Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages - Debian

This is a discussion on Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages - Debian ; Hi. The information at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#install seems rather outdated. Perhaps someone could prepare an updated entry? (This hasn't to be a direct patch for the WML, the text and links would suffice) Gruesse, -- Frank Lichtenheld www: http://www.djpig.de/ -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, ...

  1. Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    --
    Frank Lichtenheld
    www: http://www.djpig.de/

  2. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    On Sunday 02 January 2005 00:10, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
    > The information at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#install
    > seems rather outdated. Perhaps someone could prepare an updated
    > entry? (This hasn't to be a direct patch for the WML, the text and
    > links would suffice)

    Thanks for drawing our attention to this!

    Below the current and a proposal for the new text.

    Joeyh: Can you please check.

    Cheers,
    FJP

    =============================== OLD TEXT ===============================
    Debian Installation Manual
    Installation instructions for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.

    Authors:
    Bruce Perens, Sven Rudolph, Igor Grobman, James Treacy, Adam Di Carlo

    Maintainer:
    Adam Di Carlo, Chris Tillman

    with non-x86 installation and non-English language versions; please
    volunteer, this is very important to Debian. Contact
    debian-boot@lists.debian.org for more information.

    Availability:
    Released version
    Also available at
    ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/stable/disks-*/current/install.html
    Also available in the Debian package install-doc

    CVS sources working copy: set CVSROOT
    to :ext:userid@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot, and check out the
    boot-floppies/documentation module.

    CVS via web
    =============================== OLD TEXT ===============================

    ========================== PROPOSED NEW TEXT ===========================
    Debian Installation Manual

    Installation instructions for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.
    The manual describes the installation process using the Debian Installer,
    the installation system for Debian that was first released with Sarge
    (3.1).
    If you are looking for the manual that describes the previous installation
    system ("boot-floppies"), please refer to the release pages for Woody
    (3.0).

    Authors:
    the Debian Installer team

    Maintainer:
    the Debian Installer team

    and future Debian releases. Help is welcome, especially with non-x86
    installation and translations.
    Contact debian-boot@lists.debian.org for more information.

    Availability:
    Released version
    Development version available at http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/
    Also available in the Debian package debian-installer-manual

    SVN sources working copy (anonymous checkout):
    svn co svn://svn.d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk \
    debian-installer/installer/doc

    SVN via web:
    http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk...al/?rev=0&sc=0
    ========================== PROPOSED NEW TEXT ===========================

    Notes for the proposed new text:
    - I've set Authors and Maintainer to D-I team as that was also done for
    the manual itself during last Oldenburg meeting.
    - d-i.alioth.debian.org may have to be changed because of the move to
    costa. Not sure what will happen with DNS in that move.
    - Maybe the 'svn co' command can be presented as one line.

  3. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    On Sunday 09 January 2005 22:47, Frans Pop wrote:
    > ======================== PROPOSED NEW TEXT ==========================
    > Debian Installation Manual

    I just see that it would be better to use "Debian Installation Guide"
    here.

  4. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:47:13PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Sunday 02 January 2005 00:10, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
    > > The information at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#install
    > > seems rather outdated. Perhaps someone could prepare an updated
    > > entry? (This hasn't to be a direct patch for the WML, the text and
    > > links would suffice)

    > Thanks for drawing our attention to this!
    >
    > Below the current and a proposal for the new text.
    >
    > Joeyh: Can you please check.

    I've added this information but restructured it a bit. It should be
    available in the next webwml run so please verify it in 6-8 hours.

    Regards

    Javier

  5. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    On Monday 10 January 2005 11:35, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
    > I've added this information but restructured it a bit. It should be
    > available in the next webwml run so please verify it in 6-8 hours.

    Thanks for doing the update Javier.

    I see you left the info for Woody's manual. I can see the benefits of
    that, especially as Sarge has not yet been released.
    However, it makes the introductory paragraph not fit with what follows; it
    also makes the links included in the introduction redundant.

    IMHO it would be better to remove the info for Woody, especially as that
    version of the manual is no longer maintained.
    The info on "CVS sources working copy" and for Woody should
    be removed in any case. Both are obsolete. I have no idea if a source
    version of Woody's manual is still available anywhere.

    Some minor remarks:
    - The title we use for the manual is "Debian Installation Guide"
    ^^^^^
    - Would it be possible to have a
    after "Anonymous checkout:"?
    That would increase the chance of the full svn co statement being shown
    on one line
    - Would it be possible to make the Web interface link into a proper
    clickable link?

    TIA,
    Frans Pop

  6. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:12:06PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Monday 10 January 2005 11:35, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
    > > I've added this information but restructured it a bit. It should be
    > > available in the next webwml run so please verify it in 6-8 hours.

    > Thanks for doing the update Javier.
    >
    > I see you left the info for Woody's manual. I can see the benefits of
    > that, especially as Sarge has not yet been released.
    > However, it makes the introductory paragraph not fit with what follows; it
    > also makes the links included in the introduction redundant.

    Then we could split that information in two. Have a "Debian installation
    Guide" and then a "Debian Installation Manual"

    > IMHO it would be better to remove the info for Woody, especially as that
    > version of the manual is no longer maintained.

    Even if it's not maintained, users might still be looking for it.

    > The info on "CVS sources working copy" and for Woody should
    > be removed in any case. Both are obsolete. I have no idea if a source
    > version of Woody's manual is still available anywhere.

    You are right. It does not work, seems it was moved over somewhere else.

    > Some minor remarks:
    > - The title we use for the manual is "Debian Installation Guide"
    > ^^^^^

    Fixed.

    > - Would it be possible to have a
    after "Anonymous checkout:"?
    > That would increase the chance of the full svn co statement being shown
    > on one line

    Done.

    > - Would it be possible to make the Web interface link into a proper
    > clickable link?

    Done.

    > TIA,

    I've commited the changes, please review the web pages. There are still
    some things that need to be changed, but it looks better now IMHO.

    Regards

    Javier

  7. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

    On Wednesday 12 January 2005 11:46, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
    > Then we could split that information in two. Have a "Debian
    > installation Guide" and then a "Debian Installation Manual"

    [...]
    > I've commited the changes, please review the web pages. There are still
    > some things that need to be changed, but it looks better now IMHO.

    Just checked again today. I agree that this looks better and IMO this
    should work until Sarge is released.

    Some more minor changes.

    For the new Installation Guide:
    - After 'Authors:': s/Team/team/

    For the old Installation Manual:
    - There is a '.' missing at the end of the introductory paragraph.

    Cheers,
    Frans Pop

  8. Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages