Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection) - Debian

This is a discussion on Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection) - Debian ; Hello list, I have just set up 2 mail-servers that act as MX for nearly 400 domains and are used by a restricted group of clients for sending mail to the world The "problem" is that sometimes the smtpd connection ...

  1. Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection)

    Hello list,
    I have just set up 2 mail-servers that act as MX for nearly 400 domains
    and are used by a restricted group of clients for sending mail to the world
    The "problem" is that sometimes the smtpd connection is slow (about 3 or
    4 seconds) to send an email.

    By the hardware point of view the servers are powerful.

    Suggestions?
    --
    Andrea Berardi aka Syneus
    Linux Registered User #395193

  2. Re: Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection)

    Andrea Berardi wrote:
    > Hello list,
    > I have just set up 2 mail-servers that act as MX for nearly 400 domains
    > and are used by a restricted group of clients for sending mail to the world
    > The "problem" is that sometimes the smtpd connection is slow (about 3 or
    > 4 seconds) to send an email.
    >
    > By the hardware point of view the servers are powerful.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Don't worry about it? Why is three or four seconds a problem to send an
    email?

  3. Re: Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection)

    Andrea Berardi wrote:

    >Hello list,
    >I have just set up 2 mail-servers that act as MX for nearly 400 domains
    >and are used by a restricted group of clients for sending mail to the world
    >The "problem" is that sometimes the smtpd connection is slow (about 3 or
    >4 seconds) to send an email.
    >
    >By the hardware point of view the servers are powerful.
    >
    >Suggestions?

    You may need to check if all your clients have reverse DNS.

    --

    Best regards,
    Adrian Minta

  4. Re: Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection)

    Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > Andrea Berardi wrote:
    >
    >>Hello list,
    >>I have just set up 2 mail-servers that act as MX for nearly 400 domains
    >>and are used by a restricted group of clients for sending mail to the world
    >>The "problem" is that sometimes the smtpd connection is slow (about 3 or
    >>4 seconds) to send an email.
    >>
    >>By the hardware point of view the servers are powerful.
    >>
    >>Suggestions?

    > Don't worry about it? Why is three or four seconds a problem to send an
    > email?

    In fact wait for three or four seconds to send an email is not a big
    problem, but if the servers are very powerful and often /usr/bin/w tell
    me that the load is around 0,02 i wondered why sometimes the smtp
    connection is so slow.

    Probably, as Adrian Minta suggests, the delay is caused by the DNS lookup.

    Thank you.
    --
    Andrea Berardi aka Syneus
    Linux Registered User #395193
    http://counter.li.org/

  5. Re: Postfix Trouble2 (slow smtp connection)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Andrea Berardi wrote:
    > In fact wait for three or four seconds to send an email is not a big
    > problem, but if the servers are very powerful and often /usr/bin/w tell
    > me that the load is around 0,02 i wondered why sometimes the smtp
    > connection is so slow.

    DNS for sure, as you have already been told.

    Henrique Holschuh