Release Notes available for translation - Debian

This is a discussion on Release Notes available for translation - Debian ; I do hope this reaches all the eager translators who have in the past expressed interest in translating the release notes for sarge, only to have been disappointed at the lack of an original English version. Sorry, but there are ...

  1. Release Notes available for translation

    I do hope this reaches all the eager translators who have in the past
    expressed interest in translating the release notes for sarge, only to
    have been disappointed at the lack of an original English version.

    Sorry, but there are more important things in this world, picking
    flowers on a bright summer's day for instance.

    But i'm pleased to announce that a lot of the work on the release notes
    is now complete. Currently i'm waiting for the release notes to be built
    into the debian www tree (it may take some time as i only asked today,
    oops and available at w.d.o/r/sarge. Once thats done I plan to
    announce their availability on d-d-a so that i can get feedback on these
    changes, especially for arch specific things.

    So translators: ready, stead go...

    Cheers,

    Rob
    --
    Rob 'robster' Bradford
    http://robster.org.uk

  2. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    (CC'ing d-boot; however, I propose to keep the discussion on d-doc.)

    IMHO a call for translation of the Release Notes is a bit premature.

    I have just downloaded the latest English version from [1] with the
    intention of starting a Dutch translation.
    A quick scan gave me the impression that the main text of the release notes
    still refers more to Woody than to Sarge. At the bottom of the mail I have
    copied some examples of this.
    I seems a shame to start a new translation while a significant part of the
    text needs rewriting.

    Besides that general point, I have some observations and suggestions.
    - - PowerPC will be installed with kernel 2.6.8 by default.
    - - The alternative kernel for i386 will be 2.6.8 (not 2.6.7).
    - - Have the update instructions been checked for an update from
    Woody to Sarge? What package tool is preferred for the upgrade:
    apt-get, dselect (don't think so), aptitude?
    - - I think something i386 support in Sarge should be mentioned.
    - - Would it be possible to split of the lists of old/new/etc. packages
    from the main en.sgml file and include the lists only at build time?
    This would make things a lot easier for translators.

    Note: This mail is not intended to put down the work that has been done on
    the RN, it is greatly appreciated. However, I am concerned about the state
    of the RN now that the release of Sarge is approaching.

    [1] http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sg...ease-notes/en/
    release-notes.en.sgml?only_with_tag=sarge&cvsroot=debian-doc
    (version 1.1.2.9)

    Cheers,
    FJP

    Selection of paragraphs that seem to refer to Woody and not Sarge

    The 2.2 kernel series has been updated and developed extensively introducing
    several valuable changes both in the kernel and in other programs based on
    kernel features, along with a whole slew of new hardware drivers and bug
    fixes for existing drivers.

    A 2.4 kernel is also included in this release for optional installation by
    users. Although the 2.4 branch is considered by the kernel developers to be
    a stable kernel branch, the &debian; release team judged it not to have
    reached sufficient maturity for inclusion as the default kernel in this
    release.

    The new debootstrap tool downloads, unpacks and extracts
    &debian; packages for the base system installation. This is an improvement
    over the previous installation system which used a tarball containing the
    base system. The installation base system can be updated more dynamically
    with this system.

    The task system has been revamped. Tasks in the previous release consisted
    of meta packages (packages which are simply collections of other packages).
    The new system uses special headers within the existing package system to
    designate any tasks to which each package may belong.
    This allows greater selection of tasks and it is much easier to only install
    selected components of tasks, instead of the whole thing.

    Kernel images are available in various \"flavors\". These flavors each
    support a different set of hardware. The flavors available in &debian;
    &release; for &arch-title; are:

    speakup flavor>

    At install time, the kernel used is &kernelversion;, however a 2.4 kernel,
    the latest stable branch is included for those who wish to benefit from it.

    The Debian package management tools apt and dpkg have been improved
    considerably in this release. Now apt supports \"pinning\" in which the user
    can opt to download certain packages from different distributions, e.g.
    testing or unstable, while still keeping the bulk of packages in the stable
    distribution. APT will automagically download and install appropriate
    dependent packages from the advanced distribution as required. An \"&url-apt-pin-howto;\" name='APT \"pinning\" howto'> is available.

    This release of &debian; contains the much improved XFree86 4.1 release,
    which includes support for a greater range of hardware, better autodetection
    support, and improved support for advanced technologies such as Xinerama and
    3D acceleration. XFree86 3.3.6 is available as an option, to support older
    hardware that is not supported by XFree86 4.1.

