Graphic card changed - Debian

This is a discussion on Graphic card changed - Debian ; Hi After debian installation I've changed my graphic card, and now I get by login always the monitor message:- Mode changed. Do you have any suggestions what I can do to eliminate it. Franz-Josef...

  1. Graphic card changed

    Hi

    After debian installation I've changed my graphic card, and now I
    get by login always the monitor message:- Mode changed. Do you have
    any suggestions what I can do to eliminate it.

    Franz-Josef

  2. Re: Graphic card changed

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:37:11 +0000, Dr. Franz-Josef Huecker wrote:

    > After debian installation I've changed my graphic card, and now I
    > get by login always the monitor message:- Mode changed. Do you have
    > any suggestions what I can do to eliminate it.

    I'd suggest you properly configure your xorg.conf file to reflect the new
    video card, including changing the driver, if necessary.

    Of course, I expect you'll find that rather difficult...

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the prunes began to work.

  3. Re: Graphic card changed

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:46:39 -0500, Dan C
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:37:11 +0000, Dr. Franz-Josef Huecker wrote:
    >
    >> After debian installation I've changed my graphic card, and now I
    >> get by login always the monitor message:- Mode changed. Do you have
    >> any suggestions what I can do to eliminate it.

    >I'd suggest you properly configure your xorg.conf file to reflect the new
    >video card, including changing the driver, if necessary.

    >Of course, I expect you'll find that rather difficult...

    By xorg.conf etc. I see only the new graphic card who works fine, but
    if I login I get always the msg Mode changed - and I do not know how
    can I eliminate it.

    Franz-Josef

  4. Re: Graphic card changed

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:37:11 +0000, Dr. Franz-Josef Huecker wrote:
    >
    >> After debian installation I've changed my graphic card, and now I
    >> get by login always the monitor message:- Mode changed. Do you have
    >> any suggestions what I can do to eliminate it.

    > I'd suggest you properly configure your xorg.conf file to reflect the new
    > video card, including changing the driver, if necessary.

    > Of course, I expect you'll find that rather difficult...

    Not that difficult. Run dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg as root.
    Of course make a backup of the xorg.conf file first just in case.

  5. Re: Graphic card changed

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:48:59 -0500, bk wrote:

    >Not that difficult. Run dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg as root.
    >Of course make a backup of the xorg.conf file first just in case.

    Hi Dan

    You are right. After it I doesn't get the message "Attention: New
    Mode" at my login screen, but now the debian desktop screen doesn't
    start and it seems, at the console, I have a wrong charset. However: I
    don't know how can I fix it really.

    Franz-Josef

  6. Re: Graphic card changed

    Dr. Franz-Josef Huecker wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:48:59 -0500, bk wrote:
    >
    >> Not that difficult. Run dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg as root.
    >> Of course make a backup of the xorg.conf file first just in case.

    > Hi Dan
    >
    > You are right. After it I doesn't get the message "Attention: New
    > Mode" at my login screen, but now the debian desktop screen doesn't
    > start and it seems, at the console, I have a wrong charset. However: I
    > don't know how can I fix it really.
    >
    > Franz-Josef

    Hi Franz,

    Sorry, its been a while since I had to use that command. When it drops
    you to the console type "startx" and hit enter (you may have to login
    first) and that should bring up your desktop. IIRC next time you reboot
    it will be back to normal. Hopefully this works.

    Brad

  7. Re: Graphic card changed

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:06:01 -0500, bk wrote:

    >Sorry, its been a while since I had to use that command. When it drops
    >you to the console type "startx" and hit enter (you may have to login
    >first) and that should bring up your desktop. IIRC next time you reboot
    >it will be back to normal. Hopefully this works.

    Hi Brad

    Thanks for suggestions. Maybe I should again explain that I start
    Ubuntu with grub. With the login screen I get a message from my
    monitor "Attention: New Mode".... And after login Ubuntu works
    properly.

    dpkg-reconfigure change the Intel driver i810 to vesa., and now I
    don't get the message, but gnome doesn't start. OK, now I can start
    gnome with startx and it does work properly. But after shutdown and a
    new start of Ubuntu there is the same as before - that means: Gnome
    doesn't only start with startx.

    And it seems the only way to get now the Attention-Message is to
    change the driver from i810 to vesa or there is a problem grub ->
    ubuntu login screen ... ?

    Franz-Josef

  8. Re: Graphic card changed

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:33:20 +0000, Dr. Franz-Josef Huecker wrote:

    > dpkg-reconfigure change the Intel driver i810 to vesa., and now I don't
    > get the message, but gnome doesn't start.

    That is, you get a login prompt on a text screen, is it?
    (Please log in as a user, not as root.)

    What happens if you try start the gnome display manager (gdm) manually at
    this point? (This is supposed to bring up the standard ubuntu login GUI.)

    > OK, now I can start gnome with startx and it does work properly.

    ^^^^^^
    Actually you don't start "gnome" but xwindows which in turn will bring up
    several key applications of the gnome desktop environment. That is, a
    window manager (probably metacity), a menu application (gnome-panel), a
    file manager (nautilus), some services that do their job in the
    background (gnome-volume-manager, gnome-vfs-daemon ...) and probably some
    default applications like evolution.

    It would be easier to track down your problem, if your descriptions would
    be be more specific. I understand, that the layers and applications can
    be confusing for the newbie. You may refer to wikipedia for a concise
    description of all those components that create your desktop:

    xwindwos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xwindows
    gdm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Display_Manager
    window manager: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing_window_manager
    metacity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacity
    gnome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME
    In some cases the German version of an article is better suited to the
    uninitiated non-nerd ;-)

    ---<(kaimartin>)---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    http://lilalaser.de/blog

  9. Re: Graphic card changed

    On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:17:55 +0000 (UTC), Kai-Martin Knaak
    wrote:

    >Actually you don't start "gnome" but xwindows which in turn will bring up
    >several key applications of the gnome desktop environment. That is, a
    >window manager (probably metacity), a menu application (gnome-panel), a
    >file manager (nautilus), some services that do their job in the
    >background (gnome-volume-manager, gnome-vfs-daemon ...) and probably some
    >default applications like evolution.

    Hi Kai-Martin

    Thanks for suggestion, thanks all. The solution was only two clicks at
    my display configuration (TFT) AUTO + OK, and now I can say: all works
    really wonderful! :-)

    Franz-Josef

+ Reply to Thread