compiz - and how to use it sanely (oh, and giving up sawfish too) - Debian

This is a discussion on compiz - and how to use it sanely (oh, and giving up sawfish too) - Debian ; Howdy good folks of the internet... I've finally got 3D acceleration going again; I had to rip out a bunch of symlinks I'd thrown around the place trying to get Mesa going back before I had a decent graphics card, ...

  1. compiz - and how to use it sanely (oh, and giving up sawfish too)

    Howdy good folks of the internet...

    I've finally got 3D acceleration going again; I had to rip out a bunch
    of symlinks I'd thrown around the place trying to get Mesa going back
    before I had a decent graphics card, along with a few extra mesa
    packages that were holding some diversions and what-not.

    Anyhow, thought I'd try out compiz, for a bit of compositing. I've
    heard a little about compositing, and I've seen Windoze Vista do it,
    so I figured it might be interesting to check out.

    Running compiz required replacing my usual window manager with
    gtk-window-decorator, which really isn't very nice, in my opinion...
    And even then, when all was said and done, it was chewing up a nasty
    amount of CPU time, and had some noticeable delays with the visual
    appearance lagging slightly behind the functionality. For example, I
    could click a button and the dialog would close before it highlighted.
    Now, I'm used to that from when my system gets overloaded, and I click
    a few buttons and it doesn't respond at all for 10 seconds, then
    everything happens all at once. But here I click a button, and the
    application reacts, but the display doesn't. Which is just odd.

    So I'm guessing there's more to the compositing story than that... I
    plan to go Googling a little later, but from what I recall of my last
    look into Google on this matter, I still don't quite understand how it
    all goes together. I recall some mention of Beryl (which I think is a
    fancy window manager), and AIGLX (which I think is something that's
    supposed to make the compositing work better behind the scenes), but
    neither of those appear to be part of Debian, and that AIGLX thing
    sounds like it's a replacement X server.

    So based on that (quite possible faulty) assumption, I'm a little
    hesitant to look much further into it. Last time I changed X servers
    (Xfree to xorg), it took me, well, from when it needed help just to
    install cleanly, right up until now, to iron out the kinks.

    Besides, I'm very partial to my old sawfish, even if it doesn't quite
    support everything. I have some very strange key/mouse combinations
    that let me do things like work with a window without raising it to
    the top, workspace flipping by keyboard unless I'm dragging something,
    and other rather handy tidbits... Which is the other reason I'm asking
    on here, not only do I want to see if I can get compositing working
    without chewing through my rather antique (still) processor, but I'm
    wondering if there's any hope for getting it working with a window
    manager that looks nice, and at the same time can be bent around as
    many corners as sawfish. I don't even care for compositing within the
    window manager at all, just as long as apps that want it can use it
    (a program I've written myself could do with a translucent heads-up
    type appearance).

    I'm all for Gnome's simplification of everything else, (although
    control of an applets appearance on the panel would be nice, I'd like
    the task list to be a little lighter than the rest, and I could do with
    the notification area split into two lines verticaly), but I'd like
    them to keep their hands off my window manager. Keyboard and mouse
    shortcuts and their interaction with things on my screen are one place
    where I like a lot of control. (I personally reckon Gnome would get
    extra interest if they had an "advanced" mode that allowed tweaking,
    even if it came with a disclaimer denying any promise of extra-feature
    compatibility from one version to the next - they could then watch
    what extra features ARE being used, as a guide to what might be good
    to turn into a basic feature next release. But anyhow...)

    So yeah, I'm wondering if there are any other window managers that will
    let me do such things as control whether a mouse click raises a window
    or not.

    Fredderic

  2. Re: compiz - and how to use it sanely (oh, and giving up sawfishtoo)

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:26:11 +1000, Fredderic wrote:

    [lots of text snipped]

    > So yeah, I'm wondering if there are any other window managers that will
    > let me do such things as control whether a mouse click raises a window
    > or not.

    metacity, option raise_on_click

    ---<(kaimartin)>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    http://lilalaser.de/blog

  3. Re: compiz - and how to use it sanely (oh, and giving up sawfishtoo)

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:36:47 +0000 (UTC),
    Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

    >> So yeah, I'm wondering if there are any other window managers that
    >> will let me do such things as control whether a mouse click raises
    >> a window or not.

    > metacity, option raise_on_click

    Yeah, funny. Thanks. How'd you know I needed a laugh right about
    now?

    Fredderic

+ Reply to Thread