Debian Packages how-to - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian Packages how-to - Debian ; As a new Debian user, I had no problems finding http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and using its search engine to find the latest and greatest stuff. However, short of downloading .debs with a web browser and double-clicking them to open KPackage, I can't ...

  1. Debian Packages how-to

    As a new Debian user, I had no problems finding
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and using its
    search engine to find the latest and greatest stuff.
    However, short of downloading .debs with a web browser
    and double-clicking them to open KPackage, I can't
    seem to get to the packages. I really wish the
    /packages page had a good Synaptic/apt-get tutorial
    (or easy-to-find link) that shows:

    How to open Synaptic and the Repositories screen
    A list of mirrors of official and unofficial servers
    (i.e. what goes in URI)
    What goes in the Distribution and Section boxes
    What Vendors... does
    How all this maps to the apt-get config files

    An example of a non-trivial (?) package to retrieve is
    the (non-free) graphviz package from ATT labs. No
    combination of debian/pool/non-free/g for Distribution
    seems to do the trick!

    I suspect there is a very good resource out there for
    setting up synaptic, but I just can't find it. And I
    believe that debian.org/distrib/packages should do all
    it can to help new users get started with package
    installation.

    Thanks,
    Brent Schartung

  2. Re: Debian Packages how-to

    Whats that ??? I have gotten this Message several times month ago...

    --
    Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/

  3. Re: Debian Packages how-to

    Michelle Konzack wrote:

    >Whats that ??? I have gotten this Message several times month ago...
    >

    >Am 2004-04-05 21:53:49, schrieb Brent Schartung:
    >

    >>As a new Debian user, I had no problems finding
    >>http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and using its
    >>search engine to find the latest and greatest stuff.
    >>However, short of downloading .debs with a web browser
    >>and double-clicking them to open KPackage, I can't
    >>seem to get to the packages. I really wish the
    >>/packages page had a good Synaptic/apt-get tutorial
    >>(or easy-to-find link) that shows:
    >>
    >>How to open Synaptic and the Repositories screen
    >>A list of mirrors of official and unofficial servers
    >>(i.e. what goes in URI)
    >>What goes in the Distribution and Section boxes
    >>What Vendors... does
    >>How all this maps to the apt-get config files
    >>
    >>An example of a non-trivial (?) package to retrieve is
    >>the (non-free) graphviz package from ATT labs. No
    >>combination of debian/pool/non-free/g for Distribution
    >>seems to do the trick!
    >>
    >>I suspect there is a very good resource out there for
    >>setting up synaptic, but I just can't find it. And I
    >>believe that debian.org/distrib/packages should do all
    >>it can to help new users get started with package
    >>installation.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Brent Schartung

    He comes across as a genuine newby, and not some AOL troll.
    There's no mail header, so I can't do it.
    Just reply with links to reportbug and apt-howto.
    Regards,

    David.