Copying whole hard disk. - Debian

This is a discussion on Copying whole hard disk. - Debian ; After some time spending on Debian, now it is time for me to switch to it as my daily OS. After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk), I like to have the whole system copied to another ...

  1. Copying whole hard disk.

    After some time spending on Debian, now it is
    time for me to switch to it as my daily OS.
    After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk),
    I like to have the whole system copied to another
    HDisk which also contains windows.
    Is this possible, how do I do that?

    Thanks,

    Edmund

  2. Re: Copying whole hard disk.

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:12:18 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > After some time spending on Debian, now it is
    > time for me to switch to it as my daily OS.
    > After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk),
    > I like to have the whole system copied to another
    > HDisk which also contains windows.
    > Is this possible, how do I do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Edmund

    I assume that you mean to move it to the same disk which ms occupies and
    run it from there. You will have to:

    1) resize partitions on your main drive to make room. Easiest to do this
    with gparted from a Live CD.

    2) set up the partitions on the main drive - again, gparted from a Live CD.

    3) copy your partitions (except swap) to the new drive. You can do this
    from a Live CD assuming both drives are available at the same time. You
    can also do this using partimage from a Live CD if you only have one drive
    at a time in the system provided you have an external drive - like an
    external USB hard drive or USB flash drive. You would use partimage to
    backup and then to restore to the new drive. If both drives are available
    you can use dd or rsync - and probably some other tools.

    4) you will have to install grub (or some other boot loader) to the MBR
    and have it point to the new partition - or use the ms loader - I'm not
    familiar with that.

    5) change the entry points in /etc/fstab to point to the new locations.

  3. Re: Copying whole hard disk.

    ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:12:18 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >

    >> After some time spending on Debian, now it is
    >> time for me to switch to it as my daily OS.
    >> After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk),
    >> I like to have the whole system copied to another
    >> HDisk which also contains windows.
    >> Is this possible, how do I do that?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Edmund

    > I assume that you mean to move it to the same disk which ms occupies and
    > run it from there. You will have to:
    >
    > 1) resize partitions on your main drive to make room. Easiest to do this
    > with gparted from a Live CD.
    >
    > 2) set up the partitions on the main drive - again, gparted from a Live
    > CD.
    >
    > 3) copy your partitions (except swap) to the new drive. You can do this
    > from a Live CD assuming both drives are available at the same time. You
    > can also do this using partimage from a Live CD if you only have one drive
    > at a time in the system provided you have an external drive - like an
    > external USB hard drive or USB flash drive. You would use partimage to
    > backup and then to restore to the new drive. If both drives are available
    > you can use dd or rsync - and probably some other tools.
    >
    > 4) you will have to install grub (or some other boot loader) to the MBR
    > and have it point to the new partition - or use the ms loader - I'm not
    > familiar with that.
    >
    > 5) change the entry points in /etc/fstab to point to the new locations.

    Partimage restore requires source and destination partitions be the same
    size. Use tar if the destination partition is larger.

  4. Re: Copying whole hard disk.

    Edmund wrote:
    > After some time spending on Debian, now it is
    > time for me to switch to it as my daily OS.
    > After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk),
    > I like to have the whole system copied to another
    > HDisk which also contains windows.
    > Is this possible, how do I do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Edmund

    When I see this and have access to the person's system, I do the thing
    with them, so they learn, and it is easier to fix any issues
    immediately. Less frustration. But, I also have support of a hug LUG.
    We have monthly Installfests.

    Linux Users Groups can be located in Google, or on
    http://lugww.counter.li.org or at http://Linux.org and search that
    website for LUGs. worldwide listings show about 700 LUGs.

    Another thought, and often done well, is to grab SuperGRUB and install
    it, http://freshmeat.net/projects/supergrub/
    after first putting your Debian drive as the second device on your IDE.

    Saves lots of effort, and problems.

    Install the second drive with the computer turned off.
    make sure jumpers are set on the drives for Master / Slave.

    Boot with the SuperGrub, and install it per the directions.

    Upon any boot, you should see the GRUB menu, and choose Windows or Linux
    for that session!

  5. Re: Copying whole hard disk.

    Edmund writes:

    >After some time spending on Debian, now it is
    >time for me to switch to it as my daily OS.
    >After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk),
    >I like to have the whole system copied to another
    >HDisk which also contains windows.
    >Is this possible, how do I do that?

    It is not clear what you are asking. Why copy it? Are the two disks on the
    same computer? There is no need to copy it. Just make a partition on the
    larger disk and mount that as some convenient place on your system ( /home,
    or /local)
    Please be clearer as to what it is that you want.

    >Thanks,

    >Edmund

  6. Re: Copying whole hard disk.

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:33:12 -0400, Roby wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:12:18 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >>

    >>> After some time spending on Debian, now it is
    >>> time for me to switch to it as my daily OS.
    >>> After all tweaks I have done (on a small Hdisk),
    >>> I like to have the whole system copied to another
    >>> HDisk which also contains windows.
    >>> Is this possible, how do I do that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Edmund

    >> I assume that you mean to move it to the same disk which ms occupies and
    >> run it from there. You will have to:
    >>
    >> 1) resize partitions on your main drive to make room. Easiest to do this
    >> with gparted from a Live CD.
    >>
    >> 2) set up the partitions on the main drive - again, gparted from a Live
    >> CD.
    >>
    >> 3) copy your partitions (except swap) to the new drive. You can do this
    >> from a Live CD assuming both drives are available at the same time. You
    >> can also do this using partimage from a Live CD if you only have one drive
    >> at a time in the system provided you have an external drive - like an
    >> external USB hard drive or USB flash drive. You would use partimage to
    >> backup and then to restore to the new drive. If both drives are available
    >> you can use dd or rsync - and probably some other tools.
    >>
    >> 4) you will have to install grub (or some other boot loader) to the MBR
    >> and have it point to the new partition - or use the ms loader - I'm not
    >> familiar with that.
    >>
    >> 5) change the entry points in /etc/fstab to point to the new locations.

    > Partimage restore requires source and destination partitions be the same
    > size. Use tar if the destination partition is larger.

    Or, make it the same size and expand it later using gparted.

  7. Re: Copying whole hard disk.

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:16:38 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    >> Upon any boot, you should see the GRUB menu, and choose Windows or
    >> Linux for that session!

    > I don't think I want that.

    What do you want instead?

    Note, you can set a default OS and a period of time after which the
    system will boot into the default OS. You can even configure grub to boot
    into the OS chosen last time.

    ---<(kaimartin)>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak