P2P Software - Debian

This is a discussion on P2P Software - Debian ; Hi all, Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but anything that works well would also be good. Thanks in advance, Tony....

  1. P2P Software

    Hi all,

    Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    anything that works well would also be good.

    Thanks in advance,

    Tony.

  2. Re: P2P Software

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:00:04 +0000, Tony Peardon wrote:

    > Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    > software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    > anything that works well would also be good.

    LimeWire.

  3. Re: P2P Software

    Dan C schreef:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:00:04 +0000, Tony Peardon wrote:
    >
    >> Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    >> software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    >> anything that works well would also be good.

    > LimeWire.

    Or FrostWire, which in contrast to LimeWire is free (no nag screens and
    advertisements), just try apt-get install frostwire. Here's the homepage:

    http://www.frostwire.com

    Cheers
    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  4. Re: P2P Software

    On 08/21/2007 05:00 PM, Tony Peardon wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    > software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    > anything that works well would also be good.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Tony.

    Gtk-gnutella, limewire, apollon, and the giFT clients seem to support
    anonymous file-sharing, but don't have encryption.

    Although Gaim is an instant messenger, it can probably be used for
    file-sharing, and the gaim-otr plugin allows Gaim to support encryption.

    I've used both gtk-gnutella and limewire, and I think limewire is better.

    To search for giFT clients, issue these commands:

    aptitude search '~Pgift-client'
    aptitude search '~dpeer to peer'

    Limewire (a gnutella client) is not in Debian, but you can get it from
    Limewire.com. Look at the wikipedia page on gnutella to get a list of
    other gnutella clients.

  5. Re: P2P Software

    Tony Peardon wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    > software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    > anything that works well would also be good.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Tony.

    aMule works here.

    Edmund

  6. Re: P2P Software

    Edmund wrote:
    > Tony Peardon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    >> software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    >> anything that works well would also be good.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Tony.

    > aMule works here.
    >
    > Edmund

    Frostwire, it is about the same thing as limwire

  7. Re: P2P Software

    Tony Peardon wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    > software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    > anything that works well would also be good.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Tony.

    aMule is pretty good.

  8. Re: P2P Software

    ml2mst wrote:

    > Dan C schreef:
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:00:04 +0000, Tony Peardon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could someone please recommend a good piece of peer to peer filesharing
    >>> software. Something that is annonomous and encrypted would be best, but
    >>> anything that works well would also be good.

    >> LimeWire.

    > Or FrostWire, which in contrast to LimeWire is free (no nag screens and
    > advertisements), just try apt-get install frostwire. Here's the homepage:

    "apt-get install frostwire"
    gives me :

    ----------
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package frostwire
    -------------

    Can you tell me what the command
    "apt-get install frostwire"
    is actually doing?

    > http://www.frostwire.com

    I found that and downloaded "frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb"
    OK now what? Unpacking gives me:
    control.tar.gz
    data.tar.gz
    debian.binary

    On the webside there is "click istall.exe" for windows
    but for Linux where the commands for installing a package
    is different each and every time there is NO info :-)

    Edmund

  9. Re: P2P Software

    Edmund wrote:
    > ml2mst wrote:

    >> http://www.frostwire.com

    > I found that and downloaded "frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb"
    > OK now what? Unpacking gives me:
    > control.tar.gz
    > data.tar.gz
    > debian.binary
    >
    > On the webside there is "click istall.exe" for windows
    > but for Linux where the commands for installing a package
    > is different each and every time there is NO info :-)

    To install a .deb package manually, you run "dpkg -i foo.deb" as root
    (where foo.deb is a the package name) or install 'gdebi' and you will be
    to double-click on the .deb to install it.

  10. Re: P2P Software

    On 08/27/2007 03:50 AM, Edmund wrote:
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C schreef:

    >>> LimeWire.

    >> Or FrostWire, which in contrast to LimeWire is free (no nag screens and
    >> advertisements), just try apt-get install frostwire. Here's the homepage:

    > "apt-get install frostwire"
    > gives me :
    >
    > ----------
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree... Done
    > E: Couldn't find package frostwire
    > -------------
    >
    > Can you tell me what the command
    > "apt-get install frostwire"
    > is actually doing?

    Read this:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re.../index.en.html

    Try to read the entire document. Save it to disk and read it offline (if
    you're on dial-up).

    >> http://www.frostwire.com

    > I found that and downloaded "frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb"
    > OK now what? Unpacking gives me:
    > control.tar.gz
    > data.tar.gz
    > debian.binary
    >
    > On the webside there is "click istall.exe" for windows
    > but for Linux where the commands for installing a package
    > is different each and every time there is NO info :-)
    >

    > Edmund

    Files that end with .deb are installed using the dpkg utility. Delete
    control.tar.gz, data.tar.gz and debian.binary. Then install frostwire
    using dpkg:

    dpkg --install frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb

    I hope this helps.

