Introductions, etc - Debian

This is a discussion on Introductions, etc - Debian ; Hello all -- I'm interested in finding a way in which I can give back to the community. I've been using GNU\Linux for several years now and having settled on Debian as my distro of choice, I decided it was ...

  1. Introductions, etc

    Hello all -- I'm interested in finding a way in which I can give back to
    the community. I've been using GNU\Linux for several years now and
    having settled on Debian as my distro of choice, I decided it was time
    to offer my assistance.

    I'm not a hacker so unless the Debian community is interested in
    introducing very poorly written code into Debian then I'm not of any use
    there. I am fairly technically literate (my day job is as a SysAdmin)
    and my degree is in English Lit, so it seems that I am a perfect fit for
    the documentation project. So, I'm asking if I can help out and how?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    ------------------------------------

    Chris Teodorski
    Mahoning County Ohio
    cteodorski@mahoningcountyoh.gov

    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them WHAT to do and they will
    surprise you with their ingenuity"
    --Gen. George S. Patton

  2. Re: Introductions, etc

    Chris Teodorski wrote on debian-doc@lists.debian.org,

    > Hello all -- I'm interested in finding a way in which I can give back to
    > the community. I've been using GNU\Linux for several years now and
    > having settled on Debian as my distro of choice, I decided it was time
    > to offer my assistance.
    >
    > I'm not a hacker so unless the Debian community is interested in
    > introducing very poorly written code into Debian then I'm not of any use
    > there. I am fairly technically literate (my day job is as a SysAdmin)
    > and my degree is in English Lit, so it seems that I am a perfect fit for
    > the documentation project. So, I'm asking if I can help out and how?

    Sometimes I wish that I had a degree in English Lit. Like you,
    documenting the system is also my principal Debian interest.

    Since twenty-four hours have passed and no one on debian-doc seems
    publicly to have spoken, I should refer you over to [1] and [2].
    Investigate; then, if you feel willing, able and interested to
    contribute there, introduce yourself on [2].

    --
    Thaddeus H. Black
    508 Nellie's Cave Road

    1. http://debtags.alioth.debian.org
    2. debtags-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

  3. Re: Introductions, etc

    On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:33:29PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
    > Chris Teodorski wrote on debian-doc@lists.debian.org,
    >
    > > Hello all -- I'm interested in finding a way in which I can give back to
    > > the community. I've been using GNU\Linux for several years now and
    > > having settled on Debian as my distro of choice, I decided it was time
    > > to offer my assistance.
    > >
    > > I'm not a hacker so unless the Debian community is interested in
    > > introducing very poorly written code into Debian then I'm not of any use
    > > there. I am fairly technically literate (my day job is as a SysAdmin)
    > > and my degree is in English Lit, so it seems that I am a perfect fit for
    > > the documentation project. So, I'm asking if I can help out and how?

    > Sometimes I wish that I had a degree in English Lit. Like you,
    > documenting the system is also my principal Debian interest.
    >
    > Since twenty-four hours have passed and no one on debian-doc seems
    > publicly to have spoken, I should refer you over to [1] and [2].
    > Investigate; then, if you feel willing, able and interested to
    > contribute there, introduce yourself on [2].
    >
    > --
    > Thaddeus H. Black
    > 508 Nellie's Cave Road
    > Blacksburg, Virginia 24060, USA
    > +1 540 961 0920, t@b-tk.org
    >
    > 1. http://debtags.alioth.debian.org
    > 2. debtags-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

    The best way is to fix bug in the existing documentation. I am not
    native speaker and struggling with English (and all other translation to
    be in sync.)

    One thing is for sure with volumteer project like Debian. No one will
    handhold everystep of yours. You need to contribute and make others
    feel your contribution helps their contribution. Then collaboration
    starts.

    Cheers,

    Osamu

    Osamu Aoki Brussels Belgium, GPG-key: A8061F32
    .''`. Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
    : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
    `. `' "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract

  4. Re: Introductions, etc

    On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 08:57:48AM -0400, Teodorski, Chris wrote:
    > I'm not a hacker so unless the Debian community is interested in
    > introducing very poorly written code into Debian then I'm not of any use
    > there. I am fairly technically literate (my day job is as a SysAdmin)
    > and my degree is in English Lit, so it seems that I am a perfect fit for
    > the documentation project. So, I'm asking if I can help out and how?

    There's actually a lot of things you can do to help the documentation
    project. Basicly it all boils down to:

    1.- Improve existing documentation
    2.- Write new documentation

    The first thing is rather easy, pick your document of choice from the list
    of available and finished documents, go through it and send patches
    improving either wording (a lot of documentation has been written by
    non-native english speaking people like myself) or content.

    The second one is more cumbersome, you actually have to determine which
    document you would find of value and it's not currently available (or is
    stalled and needs to be worked on). That's actually what Osamu did when he
    started the "Debian Quick Reference" guide or what I did when I started
    working on the "Debian Security Manual" basing my work in Alexander's
    HOWTO.

    The documentation project is currently without a "project manager" of
    sorts, so there's also a lot of work to be done in writting a proper policy
    [1] and, even, small HOWTOs on how people can contribute new documentation
    (or patches) to the project :-)

    Regards

    Javier

    [1] See http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy