SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch - Debian

This is a discussion on SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch - Debian ; I am trying to install Debian Etch on a new system that uses the ATI SB600 chipset. The installer refuses to find my SATA disk. Here are details: Debian Image: debian-40r0-amd64-netinst CPU: AMD64 X2 5200+ Memory: 4 GB PC2 5300 ...

  1. SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch

    I am trying to install Debian Etch on a new system that uses the ATI
    SB600 chipset. The installer refuses to find my SATA disk.

    Here are details:

    Debian Image: debian-40r0-amd64-netinst
    CPU: AMD64 X2 5200+
    Memory: 4 GB PC2 5300
    Disk: 2 WD CAVIAR 200 GB SATA

    Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    jon

  2. Re: SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch

    Jonathan L. Poland wrote:
    > I am trying to install Debian Etch on a new system that uses the ATI
    > SB600 chipset. The installer refuses to find my SATA disk.
    >
    > Here are details:
    >
    > Debian Image: debian-40r0-amd64-netinst
    > CPU: AMD64 X2 5200+
    > Memory: 4 GB PC2 5300
    > Disk: 2 WD CAVIAR 200 GB SATA
    >
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    Does the BIOS have an option for configuring the SATA in "legacy" or
    "emulation" mode?

  3. Re: SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Jonathan L. Poland wrote:
    >> I am trying to install Debian Etch on a new system that uses the ATI
    >> SB600 chipset. The installer refuses to find my SATA disk.
    >>
    >> Here are details:
    >>
    >> Debian Image: debian-40r0-amd64-netinst
    >> CPU: AMD64 X2 5200+
    >> Memory: 4 GB PC2 5300
    >> Disk: 2 WD CAVIAR 200 GB SATA
    >>
    >> Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    > Does the BIOS have an option for configuring the SATA in "legacy" or
    > "emulation" mode?

    BIOS options include
    - Native IDE
    - RAID
    - Legacy IDE
    - SATA->AHCI

    I've tried all 4 modes & behavior is the the same.

    BTW - I'm in process of installing ia32 at the moment and it does not
    look as if it has the same problems. I suspect that this is some kind
    of 64 bit problem with the SB600 chip set.

  4. Re: SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch

    "Jonathan L. Poland" writes:
    >Paul Cupis wrote:
    >> Jonathan L. Poland wrote:
    >>> I am trying to install Debian Etch on a new system that uses the ATI
    >>> SB600 chipset. The installer refuses to find my SATA disk.
    >>>
    >>> Here are details:
    >>>
    >>> Debian Image: debian-40r0-amd64-netinst

    >BIOS options include
    >- Native IDE
    >- RAID
    >- Legacy IDE
    >- SATA->AHCI
    >
    >I've tried all 4 modes & behavior is the the same.

    I would expect Legacy IDE and AHCI to work in any case (they should
    work with the same drivers independent of the chipset).

    >BTW - I'm in process of installing ia32 at the moment and it does not
    >look as if it has the same problems. I suspect that this is some kind
    >of 64 bit problem with the SB600 chip set.

    We are running several boxes with 64-bit Linux and AHCI. No problems.
    No ATI chipsets, though.

    - anton

  5. Re: SATA Disk not found on AMD64 Etch

    Jonathan L. Poland wrote:
    > I am trying to install Debian Etch on a new system that uses the ATI
    > SB600 chipset. The installer refuses to find my SATA disk.
    >
    > Here are details:
    >
    > Debian Image: debian-40r0-amd64-netinst
    > CPU: AMD64 X2 5200+
    > Memory: 4 GB PC2 5300
    > Disk: 2 WD CAVIAR 200 GB SATA
    >
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > jon

    I had the same problem with the same SB600 chipset in February and am
    doing this from memory so don't remember the exact steps. You need to
    enter the command PCI=NOMSI during boot. You may have to hit a key on
    the first screen when the installer boots from the CD to allow you to
    enter boot options. After I did this, it worked fine. I don't remember
    which mode I was in, but it was either AHCI or legacy IDE. I'll try to
    remember to check tonight when I get home and post back.

    Brad

+ Reply to Thread