Introduction... - Debian

This is a discussion on Introduction... - Debian ; Hello, I am John Hornbeck. I work on the Ubuntu Documentation core team and would like to help out with Debian docs. I feel that if we are going to be using alot of Debian items in Ubuntu that we ...

  1. Introduction...

    Hello, I am John Hornbeck. I work on the Ubuntu Documentation core
    team and would like to help out with Debian docs. I feel that if we are
    going to be using alot of Debian items in Ubuntu that we need to fully
    extend the help back to Debian. I am free to help with what ever docs
    are in need of help and happy to help anyone who would like me to help
    them. Please just let me know where I could be used and I will get
    started. I am familiar with DocBook and learning ReST. Hope that I can
    help out, and help bring alot of the Ubuntu docs back to Debian.
    --
    John Hornbeck
    http://hornbeck.freeshell.org/blogger -site is dead right now.

  2. Re: Introduction...

    On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 08:23:14PM -0600, John Hornbeck wrote:
    > Hello, I am John Hornbeck. I work on the Ubuntu Documentation core
    > team and would like to help out with Debian docs. I feel that if we are
    > going to be using alot of Debian items in Ubuntu that we need to fully
    > extend the help back to Debian. I am free to help with what ever docs

    That's great, I'm glad to hear it.

    > are in need of help and happy to help anyone who would like me to help
    > them. Please just let me know where I could be used and I will get
    > started. I am familiar with DocBook and learning ReST. Hope that I can
    > help out, and help bring alot of the Ubuntu docs back to Debian.

    Well, you could probably "be used" in a lot of documents which are in need
    of help. You can just browse http://www.debian.org/doc/ or the CVS
    repository (cvs.debian.org, debian-doc CVSROOT) to get a feeling of which
    documents are in need of help. Developer's manuals probably don't need to
    much help, but user oriented documentation does. Specially, afaik,
    administration oriented manuals.

    Most documentation in Debian is currently, however, written in
    debiandoc-sgml (shouldn't be an issue to you, but just to let you know).

    As an aside, one thing I've always wondered is which documents are actually
    being used. That's something we have not investigated and it would be great
    if someone could dig into the web log statistics (of both the main www site
    and mirrors) and could tell us: people are mainly using the following
    documents X, Y and Z. Documents are also distributed as Debian packages, so
    the popularity-contest data might be useful as well.

    Finally, the "Debian Documentation Policy" document (that should replace
    http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy) is currently stalled. A lot of
    help is needed to finish it and provide it to developers and documentation
    writers as a guideline of how documentation should be provided within
    Debian. Actually, there are a number of TODOs related to the project and
    available at http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp which nobody is currently
    working on (again, afaik).

    Hopefully that will get you (and others willing to contribute which are
    currently lurking in the list) started :-)

    Regards

    Javier

  3. Re: Introduction...

    On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 11:01 +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
    > On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 08:23:14PM -0600, John Hornbeck wrote:
    > > Hello, I am John Hornbeck. I work on the Ubuntu Documentation core
    > > team and would like to help out with Debian docs. I feel that if we are
    > > going to be using alot of Debian items in Ubuntu that we need to fully
    > > extend the help back to Debian. I am free to help with what ever docs

    > That's great, I'm glad to hear it.
    >
    > > are in need of help and happy to help anyone who would like me to help
    > > them. Please just let me know where I could be used and I will get
    > > started. I am familiar with DocBook and learning ReST. Hope that I can
    > > help out, and help bring alot of the Ubuntu docs back to Debian.

    > Well, you could probably "be used" in a lot of documents which are in need
    > of help. You can just browse http://www.debian.org/doc/ or the CVS
    > repository (cvs.debian.org, debian-doc CVSROOT) to get a feeling of which
    > documents are in need of help. Developer's manuals probably don't need to
    > much help, but user oriented documentation does. Specially, afaik,
    > administration oriented manuals.
    >
    > Most documentation in Debian is currently, however, written in
    > debiandoc-sgml (shouldn't be an issue to you, but just to let you know).
    >
    > As an aside, one thing I've always wondered is which documents are actually
    > being used. That's something we have not investigated and it would be great
    > if someone could dig into the web log statistics (of both the main www site
    > and mirrors) and could tell us: people are mainly using the following
    > documents X, Y and Z. Documents are also distributed as Debian packages, so
    > the popularity-contest data might be useful as well.
    >
    > Finally, the "Debian Documentation Policy" document (that should replace
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy) is currently stalled. A lot of
    > help is needed to finish it and provide it to developers and documentation
    > writers as a guideline of how documentation should be provided within
    > Debian. Actually, there are a number of TODOs related to the project and
    > available at http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp which nobody is currently
    > working on (again, afaik).
    >
    > Hopefully that will get you (and others willing to contribute which are
    > currently lurking in the list) started :-)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Javier

    Thanks I will start looking into those. Do I just send patches to the
    list? Let me know,

    --
    John Hornbeck
    http://hornbeck.freeshell.org/blogger

  4. Re: Introduction...

    > Thanks I will start looking into those. Do I just send patches to the
    > list? Let me know,

    Sure, if you want to change the webpages (or add information to them) you
    must checkout the webwml CVS. For any other stuff provide patches against
    the current sources here for review. Or bring up issues you feel should be
    discussed before being modified.

    Thanks

    Javier

+ Reply to Thread