Installing firefox how? - Debian

This is a discussion on Installing firefox how? - Debian ; After installing updates today, epiphany doesn't seem to download some files anymore, or is the file missing? ---------------- http://greekgreek.mylivepage.com/fil..._17.08.07b.zip ----------------- Now I want to try firefox but how do I install that in Debian etch? I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from ...

  1. Installing firefox how?

    ----------------
    http://greekgreek.mylivepage.com/fil..._17.08.07b.zip
    -----------------

    Now I want to try firefox but how do I install that
    in Debian etch?
    I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    Cannot find a simple howto on the firefox site,
    can someone tell me step by step how to make this
    firefox working on my system/

    Edmund

  2. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:

    > After installing updates today, epiphany doesn't seem to download some files
    > anymore, or is the file missing?
    >
    > ----------------
    > http://greekgreek.mylivepage.com/fil...ey.bin_ToH9.1_
    > New_01_key_Polsat_Digital%2B_Cabo_PW_17.08.07b.zip
    > -----------------

    Page opened fine and I got the file. It is NOT a ZIP tho'.

    > Now I want to try firefox but how do I install that in Debian etch? I
    > downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ Cannot find a simple howto on the
    > firefox site, can someone tell me step by step how to make this firefox
    > working on my system/

    Unpack it where you want it and execute the file from there. I've done it in my
    ~/ without problems. However, Iceweasel *IS* Firefox re-branded.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  3. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:

    > I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    > Cannot find a simple howto on the firefox site,
    > can someone tell me step by step how to make this
    > firefox working on my system/

    BTW, forgot to mention this step by step:
    1) run the file called "firefox"; click it or do it from
    a terminal
    2) use FF

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  4. Re: Installing firefox how?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:
    >
    >> I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    >> Cannot find a simple howto on the firefox site,
    >> can someone tell me step by step how to make this
    >> firefox working on my system/

    > BTW, forgot to mention this step by step:
    > 1) run the file called "firefox"; click it or do it from
    > a terminal

    Clicking it doesn't do a thing.
    in terminal I get "command not found"
    "firefox" IS in the folder.

    > 2) use FF

    "command not found" that can be right this time,
    because there isn't anything called "FF" in this folder.

    Edmund

  5. Re: Installing firefox how?

    >> downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ Cannot find a simple howto on the
    >> firefox site, can someone tell me step by step how to make this firefox
    >> working on my system/
    >>

    > Unpack it where you want it and execute the file from there. I've done it
    > in my ~/ without problems. However, Iceweasel *IS* Firefox re-branded.

    Hello,

    just to say it more concretely: executing means

    open a shell
    go to the firefox folder
    type ./firefox

    Sure enough you can create a short cut on the desktop with the command entry
    '/home/myname/firefox/firefox' or wherever you unpacked the zip

    Best regards
    --
    Dirk Hartmann
    Remove _nospam from my mail adress because of spam protection

  6. Re: Installing firefox how?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:
    >>
    >> After installing updates today, epiphany doesn't seem to download some
    >> files anymore, or is the file missing?
    >>
    >> ----------------
    >> http://greekgreek.mylivepage.com/fil...ey.bin_ToH9.1_
    >> New_01_key_Polsat_Digital%2B_Cabo_PW_17.08.07b.zip
    >> -----------------

    > Page opened fine and I got the file. It is NOT a ZIP tho'.

    The page opens here too but nothing is downloaded.
    In the mean time there is a message on the page
    "Bandwidth limit exceeded" which could be the problem.
    BTW it must be a zip file.

    >> Now I want to try firefox but how do I install that in Debian etch? I
    >> downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ Cannot find a simple howto on the
    >> firefox site, can someone tell me step by step how to make this firefox
    >> working on my system/
    >>

    > Unpack it where you want it and execute the file from there. I've done it
    > in my ~/ without problems. However, Iceweasel *IS* Firefox re-branded.

    I briefly tested iceweasel and it gave me other problems.
    Beside that, what is the fun of renaming programs when it
    is the same thing?

    Edmund

  7. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Dirk Hartmann wrote:

    >>> downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ Cannot find a simple howto on the
    >>> firefox site, can someone tell me step by step how to make this firefox
    >>> working on my system/
    >>>

    >> Unpack it where you want it and execute the file from there. I've done it
    >> in my ~/ without problems. However, Iceweasel *IS* Firefox re-branded.
    >>

    > Hello,
    >
    > just to say it more concretely: executing means
    >
    > open a shell
    > go to the firefox folder
    > type ./firefox

    here I get:
    ../firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot

    At least something happens :-)

    Edmund

  8. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Edmund wrote:

    > here I get:
    > ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5:
    > cannot

    Hello,

    the problem is your libstdc is too old. This has been often reported, just
    google "libstdc++.so.5: cannot " and "firefox". I had the same problem. At
    least I guess you'll find no /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 in the lib directory
    but an older version.
    1) Either you have to upgrade your debian distro. But after I upgraded to
    Debian Sarge stable everything works fine. (The safest way ist: e.g. if you
    use debain woody
    a) update carefully your /etc/apt/sources.list and then
    b) run e.g apt-get dist-upgrade
    But be sure that you know what you're doing)
    2) You have to use an older Firefox release. Don't know which, you have to
    try.

