circular dependency on upgrade from sarge - Debian

This is a discussion on circular dependency on upgrade from sarge - Debian ; Hi, I try to upgrade a box that had been running sarge for quite some time. This seems to include an upgrade of an upgrade of libc6, which complains that it needs a 2.6 kernel and suggests to install a ...

  1. circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    Hi,

    I try to upgrade a box that had been running sarge for quite some time.
    This seems to include an upgrade of an upgrade of libc6, which complains
    that it needs a 2.6 kernel and suggests to install a proper kernel first.
    Now the kernel currently run is indeed 2.4:
    /------------------------
    webber:/home/kmk# uname -a
    Linux webber 2.4.27-2-586tsc #1 Wed Nov 30 21:29:45 JST 2005 i586 GNU/Linux
    \------------------------

    If I try to install a 2.6 kernel image I get:
    /------------------------
    webber:/home/kmk# apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6.18-5-486
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    binutils: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.5-12.1 is to be installed
    libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.6.1-1) but 2.3.5-12.1 is to be installed
    linux-image-2.6.18-5-486: Depends: coreutils (>= 5.96) but 5.93-5 is to be installed
    Depends: initramfs-tools (>= 0.55) but it is not going to be installed or
    yaird (>= 0.0.12-8) but it is not going to be installed or
    linux-initramfs-tool
    locales: Depends: glibc-2.6-1
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    \--------------------------

    The suggested command gets me back to where I came from:
    /--------------------------
    webber:/home/kmk# apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    libc6
    Suggested packages:
    glibc-doc
    libc6
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 325 not upgraded.
    5 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/4405kB of archives.
    After unpacking 6242kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    libc6
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    (Reading database ... 35941 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.5-12.1 (using .../libc6_2.6.1-1_i386.deb) ...
    WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
    2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
    before installing glibc.

    The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
    first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
    please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
    apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
    Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1_i386.deb
    \--------------------------

    This is my /etc/apt/sources.list
    /-------------
    deb ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ stable contrib main non-free
    deb-src ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ stable contrib main non-free
    deb ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
    deb-src ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
    \-------------

    Any hint?

    ---<(kaimartin)>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    http://lilalaser.de/blog

  2. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    [edit]
    > Any hint?

    Did you read the release notes for Etch previous to starting the upgrade?
    And, did you follow the procedure in those release notes?

  3. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 04:15:52 -0700, Rodney wrote:

    > Did you read the release notes for Etch previous to starting the
    > upgrade? And, did you follow the procedure in those release notes?

    Ok, you got me red handed
    I overestimated the ability of "apt-get dist-upgrade" to deal with this
    kind of problems.

    What can I do to dig me out of this hole?
    Use apt-get with some --force options?
    Build a local kernel image from source?
    Use the GUI interface of aptitude to manually select what packages to
    install?

    ---<(kaimartin)>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    http://lilalaser.de/blog

  4. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    Kai-Martin Knaak writes:
    >On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 04:15:52 -0700, Rodney wrote:
    >
    >> Did you read the release notes for Etch previous to starting the
    >> upgrade? And, did you follow the procedure in those release notes?

    >Ok, you got me red handed
    >I overestimated the ability of "apt-get dist-upgrade" to deal with this
    >kind of problems.

    Don't worry, apt-get worked nicely for the sarge->etch upgrade on a
    number of machines round here, while aptitude cause a lot of work that
    eventually came to nothing: IIRC it wanted to deinstall lprng for
    installing gthumb; apt-get installed gthumb without such nonsense, so
    I went back to apt-get.

    - anton

  5. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:25:39 GMT,
    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) wrote:

    >> Ok, you got me red handed
    >> I overestimated the ability of "apt-get dist-upgrade" to deal with
    >> this kind of problems.

    > Don't worry, apt-get worked nicely for the sarge->etch upgrade on a
    > number of machines round here, while aptitude cause a lot of work that
    > eventually came to nothing: IIRC it wanted to deinstall lprng for
    > installing gthumb; apt-get installed gthumb without such nonsense, so
    > I went back to apt-get.

    I've had similar experiences with aptitude and synaptic and co.

    I mean, I've had apt-get wanting to uninstall great swaths of my
    system on numerous occasions. Right now it wants to uninstall pidgin
    due to a conflict with the version of the pidgin and pidgin-data
    packages, so I just sit back and relax for a week or two until they
    sort it out. I've even accidentally let apt start ripping great chunks
    out when I hit the wrong key before bolting to the toilet. That was fun
    to recover from, even more fun than when it uninstalled
    linux-utils, so I no longer had the getopt command. But then I run
    Debian/Sid, so you get that.

    But my attempts to use anything other than dselect/apt-get have run
    into problems that they cruised through, and generally speaking, if
    apt-get couldn't sort it out, neither could anything else.

    The only thing missing from dselect/apt-get, is the ability to
    track the difference between packages I've selected to install, and
    packages that were installed as dependencies (and hence I'd like to see
    removed when they're no longer needed).

    Fredderic

  6. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
    > This is my /etc/apt/sources.list
    > /-------------
    > deb ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ stable contrib main non-free
    > deb-src ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ stable contrib main non-free
    > deb ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
    > deb-src ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
    > \-------------
    >
    > Any hint?

    Try commenting out the "testing" lines above, running apt-get update and
    trying again? With the above and no apt/preference etc you will be
    trying to run a mix of stable (etch) and testing (lenny) at the moment.

  7. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:13:34 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 04:15:52 -0700, Rodney wrote:
    >
    >> Did you read the release notes for Etch previous to starting the
    >> upgrade? And, did you follow the procedure in those release notes?

    > Ok, you got me red handed I overestimated the ability of
    > "apt-get dist-upgrade" to deal with this kind of problems.
    >
    > What can I do to dig me out of this hole? Use apt-get with some --force
    > options? Build a local kernel image from source? Use the GUI interface of
    > aptitude to manually select what packages to install?
    >
    > ---<(kaimartin)>---

    I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer about this. You asked for a
    hint and I thought by reading through the release notes you might be able
    to determine what might work for the situation that your system got into.

    You could try to do the dreaded "downgrade" to get back to a sarge install
    (or something close) and start again but as poster Paul Cupis mentioned
    about the testing lines, it looks like you weren't running a pure sarge
    system anyway. Make sure you don't have anything pinned that could be
    getting in the way of the package manager's ability to work. Slogging
    through this manually may be what you end up doing, with a harsh but
    useful lesson for the next release.

    How customised is your system, you could save your /home and do a fresh
    install of etch (possibly on a different partition) and then spend the
    time to reconfigure anything that needs it. But manually dealing with that
    libc6 issue might be enough. Paul Cupis's advice is probably what I
    would try first. I truly wish you good luck.

    Note: If you have been using apt-get all along, there usually are issues
    with switching to aptitude. What you have to do is "keep all" first but
    I don't think that would be advised at this point. It seems the
    Debian developers have decided that Aptitude is the future, so I think we
    might as well become familiar with it.

  8. Re: circular dependency on upgrade from sarge

    An addition to the post.

    Another thing for you to consider trying (if you're still at the same
    point).
    apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 intramfs-tools
    There was some mention of the initrd creator in your error report, perhaps
    if you try to install the new kernel from etch and it at the same time...

+ Reply to Thread