    For the first time, &debian; includes several full featured free graphical
    web browsers in the form of Mozilla, Galeon and Konqueror. With the
    inclusion of KDE 2.2 for the first time, as well as the new GNOME 1.4
    release, Debian's desktop provision has been radically improved.

    The version of m4 in woody does not run on Linux kernels from the 2.0
    series. It is therefore strongly recommended that users of sendmail upgrade
    to a 2.2 series or better Linux kernel before proceeding with the upgrade.

  3. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:05:14PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

    > (CC'ing d-boot; however, I propose to keep the discussion on d-doc.)
    >
    > IMHO a call for translation of the Release Notes is a bit premature.
    >
    > I have just downloaded the latest English version from [1] with the
    > intention of starting a Dutch translation.
    > A quick scan gave me the impression that the main text of the release notes
    > still refers more to Woody than to Sarge. At the bottom of the mail I have
    > copied some examples of this.
    > I seems a shame to start a new translation while a significant part of the
    > text needs rewriting.

    Oh. Now thats interesting, i made some significant changes to the
    release notes. For instance the sections on using dselect and apt-get
    were both replaced with a single version documenting aptitude. You'd be
    suprised how much of this document goes back to potato and before.

    > Besides that general point, I have some observations and suggestions.
    > - - PowerPC will be installed with kernel 2.6.8 by default.

    No one had been able to give me a straight answer on this. Thanks for
    letting me know.

    > - - The alternative kernel for i386 will be 2.6.8 (not 2.6.7).

    When i checked the package database the other day i thought i only saw
    2.6.7 available for testing.

    Both the above are now being fixed.

    > - - Have the update instructions been checked for an update from
    > Woody to Sarge? What package tool is preferred for the upgrade:
    > apt-get, dselect (don't think so), aptitude?

    Aptitude. See above, i have tested that. However unfortunately some
    packages have broken dependencies right now that need to be resolved.

    > - - I think something i386 support in Sarge should be mentioned.

    Sorry? I dont quite follow what this point is

    > - - Would it be possible to split of the lists of old/new/etc. packages
    > from the main en.sgml file and include the lists only at build time?
    > This would make things a lot easier for translators.

    IMHO, I dont really want it in there, but someone did the work to put it
    in last time and I spent a helluvalot of time trying to generate that
    stuff sensibly this time.

    > Note: This mail is not intended to put down the work that has been done on
    > the RN, it is greatly appreciated. However, I am concerned about the state
    > of the RN now that the release of Sarge is approaching.

    My opinion is that getting the document translations updated (and also
    available on the website, which i'm trying to get done) will allow many
    more eyes to see this.

    > Selection of paragraphs that seem to refer to Woody and not Sarge
    > ================================================== ===============
    >
    > The 2.2 kernel series has been updated and developed extensively introducing
    > several valuable changes both in the kernel and in other programs based on
    > kernel features, along with a whole slew of new hardware drivers and bug
    > fixes for existing drivers.

    I couldnt find that in the sarge branch.

    > A 2.4 kernel is also included in this release for optional installation by
    > users. Although the 2.4 branch is considered by the kernel developers to be
    > a stable kernel branch, the &debian; release team judged it not to have
    > reached sufficient maturity for inclusion as the default kernel in this
    > release.

    Nor this

    > The new debootstrap tool downloads, unpacks and extracts
    > &debian; packages for the base system installation. This is an improvement
    > over the previous installation system which used a tarball containing the
    > base system. The installation base system can be updated more dynamically
    > with this system.

    Nor this.

    > The task system has been revamped. Tasks in the previous release consisted
    > of meta packages (packages which are simply collections of other packages).
    > The new system uses special headers within the existing package system to
    > designate any tasks to which each package may belong.
    > This allows greater selection of tasks and it is much easier to only install
    > selected components of tasks, instead of the whole thing.

    Nor this.

    > Kernel images are available in various \"flavors\". These flavors each
    > support a different set of hardware. The flavors available in &debian;
    > &release; for &arch-title; are:
    >
    > > speakup flavor>

    This was updated for i386.

    > At install time, the kernel used is &kernelversion;, however a 2.4 kernel,
    > the latest stable branch is included for those who wish to benefit from it.

    Nor this

    > The Debian package management tools apt and dpkg have been improved
    > considerably in this release. Now apt supports \"pinning\" in which the user
    > can opt to download certain packages from different distributions, e.g.
    > testing or unstable, while still keeping the bulk of packages in the stable
    > distribution. APT will automagically download and install appropriate
    > dependent packages from the advanced distribution as required. An > \"&url-apt-pin-howto;\" name='APT \"pinning\" howto'> is available.