    Best regards
    --
    Dirk Hartmann
    Remove _nospam from my mail adress because of spam protection

  9. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:
    > sk8r-365 wrote:
    >

    >> Page opened fine and I got the file. It is NOT a ZIP tho'.

    > The page opens here too but nothing is downloaded.
    > In the mean time there is a message on the page
    > "Bandwidth limit exceeded" which could be the problem.
    > BTW it must be a zip file.

    You have to click on the link at the top of the page with the file
    name. No, it's not a valid ZIP even tho' there's a ZIP extension. It
    is a Key.

    > I briefly tested iceweasel and it gave me other problems.
    > Beside that, what is the fun of renaming programs when it
    > is the same thing?

    It was re-branded due to legal issues and Debian's FOSS approach. If
    you can't do it in iceweasel then it ain't happening with FF. I have
    the link working in FF, IW, Epiphany and links2 - all can download the
    ZIP.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  10. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Edmund :

    > After installing updates today, epiphany doesn't seem to download
    > some files anymore, or is the file missing?

    I've no idea what that means, sorry.

    > ----------------
    > http://greekgreek.mylivepage.com/fil..._17.08.07b.zip
    > -----------------
    >
    > Now I want to try firefox but how do I install that in Debian etch?
    > I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

    You're doing it wrong. In Debian, you set up /etc/apt/sources.list[*] to
    point to your release (Etch), then:

    aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude install iceweasel

    [Once you've done "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade"[**], you don't
    need to do "aptitude upgrade" again if no security updates have been
    released.] "iceweasel" is Firefox re-branded.

    > Cannot find a simple howto on the firefox site, can someone tell me
    > step by step how to make this firefox working on my system/

    No, it wouldn't be on the Firefox site. It would be on your distro's
    site, debian.org. Try searching the archives of lists.debian.org
    (google: "foo bar site:lists.debian.org"). In fact, spend a lot of
    time on debian.org, and consider wiki.debian.org too. Searching
    groups.google.com (Usenet News archives) is often useful too.

    [*] My /etc/apt/sources.list (the multimedia and google lines are
    optional, and if you don't need/want to compile from sources, the
    "deb-src" lines are optional too):

    ------------------------------------
    deb http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free
    ------------------------------------

    [**] You can do much the same with apt-get, but aptitude works much
    the same way as apt-get, and is recommended over apt-get. YMMV.

  11. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Dirk Hartmann :

    > 1) Either you have to upgrade your debian distro. But after I upgraded to
    > Debian Sarge stable everything works fine. (The safest way ist: e.g. if you
    > use debain woody

    :-O Sarge is "old-stable". It'll soon reach End Of Life. Upgrade to
    Etch! Woody is EOL!

    > 2) You have to use an older Firefox release. Don't know which, you have to

    No, he needs to use a newer version of Debian. Woody should no longer
    be used (except on boxes that don't actually do anything, and are
    never connected to anything). Etch is the currently supported Debian
    stable.

  12. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Edmund wrote:
    > After installing updates today, epiphany doesn't seem
    > to download some files anymore, or is the file missing?
    >
    > ----------------
    > http://greekgreek.mylivepage.com/fil..._17.08.07b.zip
    > -----------------
    >
    > Now I want to try firefox but how do I install that
    > in Debian etch?
    > I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    > Cannot find a simple howto on the firefox site,
    > can someone tell me step by step how to make this
    > firefox working on my system/
    >
    > Edmund

    If you skip all the details, the best way to run any distribution is to
    use the tools provided with that distribution. Don't go out and
    re-invent the wheel.

    For Debian, that means using their package manager to install and remove
    software. Usually you can do this by:
    - opening a terminal
    - su
    - type in the root password
    - apt-get update
    - apt-get install

    If you need to find out what a particular package name is, go to
    debian.org and search the packages (there is a search tool). In your
    case, you need to apt-get install iceweasel

    You should also do an
    - apt-get update
    - apt-get dist-upgrade
    from time to time to keep abreast of security updates.

    You may prefer to install and use synaptic, which is a graphical tool to
    handle packages.

