using partimage to image to another machine - Debian

This is a discussion on using partimage to image to another machine - Debian ; I've got an Ubuntu 6.06.1 setup that I'm trying to image onto another machine with identical hardware. I was able to take an image of the machine no problem but can't restore it to another machine. I'm using SystemRescueCD, and ...

  1. using partimage to image to another machine

    I've got an Ubuntu 6.06.1 setup that I'm trying to image onto another
    machine with identical hardware. I was able to take an image of the
    machine no problem but can't restore it to another machine. I'm using
    SystemRescueCD, and I'm having a hard time getting partimage to see my
    partitions. I've tried the following:

    creating new partitions using fdisk - partimage does not see the
    partitions at all. when I run partimage, at the top where the
    partitions are supposed to be, there is nothing.

    creating new partitions using parted then setting one partition to
    be the boot partition using fdisk - partimage sees the partitions,
    images the partition, but then the machine doesn't boot

    copying the mbr from the source - dd if=/dev/cciss/c0d0 of=backup-
    cciss.mbr count=1 bs=512; dd if=backup-cciss.mbr of=/dev/cciss/c0d0 -
    doing this, fdisk sees the partitions, but diskpart does not.

    Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: using partimage to image to another machine

    dylan wrote:
    > I've got an Ubuntu 6.06.1 setup that I'm trying to image onto another
    > machine with identical hardware. I was able to take an image of the
    > machine no problem but can't restore it to another machine. I'm using
    > SystemRescueCD, and I'm having a hard time getting partimage to see my
    > partitions. I've tried the following:
    >
    > creating new partitions using fdisk - partimage does not see the
    > partitions at all. when I run partimage, at the top where the
    > partitions are supposed to be, there is nothing.
    >
    > creating new partitions using parted then setting one partition to
    > be the boot partition using fdisk - partimage sees the partitions,
    > images the partition, but then the machine doesn't boot
    >
    > copying the mbr from the source - dd if=/dev/cciss/c0d0 of=backup-
    > cciss.mbr count=1 bs=512; dd if=backup-cciss.mbr of=/dev/cciss/c0d0 -
    > doing this, fdisk sees the partitions, but diskpart does not.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks!

    try clonezilla http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/

+ Reply to Thread