    Nor this.

    > This release of &debian; contains the much improved XFree86 4.1 release,
    > which includes support for a greater range of hardware, better autodetection
    > support, and improved support for advanced technologies such as Xinerama and
    > 3D acceleration. XFree86 3.3.6 is available as an option, to support older
    > hardware that is not supported by XFree86 4.1.

    Nor this.

    > For the first time, &debian; includes several full featured free graphical
    > web browsers in the form of Mozilla, Galeon and Konqueror. With the
    > inclusion of KDE 2.2 for the first time, as well as the new GNOME 1.4
    > release, Debian's desktop provision has been radically improved.

    Nor this.

    > The version of m4 in woody does not run on Linux kernels from the 2.0
    > series. It is therefore strongly recommended that users of sendmail upgrade
    > to a 2.2 series or better Linux kernel before proceeding with the upgrade.

    Nor this.

    Some how you're not looking at the sarge branch there. I followed your
    link, and that looked fine but you musnt choose to download HEAD. As
    that currently has the woody version.

    Cheers,

    Rob

    --
    Rob Bradford - http://robster.org.uk

  4. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    On Thursday 16 September 2004 23:29, Rob Bradford wrote:
    > Some how you're not looking at the sarge branch there. I followed your
    > link, and that looked fine but you musnt choose to download HEAD. As
    > that currently has the woody version.

    Hello Rob,

    Please allow me to apologize profusely.
    /me apologizes profusely

    My mail was completely due to me downloading the wrong version somehow. The
    weird thing is that it happened to me two times, and I can't figure out
    where I went wrong.

    Anyway, I've got the correct version now and will happily start translating.

    I'm very sorry for the noise.

    Frans

    > > - - I think something i386 support in Sarge should be mentioned.

    > Sorry? I dont quite follow what this point is

    Again sorry, I now see I didn't write what I intended.
    As I understand it, the kernel does not really support the 'original' Intel
    386 processor any more, but some kind of emulation has been added so it can
    be made to work. I also understand [1] that migration from Woody to Sarge
    will not be straightforward because of this.
    It could be worthwhile to add a paragraph explaining this and instructions
    on how to migrate on a 386 box in the RN.

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-relea.../msg00146.html

    > > - - Would it be possible to split of the lists of old/new/etc. packages
    > > * from the main en.sgml file and include the lists only at build time?
    > > * This would make things a lot easier for translators.

    > IMHO, I dont really want it in there, but someone did the work to put it
    > in last time and I spent a helluvalot of time trying to generate that
    > stuff sensibly this time.

    I did not mean to drop the lists from the Release Notes. Just to not include
    them in the release-notes.en.sgml file. As these lists do not need to be
    translated, they only distract translators if they are included in the main
    document.
    It should be possible to put these lists in separate documents (together
    with their tags) in the same directory as release-notes.ent,
    include a reference to these files in release-notes.en.sgml (and
    translations), and have the lists automagically included in the finished
    doc at build time.

  5. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    > Anyway, I've got the correct version now and will happily start translating.

    Could you post a note in -i18n also about this RN translation*?

    I don't follow -doc, so I'm not sure about the place this document is
    (in the Web site CVS or elsechere) but anyway, having this translation
    be a priority for i18n teams is very likely (as likely as the
    installation manual translation, for sure).

  6. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:29:09PM +0100, Rob Bradford wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:05:14PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > >
    > > (CC'ing d-boot; however, I propose to keep the discussion on d-doc.)
    > >
    > > IMHO a call for translation of the Release Notes is a bit premature.
    > >
    > > I have just downloaded the latest English version from [1] with the
    > > intention of starting a Dutch translation.
    > > A quick scan gave me the impression that the main text of the release notes
    > > still refers more to Woody than to Sarge. At the bottom of the mail I have
    > > copied some examples of this.
    > > I seems a shame to start a new translation while a significant part of the
    > > text needs rewriting.

    > Oh. Now thats interesting, i made some significant changes to the
    > release notes. For instance the sections on using dselect and apt-get
    > were both replaced with a single version documenting aptitude. You'd be
    > suprised how much of this document goes back to potato and before.
    >
    > > Besides that general point, I have some observations and suggestions.
    > > - - PowerPC will be installed with kernel 2.6.8 by default.

    > No one had been able to give me a straight answer on this. Thanks for
    > letting me know.

