Debian "eyecatcher" Project - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian "eyecatcher" Project - Debian ; [ cc to -doc, -i18n, -events-eu and -events-na as announcement, discussion should follow in eyecatcher-general ] Good morning! Some people (I remember at least Michael Banck, Michael Bramer and Martin Zobel-Helas talking about it) had the idea, to create some ...

  1. Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    [ cc to -doc, -i18n, -events-eu and -events-na as announcement, discussion
    should follow in eyecatcher-general ]

    Good morning!

    Some people (I remember at least Michael Banck, Michael Bramer and Martin
    Zobel-Helas talking about it) had the idea, to create some kind of
    presentation, to attract the attention of visitors during fairs,
    exhibitions and such events.

    The idea would be to run some kind of informative (and funny?)
    presentation about Debian in a loop on the computers of your booth, when
    you have nothing else to show (while you are busy with other visitors,
    etc.)

    We therefore started the Debian eyecatcher project on alioth [1], to
    create such a presentation. Since one of the big benefits of Debian is
    it's good i18n support, the presentation should be available in many
    languages, too.

    Well, I hope I described the idea behind eyecatcher well. As you might
    have seen visiting the project page: We are still in early stage and
    could need some help.

    The current status is the following: We had the idea, and ... well, we
    just started, what do you expect

    Currently we are thinking about creating the presentation in mgp [2],
    since it seems to be the easiest way, to track changes and translate it.

    Well, so much for now. If you would like to join it, translate, or
    provide content, feel free to subscribe to our list [4], or catch me or
    zobel on irc.

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexander

    Links:
    1: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/eyecatcher/
    2: http://packages.debian.org/mgp
    4: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailm...atcher-general

  2. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    Hi Andreas,

    On Sunday, 09 Jan 2005, you wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
    >
    > >Well, I hope I described the idea behind eyecatcher well. As you might
    > >have seen visiting the project page: We are still in early stage and
    > >could need some help.

    > I have a certain amount of landscape images - just in case you do not
    > want only technical.
    >
    > >Currently we are thinking about creating the presentation in mgp [2],
    > >since it seems to be the easiest way, to track changes and translate it.

    > I'm in the process of switching form MagicPoint to latex-beamer.
    > While MagicPoint is quite fine, latex-beamer has (besides much
    > more featureful) the big advantage that you get plain PDF output
    > which is run by AcroRead. Just imagine you want to run your
    > presentation on a machine you have no chance to install MagicPoint ...
    >
    > BTW, we just also think about kind of common latex-beamer theme for
    > Debian talks as well.

    I thought about using latex-beamer for eyecatcher as well. The most
    important fact which made me decide not to use latex-beamer is, we would
    need to use commercial software.

    Greetings
    Martin
    --
    Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
    -- R. A. Heinlein

  3. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

    > Well, I hope I described the idea behind eyecatcher well. As you might
    > have seen visiting the project page: We are still in early stage and
    > could need some help.

    I have a certain amount of landscape images - just in case you do not
    want only technical.

    > Currently we are thinking about creating the presentation in mgp [2],
    > since it seems to be the easiest way, to track changes and translate it.

    I'm in the process of switching form MagicPoint to latex-beamer.
    While MagicPoint is quite fine, latex-beamer has (besides much
    more featureful) the big advantage that you get plain PDF output
    which is run by AcroRead. Just imagine you want to run your
    presentation on a machine you have no chance to install MagicPoint ...

    BTW, we just also think about kind of common latex-beamer theme for
    Debian talks as well.

    Kind regards

    Andreas.
    --
    http://fam-tille.de

  4. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:10:37AM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
    > Hi Andreas,
    >
    > On Sunday, 09 Jan 2005, you wrote:

    > > I'm in the process of switching form MagicPoint to latex-beamer.
    > > While MagicPoint is quite fine, latex-beamer has (besides much
    > > more featureful) the big advantage that you get plain PDF output
    > > which is run by AcroRead. Just imagine you want to run your
    > > presentation on a machine you have no chance to install MagicPoint ...
    > >
    > > BTW, we just also think about kind of common latex-beamer theme for
    > > Debian talks as well.

