itb.biologie.hu-berlin.de/~beirer
    humboldt university berlin

  3. Re: cyrus backup

    On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:20:09PM +0200, stephan beirer wrote:
    > [* Dan MacNeil / Tue Oct 04, 2005 at 16:54:52PM -0400]:
    > > We're moving to cyrus so we can do all the nifty kolab stuff. Right
    > > now we're studying how to get a good enough backup. After
    > > discarding LVM snapshots and stopping the mail server, Our options
    > > seem to be:

    > may I ask why you discarded the LVM snapshots? any problems with that
    > approach?

    I've found them extremely unstable producing frequent kernel-space
    lockups and it appeas to be something that the LVM chaps at Red Hat
    are actively working on.

  4. Re: cyrus backup (LVM stability)

    Andy Smith wrote:

    >>>now we're studying how to get a good enough backup. After
    >>>discarding LVM snapshots and stopping the mail server, Our options
    >>>seem to be:

    >>may I ask why you discarded the LVM snapshots? any problems with that
    >>approach?

    > I've found them extremely unstable producing frequent kernel-space
    > lockups and it appea2.6.8-2-686-smps to be something that the LVM chaps at Red Hat
    > are actively working on.

    With LVM / 2.6.8-2-686-smp / reiserfs

    We had kernel panics every 24 hours or so, when we took LVM out of the
    picture, the kernel panics stopped.

    We feel a little guilty about not digging deeper and filing decent bug
    reports but...