  13. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Edmund wrote:
    > sk8r-365 wrote:
    >
    >> Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:
    >>
    >>> I downloaded firefox (firefox-2.0.0.6.tar.gz) from
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    >>> Cannot find a simple howto on the firefox site,
    >>> can someone tell me step by step how to make this
    >>> firefox working on my system/

    >> BTW, forgot to mention this step by step:
    >> 1) run the file called "firefox"; click it or do it from
    >> a terminal

    > Clicking it doesn't do a thing.
    > in terminal I get "command not found"
    > "firefox" IS in the folder.

    you need to type in ./firefox & . The & backgrounds the process
    so you get back the command prompt right away. The ./ is because Linux
    does not search the current directory for executables.

    >> 2) use FF

    > "command not found" that can be right this time,
    > because there isn't anything called "FF" in this folder.
    >
    > Edmund

  14. Re: Installing firefox how?

    On 08/17/2007 03:44 PM, Edmund wrote:
    > Dirk Hartmann wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> open a shell
    >> go to the firefox folder
    >> type ./firefox

    > here I get:
    > ../firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
    >
    > At least something happens :-)
    >
    > Edmund

    Install the libstdc++5 package.

  15. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Gary Dale wrote:

    > Edmund wrote:

    > If you skip all the details, the best way to run any distribution is to
    > use the tools provided with that distribution.

    I understand that, but I could not find firefox.

    > Don't go out and
    > re-invent the wheel.

    Hmm re-invent, that is what puzzles me a lot in
    all those linux distributions.
    Anyway I need to learn a lot more about linux
    so I want to know how to install/compile packages
    that are not ready for the package managers.

    > For Debian, that means using their package manager to install and remove
    > software. Usually you can do this by:
    > - opening a terminal
    > - su
    > - type in the root password
    > - apt-get update
    > - apt-get install
    >
    > If you need to find out what a particular package name is, go to
    > debian.org and search the packages (there is a search tool).

    That is a good suggestion, thanks.

    Thanks

    Edmund

  16. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Dirk Hartmann wrote:

    > Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> here I get:
    >> ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5:
    >> cannot
    >> open shared object file: No such file or directory

    > Hello,
    >
    > the problem is your libstdc is too old. This has been often reported, just
    > google "libstdc++.so.5: cannot " and "firefox". I had the same problem. At
    > least I guess you'll find no /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 in the lib directory
    > but an older version.
    > 1) Either you have to upgrade your debian distro. But after I upgraded to
    > Debian Sarge stable everything works fine. (The safest way ist: e.g. if
    > you use debain woody
    > a) update carefully your /etc/apt/sources.list and then
    > b) run e.g apt-get dist-upgrade
    > But be sure that you know what you're doing)
    > 2) You have to use an older Firefox release. Don't know which, you have to
    > try.

    Installing libstdc++.so5 solved the problem.
    BTW I am running Etch and the latest firefox
    release seems to work fine now.

    Edmund

  17. Re: Installing firefox how?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Government satellites recorded Edmund saying:
    >> sk8r-365 wrote:

    >> I briefly tested iceweasel and it gave me other problems.
    >> Beside that, what is the fun of renaming programs when it
    >> is the same thing?
    >>

    > It was re-branded due to legal issues and Debian's FOSS approach. If
    > you can't do it in iceweasel then it ain't happening with FF. I have
    > the link working in FF, IW, Epiphany and links2 - all can download the
    > ZIP.

    Thanks for testing that, I managed to download it
    too now. I guess the bandwith limit from the site
    caused the problem.

    Edmund

  18. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Edmund wrote:

    Thanks you all guys.

    Edmund

  19. Re: Installing firefox how?

    Edmund wrote:
    > Gary Dale wrote:
    >
    >> Edmund wrote:

    >> If you skip all the details, the best way to run any distribution is to
    >> use the tools provided with that distribution.

    > I understand that, but I could not find firefox.
    >
    >> Don't go out and
    >> re-invent the wheel.

    > Hmm re-invent, that is what puzzles me a lot in
    > all those linux distributions.
    > Anyway I need to learn a lot more about linux
    > so I want to know how to install/compile packages
    > that are not ready for the package managers.
    >> For Debian, that means using their package manager to install and remove
    >> software. Usually you can do this by:
    >> - opening a terminal
    >> - su
    >> - type in the root password
    >> - apt-get update
    >> - apt-get install
    >>
    >> If you need to find out what a particular package name is, go to
    >> debian.org and search the packages (there is a search tool).

    > That is a good suggestion, thanks.

    Or installing packages the easy way:

    Debian also has a GUI package manager (Aptitude for GNOME or Adept for
    KDE), which is probably in your menu > System and has a search field.

    Firefox, for some weird reason is renamed in Etch to *Iceweazel*, which
    is the reason your not able to find Firefox.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com