    > I thought about using latex-beamer for eyecatcher as well. The most
    > important fact which made me decide not to use latex-beamer is, we would
    > need to use commercial software.

    There is nothing wrong with commercial[1] software when it is free[2].

    What is the non-free part of latex-beamer?

    Cheers
    Geert Stappers
    Leaving the honour to reducing crosspostings to others

    [1] using the same word at the wrong place, more information at
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-...tml#Commercial
    [2] free as in freedom of speech.

  5. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    Hi Geert,

    On Sunday, 09 Jan 2005, you wrote:
    > On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:10:37AM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
    > > Hi Andreas,
    > >
    > > On Sunday, 09 Jan 2005, you wrote:

    > > > I'm in the process of switching form MagicPoint to latex-beamer.
    > > > While MagicPoint is quite fine, latex-beamer has (besides much
    > > > more featureful) the big advantage that you get plain PDF output
    > > > which is run by AcroRead. Just imagine you want to run your
    > > > presentation on a machine you have no chance to install MagicPoint ...
    > > >
    > > > BTW, we just also think about kind of common latex-beamer theme for
    > > > Debian talks as well.

    > > I thought about using latex-beamer for eyecatcher as well. The most
    > > important fact which made me decide not to use latex-beamer is, we would
    > > need to use commercial software.

    > There is nothing wrong with commercial[1] software when it is free[2].
    >
    > What is the non-free part of latex-beamer?

    no, but you need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    Greetings
    Martin
    --
    Sign my PETITION.

  6. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
    > On Sunday, 09 Jan 2005, you wrote:

    > > What is the non-free part of latex-beamer?

    > no, but you need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    It doesn't work with xpdf?

    Jacob
    --
    By becoming continuous, war has fundamentally changed its character.
    In past ages, a war, almost by definition, was something that sooner

  7. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

    > It doesn't work with xpdf?

    Xpdf is perfectly able to display the generated output but it does not
    know the full screen mode (just press in acroread) and is not
    able to handle animations like glitter etc. May be we could ignore the
    later one for the moment but full screen is IMHO a killer criterium
    but should not be so difficult to implement.

    But this is no problem of latex-beamer ...

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    --
    http://fam-tille.de

  8. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sunday 09 January 2005 12:11, Andreas Tille wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
    > > It doesn't work with xpdf?

    > Xpdf is perfectly able to display the generated output but it does not
    > know the full screen mode (just press in acroread) and is not
    > able to handle animations like glitter etc. May be we could ignore the
    > later one for the moment but full screen is IMHO a killer criterium
    > but should not be so difficult to implement.

    both kghostview and kpdf do fullscreen, no idea about the animations
    --
    Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

  9. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:11:27PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
    > But this is no problem of latex-beamer ...

    How about using HTML (with a lot of ugly ECMAscript) and
    Firefox in full screen as viewer?

    Cheers, WB

    Btw: I did some presentations using DocBook slides with HTML
    output and Firefox (on Windows!) as viewer...

  10. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    Moin!

    * Andreas Tille [050109 10:01]:

    > >Well, I hope I described the idea behind eyecatcher well. As you might
    > >have seen visiting the project page: We are still in early stage and
    > >could need some help.

    > I have a certain amount of landscape images - just in case you do not
    > want only technical.

    Currently we are in an early stage and try to solve the described
    technical problems. As soon as we got a satisfactorily solution we can
    start thinking about design and content.

    We finished a first prototype a couple of days ago [1], but unfortunatly I
    didn't had time in the last days to do further work.

    1: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/piper...ry/000013.html

    > >Currently we are thinking about creating the presentation in mgp [2],
    > >since it seems to be the easiest way, to track changes and translate it.