  11. Re: P2P Software

    Paul Cupis wrote:

    > Edmund wrote:
    >> ml2mst wrote:

    >>> http://www.frostwire.com

    >> I found that and downloaded "frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb"
    >> OK now what? Unpacking gives me:
    >> control.tar.gz
    >> data.tar.gz
    >> debian.binary
    >>
    >> On the webside there is "click istall.exe" for windows
    >> but for Linux where the commands for installing a package
    >> is different each and every time there is NO info :-)

    > To install a .deb package manually, you run "dpkg -i foo.deb" as root
    > (where foo.deb is a the package name) or install 'gdebi' and you will be
    > to double-click on the .deb to install it.

    OK Thanks it is installed now.
    Sorry to ask, but now what? I've got
    a icon "Frostwire" under Applications>Internet
    I can click it and all nut I do not see anything
    happen!?
    I am using Debian Etch and Gnome.
    Where can I find any howto of this program?

    Edmund

  12. Re: P2P Software

    Edmund wrote:
    > OK Thanks it is installed now.
    > Sorry to ask, but now what? I've got
    > a icon "Frostwire" under Applications>Internet
    > I can click it and all nut I do not see anything
    > happen!?
    > I am using Debian Etch and Gnome.
    > Where can I find any howto of this program?

    I think you'll have to read the website/get in touch with the program
    authors. Unless anyone here uses it or wants to install it, there is
    little we can help with beyond how to install the package.

    The website does suggest you require Java on your machine - do you have
    Java installed? Package "sun-java5-jre" is available from the Debian
    'non-free' repository.

    You might be able to get more information about what is happening by
    running 'frostwire' from a terminal window
    (Application->Accessories->Terminal).

  13. Re: P2P Software

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:35:31 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    >> Edmund wrote:

    >>> I found that and downloaded "frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb"
    >>> OK now what? Unpacking gives me:
    >>> control.tar.gz
    >>> data.tar.gz
    >>> debian.binary
    >>>
    >>> On the webside there is "click istall.exe" for windows
    >>> but for Linux where the commands for installing a package
    >>> is different each and every time there is NO info :-)

    >> To install a .deb package manually, you run "dpkg -i foo.deb" as root
    >> (where foo.deb is a the package name) or install 'gdebi' and you will be
    >> to double-click on the .deb to install it.

    > OK Thanks it is installed now.
    > Sorry to ask, but now what? I've got
    > a icon "Frostwire" under Applications>Internet
    > I can click it and all nut I do not see anything
    > happen!?
    > I am using Debian Etch and Gnome.
    > Where can I find any howto of this program?
    >
    > Edmund

    Have a look on their website above at the faqs.HTH

    --
    Neil

  14. Re: P2P Software

    Edmund wrote:
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C schreef:

    >>> LimeWire.

    >> Or FrostWire, which in contrast to LimeWire is free (no nag screens and
    >> advertisements), just try apt-get install frostwire. Here's the homepage:

    > "apt-get install frostwire"
    > gives me :
    >
    > ----------
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree... Done
    > E: Couldn't find package frostwire
    > -------------
    >
    > Can you tell me what the command
    > "apt-get install frostwire"
    > is actually doing?
    >> http://www.frostwire.com

    > I found that and downloaded "frostwire-4.13.2.i586.deb"
    > OK now what? Unpacking gives me:
    > control.tar.gz
    > data.tar.gz
    > debian.binary
    >
    > On the webside there is "click istall.exe" for windows
    > but for Linux where the commands for installing a package
    > is different each and every time there is NO info :-)
    >

    > Edmund

    I use Mint linux, wich is based on Ubuntu Feisty, which is based on Debian.
    I just installed Frostwire with synaptic, I think it is in the Feisty
    commercial repository, which is included by default in Mint.

    Mint is about the same as ubuntu, but it has a number of things
    installed by default (audio-video codecs, commercial repos,...)

    Marc

  15. Re: P2P Software

    Paul Cupis wrote:

    > Edmund wrote:
    >> OK Thanks it is installed now.
    >> Sorry to ask, but now what? I've got
    >> a icon "Frostwire" under Applications>Internet
    >> I can click it and all nut I do not see anything
    >> happen!?
    >> I am using Debian Etch and Gnome.
    >> Where can I find any howto of this program?

    > I think you'll have to read the website/get in touch with the program
    > authors. Unless anyone here uses it or wants to install it, there is
    > little we can help with beyond how to install the package.
    >
    > The website does suggest you require Java on your machine - do you have
    > Java installed? Package "sun-java5-jre" is available from the Debian
    > 'non-free' repository.

    That was it, I installed the java package and it works!

    Thank you

    Edmund

+ Reply to Thread