    Bah, you obviously didn't follow this clear enough We switched to 2.6 kernels
    by default on powerpc even prior to RC1 i think. Only oldworld miboot floppies
    are still problematic. apus is being dropped though, so this should make it in
    the Release Notes i think. I believe there where something like 3 users left,
    and the kernels in sarge probably didn't work on apus anyway.

    Maybe it would be worth mentioning full support for the Pegasos boards, since
    this is new previously unsupported hardware ? G5 pmacs and power3/4 hardware
    where also not supported by woody, i think.

    > > - - The alternative kernel for i386 will be 2.6.8 (not 2.6.7).

    > When i checked the package database the other day i thought i only saw
    > 2.6.7 available for testing.
    >
    > Both the above are now being fixed.

    On all arches, sarge will release with 2.4.27 as a 2.4 kernel and 2.6.8 as a
    2.6 kernel on the arches which support it. All will default to 2.4 except
    powerpc. There is at least m68k still using 2.2 kernels.

    Friendly,

    Sven Luther

  7. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    Hmm, shouldn't sarge be on head, not a branch? Anyway, after getting it
    checked out I had a read through.

    - the speakup images have just been reorganised now, so there are now
    two driver disk images, one for CD and one for network installs
    - the path to the installation manual on the mirrors has changed from
    /dists/sarge/main/disks-i386/current/doc/install.txt to
    /dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/doc/manual//index.html
    (With being en or whatever)
    - I think it would be best to avoid the use of the term "componentized"
    given what progeny is doing with/to that term. s/componentized/modular/.
    - 4.3. says that the recommended upgrade method is dselect with apt,
    while 4.4 talks about upgrading with aptitude.

    If you're looking for more new features to mention, a few in d-i
    include:

    - automatic detection of hardware
    - support for automated installations by debconf database preseeding
    - grub as the default bootloader (i386)
    - automatic detection of other operating systems installed on your
    computer, and addition of these to the boot menu (i386, powerpc)
    - support for resizing fat and vfat filesystems (but not ntfs) (i386)
    - DVD images of debian
    - localised to xxx languages (see our release announcments for numbers;
    I forget how many languages the boot floppies were localised to)

    --
    see shy jo

  8. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    Joey Hess wrote:
    > - localised to xxx languages (see our release announcments for numbers;
    > I forget how many languages the boot floppies were localised to)

    From this email from Christian Perrier [1] :

    "...(of course, besides the languages below, we currently have 40
    already supported languages (>50% translation ratio))..."

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/.../msg00026.html

  9. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    Hello,

    On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:48:32PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > Hmm, shouldn't sarge be on head, not a branch? Anyway, after getting it
    > checked out I had a read through.
    >
    > - the speakup images have just been reorganised now, so there are now
    > two driver disk images, one for CD and one for network installs
    > - the path to the installation manual on the mirrors has changed from
    > /dists/sarge/main/disks-i386/current/doc/install.txt to
    > /dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/doc/manual//index.html
    > (With being en or whatever)
    > - I think it would be best to avoid the use of the term "componentized"
    > given what progeny is doing with/to that term. s/componentized/modular/.
    > - 4.3. says that the recommended upgrade method is dselect with apt,
    > while 4.4 talks about upgrading with aptitude.
    >
    > If you're looking for more new features to mention, a few in d-i
    > include:
    >
    > - automatic detection of hardware
    > - support for automated installations by debconf database preseeding
    > - grub as the default bootloader (i386)
    > - automatic detection of other operating systems installed on your
    > computer, and addition of these to the boot menu (i386, powerpc)
    > - support for resizing fat and vfat filesystems (but not ntfs) (i386)
    > - DVD images of debian
    > - localised to xxx languages (see our release announcments for numbers;
    > I forget how many languages the boot floppies were localised to)

    Also, worth of mentioning is :

    - support for RAID and LVM in the installer

    This one is a huge advance from boot-floppies and lots of people were
    asking for this.

    --
    ++----------------------------------------------------------------------++
    || André Luís Lopes andrelop@debian.org ||

  10. Re: Release Notes available for translation

    On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:48:32PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > Hmm, shouldn't sarge be on head, not a branch? Anyway, after getting it
    > checked out I had a read through.

    I'm currently waiting for the script that produces the release notes for
    the website to be changed to use the woody branch, rather than head.
    Once that has happened i'll merge these down to head, removing the
    branch.

    I'll respond to the rest of you email under separate cover, if
    necessary.

    Cheers,

    Rob
    --