    > I'm in the process of switching form MagicPoint to latex-beamer.
    > While MagicPoint is quite fine, latex-beamer has (besides much
    > more featureful) the big advantage that you get plain PDF output
    > which is run by AcroRead.

    mgp has one feature, that might prove usefull: You can embed nearly
    everything in it, for example a small video showing a nice feature of
    Debian.

    Furthermore to the best of my knowledge there exists no pdf viewer (BTW:
    xpdf has a fullscreen mode, just call it with -fullscreen) which can
    proceed to the next page automatically.

    The whole point is to run the presentation unattended. Therefore you
    must be able to loop it somehow (therefore a viewer stopping at very
    last page is quite difficult, you would need to run it in a loop, and
    kill when after it showed the last page), and must have some kind of dia
    show feature, since we don't want to have someone standing at the
    computer showing the presention, pressing a button every couple of
    minutes to proceed.

    Please don't take me wrong: I haven't fallen in love with Magicpont,
    and it is not perfect for this job, but as far as I can tell every other
    proposed solution would create as much as problems as it would solve.

    > Just imagine you want to run your presentation on a machine you have
    > no chance to install MagicPoint ...

    That's not the primary target group of eyecatcher; it would be nice if
    we could reach it (e.g. via magicpoints html export?), but if we can't,
    I can live with that.

    > BTW, we just also think about kind of common latex-beamer theme for
    > Debian talks as well.

    That would be nice, indeed.

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexanmder

  11. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    * Andreas Tille [050109 12:11]:

    > >It doesn't work with xpdf?

    > Xpdf is perfectly able to display the generated output but it does not
    > know the full screen mode (just press in acroread)

    Yes, xpdf doesn know a full screen mode. But AFAIK you can't activate
    it via a key, but you need to call xpdf with the -fullscreen parameter.

    > and is not able to handle animations like glitter etc. May be we could ignore the
    > later one for the moment

    I don't agree. Although I hate those animated transistations between
    two fouils, we might want to use them in eyecatcher. Movements might
    catch the eyes of passers-by better than just exchanging slides.

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexander

  12. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    Moin!

    * cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) [050109 12:48]:

    > both kghostview and kpdf do fullscreen, no idea about the animations

    Can they loop through pdf documents?

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexander

  13. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    Hi!

    * W. Borgert [050109 12:18]:
    > > But this is no problem of latex-beamer ...

    > How about using HTML (with a lot of ugly ECMAscript) and
    > Firefox in full screen as viewer?
    >
    > Cheers, WB
    >
    > Btw: I did some presentations using DocBook slides with HTML
    > output and Firefox (on Windows!) as viewer...

    The curent status is the following:

    We have a prototype (with some dirty hacks, but it works), which is easy
    to translate to other languages.

    Changes are easy to track, since everything are text files.

    You can embed nearly everything - speach, videos, movies, event
    mathematical formulas in Tex.

    It loops through different languages (which you can choose - if you
    don't like it at all, it just loops through your prefered language).

    It does all this unattended.

    If a visitor has a question to a specific slide, you can stop it (well,
    you can break it via +) and call the presentation without the
    loop function, and discuss the visitors questions withouth pressing the
    back button of your browser every time the presention proceeds.

    It works on nearly every plattform debian supports, even hurd.

    To the best of my knowledgy, every solution proposed, be it
    OpenOffice.org, slides as PDF-dokuments (created in various ways), or
    HTML Dokuments will solve some ugliness of the current mgp solution, but
    will create other ones.

    Please correct me, if I'm wrong, and you can indeed do all this with one
    of the proposed solutions.

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexander

  14. Re: Debian "eyecatcher" Project

    On Sunday 09 January 2005 17:19, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
    > Moin!
    >
    > * cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) [050109 12:48]:
    > > both kghostview and kpdf do fullscreen, no idea about the animations

    > Can they loop through pdf documents?

    current version apperently doesn't, kpdf cvs-version does [1] (since a
    couple of weeks)

    [1] http://cvs-digest.org/index.php?issue=dec242004
    --
    Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)