init process + dhcp ? - Debian

This is a discussion on init process + dhcp ? - Debian ; Trying to help my dad track down where/why/when a process is being called during system boot up sequence. Is there a config file or something that orders the processes? I know about init.d and rcS, but I'm not sure if ...

  1. init process + dhcp ?

    Trying to help my dad track down where/why/when a process is being called
    during system boot up sequence. Is there a config file or something that
    orders the processes? I know about init.d and rcS, but I'm not sure if
    that's really what is needed...

    Here's his problem: (running Deb/Sid, by the way...)

    During system initialization his system is looking for his wired connection
    about midway through the boot process. DHCP sits and "looks" for a host for
    about 2 minutes, then it moves on.

    I just need to figure out what file is calling that process. I know how to
    move the init process by renumbering the process to a later process count.
    I wrote a script, for example that started his wireless dhclient last thing
    before login so that the device would be initialized by udev and the
    module would be accessed by the kernel.

    So basically I want to get rid of the dhcp check earlier in the boot
    process, but I don't know where to look for the script which shows the
    order of sequences called.

    I don't think the answer is in init.d anymore but for the life of me I can't
    figure anything else out!

    Hope this is not too confusing.

  2. Re: init process + dhcp ?

    On 08/28/2007 04:05 PM, Mark Shelby wrote:
    > Trying to help my dad track down where/why/when a process is being called
    > during system boot up sequence. Is there a config file or something that
    > orders the processes? I know about init.d and rcS, but I'm not sure if
    > that's really what is needed...
    >
    > Here's his problem: (running Deb/Sid, by the way...)
    >
    > During system initialization his system is looking for his wired connection
    > about midway through the boot process. DHCP sits and "looks" for a host for
    > about 2 minutes, then it moves on.
    >
    > I just need to figure out what file is calling that process. I know how to
    > move the init process by renumbering the process to a later process count.
    > I wrote a script, for example that started his wireless dhclient last thing
    > before login so that the device would be initialized by udev and the
    > module would be accessed by the kernel.
    >
    > So basically I want to get rid of the dhcp check earlier in the boot
    > process, but I don't know where to look for the script which shows the
    > order of sequences called.

    Please rephrase this. I don't know what the "order of sequences called"
    means.

    > I don't think the answer is in init.d anymore but for the life of me I can't
    > figure anything else out!
    >
    > Hope this is not too confusing.

    Look at /etc/init.d/rc

  3. Re: init process + dhcp ?

    Mark Shelby wrote:
    > During system initialization his system is looking for his wired connection
    > about midway through the boot process. DHCP sits and "looks" for a host for
    > about 2 minutes, then it moves on.
    >
    > I just need to figure out what file is calling that process. I know how to
    > move the init process by renumbering the process to a later process count.
    > I wrote a script, for example that started his wireless dhclient last thing
    > before login so that the device would be initialized by udev and the
    > module would be accessed by the kernel.

    Seems like a network issue to me, but then I'm no expert. Have you read
    through the Debian Reference (Chapter 10) and the following?

    /etc/network/interfaces
    man interfaces

    The "allow-hotplug" and "pre-up" options might help?
    --
    Dave N

    N.B. Mail sent to "nospam" will be rejected. The Reply-To address works.

  4. Re: init process + dhcp ?

    > So basically I want to get rid of the dhcp check earlier in the boot
    > process, but I don't know where to look for the script which shows the
    > order of sequences called.

    The place to do what you want is as poster Dave N wrote. Remove the
    "auto" from the stanza for the wired interface in /etc/network/interfaces.
    You could also remove the DHCP from that interface if you don't need it to
    obtain an IP address.

    Mark, this would have also been the place to do what you have described
    for the wireless interface. It seems you've done it a different way with
    your script and that is fine if it works for you, there is almost always
    more than one way to do things. I wonder where you put this script. I
    suggest you follow Dave N's other advice too and read the man page and
    reference.

    As to the question you asked about the init process you might also want
    to read section 2.4, The Debian boot process, in the aforementioned Debian
    Reference. Simple answer would be that they are run in alpha-numeric
    order, if they start with an "S", for the runlevel you have configured
    Debian to start in. Init.d is just the place where the scripts reside,
    they are called with links in the various runlevels.
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re....html#contents

+ Reply to Thread